blood pressure vs. salt intake

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lee Carkenord, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. ..

    A common recommendation to help alleviate high blood pressure is to
    REDUCE salt intake.

    It's also common to see recommendations for runners to INCREASE salt
    intake when they sweat a lot while running.

    Ok.......so a runner with high blood pressure sweats copiously during
    his 6 mile daily fitness run. This guy typically will lose 2 1/2 to
    5 pounds of weight (in the summer) during a 6 mile run, and he does
    this run 5 or 6 times per week.

    The runner is 6 foot 2, male, weighs 159-163, and is 61 years old.

    During the day, he will drink between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons of liquid,
    mostly water. Yes, he pees a lot. He also feels fine.

    So whats the recommendation here? Does he or does he not try to
    ingest extra salt to replace that which he loses every day during his
    sweaty run.

    I see conflicting guidelines here............

    Lee Carkenord

    Tags:

  2. Bethowmuch

    Bethowmuch Guest

    I question the salt <-> high blood pressure thing. I know it has some validity
    but I don't eat salt, never have, am not exactly obese at 6' and 175 lbs, don't
    smoke or drink and still have high b/p. I run five miles four times a week and
    have had high since my late 40's. The doc told me that heredity has a whole
    lot to do with it.

  3. >I question the salt <-> high blood pressure thing.

    Me too! Even when I was very sedentary, overweight, and smoked 3 packs a day,
    my BP has always been "picture book perfect", and I eat an INCREDIBLE amount of
    salt every day.

  4. >Me too! Even when I was very sedentary, overweight, and smoked 3 packs a day,
    >my BP has always been "picture book perfect", and I eat an INCREDIBLE amount
    >of
    >salt every day.

    P.S. The interesting thing is, that years and years later, after becoming
    extremely fit, my BP is still exactly the same as it was when I puffed three
    packs a day.

  5. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    I've read that only 25% of people have BP which is sensitive to salt.

    I crave salty foods, eat lots of fatty foods and sugar, and have bp of 90/60
    and cholesterol/hdl ratio of 1.8. Heredity plays a big part.

    I suspect that you naturally select the foods which give you enough salt,
    otherwise, your 4gram salt loss/day would kill you!

    If you drink a fair amount when you run, and are still losing 4lbs, then you
    should take salt, imo. Definitely if you ever get into the 2-3 hour run
    thing.

    Normally, peeing alot is the bodies way of fixing the salt balance. If you
    overdrink water (lowering the salt concentration), you'll often pee it out.
    If you take too much salt, you'll pee out the excess salt, too.

    However, schitzophrenics with polydypsia, and hazed frat boys who drink huge
    amounts of water, have killed themselves with hyponatremia -- they
    overwhelmed the body's mechanisms.

    In addition, this mechanism doesn't always work under stressful/dehydrated
    conditions, such as a long (5 - 24 hour) race, hence ultra guys eat salty
    foods and/or take salt tabs during long runs and races.

    -- Dan

    "Lee Carkenord" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > .
    >
    > A common recommendation to help alleviate high blood pressure is to
    > REDUCE salt intake.
    >
    > It's also common to see recommendations for runners to INCREASE salt
    > intake when they sweat a lot while running.
    >
    > Ok.......so a runner with high blood pressure sweats copiously during
    > his 6 mile daily fitness run. This guy typically will lose 2 1/2 to
    > 5 pounds of weight (in the summer) during a 6 mile run, and he does
    > this run 5 or 6 times per week.
    >
    > The runner is 6 foot 2, male, weighs 159-163, and is 61 years old.
    >
    > During the day, he will drink between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons of liquid,
    > mostly water. Yes, he pees a lot. He also feels fine.
    >
    > So whats the recommendation here? Does he or does he not try to
    > ingest extra salt to replace that which he loses every day during his
    > sweaty run.
    >
    > I see conflicting guidelines here............
    >
    > Lee Carkenord

  6. John B.

    John B. Guest

    Doesn't running lower blood pressure? Mine is about 110 over 80, but
    when I'm running a lot, I get some wicked dizzy spells (not while
    running), which I attribute to lowered blood pressure. This doesn't
    happen when I'm more sedentary. Anybody know anything about this?

