Blood Pressure & Coffee

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ernie Adsett, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Ernie Adsett

    Ernie Adsett Guest

    I usually have had a BP level of about 130/85. However, after having
    two cups of coffee in the morning, I took my pressure and it was up to
    145/95. Is this normal or should I consult my doctor?

    Many thanks!

    Ernie Adsett

    Tags:

  2. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Ernie Adsett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I usually have had a BP level of about 130/85. However, after having
    > two cups of coffee in the morning, I took my pressure and it was up

    > 145/95. Is this normal or should I consult my doctor?

    Sounds about right. Since giving up coffee a few months back, my BP has
    gone from 130/80 to 120/70.

    Phil Holman

  3. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Ernie Adsett writes:

    > I usually have had a BP level of about 130/85. However, after having
    > two cups of coffee in the morning, I took my pressure and it was up to
    > 145/95. Is this normal or should I consult my doctor?

    It's normal for BP to rise a bit after taking certain stimulants,
    including caffeine. Avoid caffeine for a week and track your BP. If it
    is still high, then talk to your doctor. A BP of 145/95 is not exactly
    a medical emergency, anyway.

  4. Ernie Adsett wrote:

    > I usually have had a BP level of about 130/85. However, after having
    > two cups of coffee in the morning, I took my pressure and it was up to
    > 145/95. Is this normal or should I consult my doctor?

    The latter.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist