Blood pressure and heart rate

Bill Baka

Guest
Just A User wrote:
> Yesterday while I was at the store picking up my latest package of
> claritin allergy stuff I stuck my arm in one of those free blood
> pressure machines. It finished up with a reading of 99/71, with a
> resting heart rate of 49. The blood pressure, from what I have read is
> in low end of the normal range, and the heart rate seems pretty reasonable.
>
> Ken

The blood pressure seems to go down as you ride more, as well as the
heart rate. I have started long summer rides with 120/80 and finished
partly dehydrated with 80/40. If your heart rate showed 49 after walking
around the store a bit, then it is probably more like 45, since it
should be measured before even getting out of bed in the morning. That
is pretty much when it is at rock bottom. Your body temperature should
also be lowest when you wake up. Mine has been as low as 95.2 but soon
comes up to my normal 97.6, so I burn at a lower temp than most.
Everyone should baseline themselves if possible so they at least know
what their personal norms are.
BP can be all over the map during the day, like low after a long ride or
high after a big meal, etc.
If you are a record keeping sort, then you can measure progress and
track changes over time.
Bottom line..The more I ride the better it all gets.
Bill Baka

Just A User wrote:
> Yesterday while I was at the store picking up my latest package of
> claritin allergy stuff I stuck my arm in one of those free blood
> pressure machines. It finished up with a reading of 99/71, with a
> resting heart rate of 49. The blood pressure, from what I have read is
> in low end of the normal range, and the heart rate seems pretty reasonable.
>
> Ken

Ken, if you keep on riding, pretty soon you will have no blood pressure
at all. =]

Just A User wrote:
> Yesterday while I was at the store picking up my latest package of
> claritin allergy stuff I stuck my arm in one of those free blood
> pressure machines. It finished up with a reading of 99/71, with a
> resting heart rate of 49. The blood pressure, from what I have read is
> in low end of the normal range, and the heart rate seems pretty
> reasonable.

Congrats.

If you want to get competitive, Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate in
the 20's.
Here's some cites:
http://www.ask.com/web?q=miguel+indurain+heart+rate+25&qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir

Just A User wrote:
> Yesterday while I was at the store picking up my latest package of
> claritin allergy stuff I stuck my arm in one of those free blood
> pressure machines. It finished up with a reading of 99/71, with a
> resting heart rate of 49. The blood pressure, from what I have read is
> in low end of the normal range, and the heart rate seems pretty reasonable.
>
> Ken

If you are an athlete, say a marathon jogger or serious biker, then such
numbers are normal and commonly seen. As a paramedic, we see it all the
time.

Drugs can push numbers down too, like too much BP medications.

S/S of things too low are dizzy when you suddenly jump up, fainting
spells, etc.

But, most tubby Americans run a hr of 80 with bp 140/80, and if we saw
your numbers coming off a guy with a paunch, that we just pulled out of
a car wreck, we'd start a line and run in some fluid.

PagCal wrote:

> Just A User wrote:
>> Yesterday while I was at the store picking up my latest package of
>> claritin allergy stuff I stuck my arm in one of those free blood
>> pressure machines. It finished up with a reading of 99/71, with a
>> resting heart rate of 49. The blood pressure, from what I have read is
>> in low end of the normal range, and the heart rate seems pretty reasonable.
>>
>> Ken

> If you are an athlete, say a marathon jogger or serious biker, then such
> numbers are normal and commonly seen. As a paramedic, we see it all the
> time.
>
> Drugs can push numbers down too, like too much BP medications.
>
> S/S of things too low are dizzy when you suddenly jump up, fainting
> spells, etc.
>
> But, most tubby Americans run a hr of 80 with bp 140/80, and if we saw
> your numbers coming off a guy with a paunch, that we just pulled out of
> a car wreck, we'd start a line and run in some fluid.

Well I know that my numbers are not that of an elite athlete or
anything, but I had figured that they were much better than the average
tubby American.

Ken