    "Dan Stumpus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've read that only 25% of people have BP which is sensitive to salt.
    >
    > I crave salty foods, eat lots of fatty foods and sugar, and have bp of 90/60
    > and cholesterol/hdl ratio of 1.8. Heredity plays a big part.
    >
    > I suspect that you naturally select the foods which give you enough salt,
    > otherwise, your 4gram salt loss/day would kill you!
    >
    > If you drink a fair amount when you run, and are still losing 4lbs, then you
    > should take salt, imo. Definitely if you ever get into the 2-3 hour run
    > thing.
    >
    > Normally, peeing alot is the bodies way of fixing the salt balance. If you
    > overdrink water (lowering the salt concentration), you'll often pee it out.
    > If you take too much salt, you'll pee out the excess salt, too.
    >
    > However, schitzophrenics with polydypsia, and hazed frat boys who drink huge
    > amounts of water, have killed themselves with hyponatremia -- they
    > overwhelmed the body's mechanisms.
    >
    > In addition, this mechanism doesn't always work under stressful/dehydrated
    > conditions, such as a long (5 - 24 hour) race, hence ultra guys eat salty
    > foods and/or take salt tabs during long runs and races.
    >
    > -- Dan
    >
    > "Lee Carkenord" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > .
    > >
    > > A common recommendation to help alleviate high blood pressure is to
    > > REDUCE salt intake.
    > >
    > > It's also common to see recommendations for runners to INCREASE salt
    > > intake when they sweat a lot while running.
    > >
    > > Ok.......so a runner with high blood pressure sweats copiously during
    > > his 6 mile daily fitness run. This guy typically will lose 2 1/2 to
    > > 5 pounds of weight (in the summer) during a 6 mile run, and he does
    > > this run 5 or 6 times per week.
    > >
    > > The runner is 6 foot 2, male, weighs 159-163, and is 61 years old.
    > >
    > > During the day, he will drink between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons of liquid,
    > > mostly water. Yes, he pees a lot. He also feels fine.
    > >
    > > So whats the recommendation here? Does he or does he not try to
    > > ingest extra salt to replace that which he loses every day during his
    > > sweaty run.
    > >
    > > I see conflicting guidelines here............
    > >
    > > Lee Carkenord

  7. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    John B. wrote:

    > Doesn't running lower blood pressure? Mine is about 110 over 80, but
    > when I'm running a lot, I get some wicked dizzy spells (not while
    > running), which I attribute to lowered blood pressure. This doesn't
    > happen when I'm more sedentary. Anybody know anything about this?

    Headrushes? I get them too, but only at times when I'm doing hard
    cycling or running. They typically happen sometime in the late morning
    after a hard morning workout. When I'm doing millions of easy base
    miles I don't get them.

    They feel great. I typically reach for a chair or get to my knees so I
    can enjoy it without the worry of falling over. I've never actually
    passed out, but as the feeling is leaving I feel dream-like, and often
    wonder for a second where I am, and how did I get here (not really a
    physical "how did I get to this place" but more like, "how did I get to
    this point in my life").

  8. ProfWdesk1

    ProfWdesk1 Guest

    He should add Magnesium tablets to his diet ... and replace some of his higher
    intensity training ... with good paced walking ...

  9. lexdece

    lexdece Guest

    > So whats the recommendation here? Does he or does he not try to
    > ingest extra salt to replace that which he loses every day during his
    > sweaty run.

    I'm 23-yrs old, not overweight, don't smoke/drink, and exercise every
    day...my resting heart-rate is 57 yet my BP is 130/91....too high for
    my age and condition!! It doesn't run in my family either, but the
    high BP doesn't come as a surprise to me because I literally salt just
    about everything I eat...from salads to bagels!

    It's been a running joke in my family about being a salt fiend, but I
    thought I could get away with my high intake for a long time because
    of my age and running activity/drinking lots of water...but I GUESS
    NOT!

    So, I have vowed to cut down the salting of my food and just eat as I
    normally would with the extra on it, and see if that helps lower it in
    the next few months. Try the same and see how it works for you?

  10. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    I eat tons of salt, and my bp was 90/65 (just barely alive) last checkup.

    I've read that only about 25% of people will have increased bp with salt.

    And that for some people salt *decreases* bp, strange as it may seem.

    An experiment of one is in order. Figure out how your own bod works...

    Also, you may have "doctors office blood pressure". I used to get anxious
    when they'd measure me, and my HR and bp would rise. I eventually learned
    to relax, and joke around with the nurses, and I get low readings now.

    (It probably skyrockets when I leave...)

    -- Dan

    "lexdece" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:e[email protected]
    > > So whats the recommendation here? Does he or does he not try to
    > > ingest extra salt to replace that which he loses every day during his
    > > sweaty run.

    > I'm 23-yrs old, not overweight, don't smoke/drink, and exercise every
    > day...my resting heart-rate is 57 yet my BP is 130/91....too high for
    > my age and condition!! It doesn't run in my family either, but the
    > high BP doesn't come as a surprise to me because I literally salt just
    > about everything I eat...from salads to bagels!
    >
    > It's been a running joke in my family about being a salt fiend, but I
    > thought I could get away with my high intake for a long time because
    > of my age and running activity/drinking lots of water...but I GUESS
    > NOT!
    >
    > So, I have vowed to cut down the salting of my food and just eat as I
    > normally would with the extra on it, and see if that helps lower it in
    > the next few months. Try the same and see how it works for you?

  11. You are salt sensetive. I eat salt on everything, and even when I smoked 3
    packs a day, didn't exercise, it has always been text book perfect. Table salt
    (buy Kosher salt) doesn't effect your BP at all except in rare individuals that
    are sensetive to it.

  12. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Not everyone is salt sensitive. If a person has high BP, the person to ask
    this question to is a physician not a bunch of schmoes on the internet.