Blood sugar goals

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jon Landenburer, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. I am interested in blood sugar goals. I am a late onset, skinny guy. Most likely type 1 -- .4 c
    peptide , actos does'nt do a thing. My Blood sugar is around 100-130 with occasional drops as low as
    80 and 90 My H1c is something like 5.8. Am doing 1500 of glucophage and an atkins like diet. My doc
    says I am doing fine and dont need insulin. But then I read Berstiens book which states that I
    should be as close to normal as possible: 80 for non insulin takers, 90 for insulin takers.
    Interested in feedback. jonl

    Tags:

  2. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Jon Landenburer wrote in message ...
    >I am interested in blood sugar goals. I am a late onset, skinny guy. Most likely type 1 -- .4 c
    >peptide , actos does'nt do a thing. My Blood sugar is around 100-130 with occasional drops as low
    >as 80 and 90 My H1c is something like 5.8. Am doing 1500 of glucophage and an atkins like diet. My
    >doc says I am doing fine and dont need insulin. But then I read Berstiens book which states that I
    >should be as close to normal as possible: 80 for non insulin takers, 90 for insulin takers.
    >Interested in feedback. jonl

    If you are "most likely" Type 1, then you "most likely" need insulin shots. I am a late onset T1
    who didn't get insulin shots for quite a while. That was a recipe for slowly degrading blood
    sugar control which led to a really miserable time at the end of my honeymoon. I look back at
    that last year with horror.

    If you start insulin now, you have a shot at an HbA1c of 5.2 or lower. Many of us believe that every
    hour of higher-then-normal-bG exacts a price in future complications and or shortened lifespan. (I
    have seen estimates of truly normal HbA1c on medical sites. They range as low as 5.0) If you are on
    the young side, then "avoiding" a normal HbA1c in order to "avoid" insulin shots could cost you
    dearly in your old age.

    Lord knows what price I will pay for my lousy last year before insulin.

    In my unpleasant experience, the immediate problem in "not starting insulin yet" is undetected high
    bG, and the difficulty in drawing the line between

    a. "I can get along without Insulin" and

    b. "No escaping it, now is the time to start"

    Unless you are a meter-fanatic, you will miss some of the spikes. (I test 7 times a day and am still
    surprised by spikes)

    At the same time, slowly degrading bG doesn't often give you that clear-cut end-point to your injection-
    free days.

    Regards
    Old Al

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Jon Landenburer) wrote:

    > I am interested in blood sugar goals. I am a late onset, skinny guy. Most likely type 1 -- .4 c
    > peptide , actos does'nt do a thing. My Blood sugar is around 100-130 with occasional drops as low
    > as 80 and 90 My H1c is something like 5.8. Am doing 1500 of glucophage and an atkins like diet. My
    > doc says I am doing fine and dont need insulin. But then I read Berstiens book which states that I
    > should be as close to normal as possible: 80 for non insulin takers, 90 for insulin takers.
    > Interested in feedback.

    You're on glucophage, not doing insulin, and you're T1? This sounds odd to me.

    Priscilla, T2

  4. "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    berlin.de>... So Al, can I ask you what your BG goals are. I know that you are a T1 late onset like
    myslef and that you regretted ever waiting to get onto insulin. The few people I know who are
    diabetic rely mostly on the monthly numbers and only on occasion check their BG daily. I check at
    least twice a day and can pretty much predict the spike from a bowl of oatmeal, some lima beans or a
    bag of nuts. I get concerned by the spikes which has me being more rigorous in my carb exclusion (no
    more oatmeal) If someone on insulin can achieve BG less than 100 than I think there is something
    better than what I am doing now. But I am not sure if eatihng carbs and calculating insulin will get
    me closer to the norm. That is precisely why I posted this note. Are people on insulin enjoying BGs
    less that 100? JonL

  5. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    Jon Landenburer wrote in message ...
    >"oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >So Al, can I ask you what your BG goals are. I know that you are a T1 late onset like myslef and
    >that you regretted ever waiting to get onto insulin. The few people I know who are diabetic rely
    >mostly on the monthly numbers and only on occasion check their BG daily. I check at least twice a
    >day and can pretty much predict the spike from a bowl of oatmeal, some lima beans or a bag of nuts.
    >I get concerned by the spikes which has me being more rigorous in my carb exclusion (no more
    >oatmeal) If someone on insulin can achieve BG less than 100 than I think there is something better
    >than what I am doing now. But I am not sure if eatihng carbs and calculating insulin will get me
    >closer to the norm. That is precisely why I posted this note. Are people on insulin enjoying BGs
    >less that 100? JonL

    My general goals are FbG of 100 and 2-hour-after-eating of 140 or less.

    I have oatmeal for breakfast about 360 days per year, including this morning.

    Today's bG:

    6 am = 66 10 am = 104 2 pm = 107 5 pm = 108 7 pm = 168
    9:30 pm = 62

    The interesting "thing" about using modern insulins is that your bG can be pretty much what you want
    it to be. I am willing to test 7 times a day, then shoot as much insulin, and inject as often as
    needed to hit my targets. I still have mystery highs and mystery lows, e.g. baby-sitting my grandson
    for 6 hours and spiking to 278 for no good reason at all though probably cause I was busy, busy,
    busy (he was running my butt off) and screwed up somewhere, However, despite the screw-ups, I have
    beat 6.0 HbA1c for years. My last was 5.7 following a mystery excursion to 5.9.

    My HbA1c tends to track my exercise patterns. It's easier to control bG in the summer when I do more
    lawn and home maintenance as well as grocery shop via bicycle. Michigan winters slow me down (lots
    of arthritis)

    You are interpreting my insulin regrets well. My two biggies: 1. Waiting too long before asking for
    insulin and 2. Accepting an old-fashioned R + NPH insulin regime for three years. My mistakes were
    founded on pure ignorance. That's why I nag so incessantly.

    Regards
    Old Al

  6. "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My general goals are FbG of 100 and 2-hour-after-eating of 140 or less.

    I usually wake up at 100-130 and go down as the day progresses. Before Dinner I may be 80-120
    and the same for bed This is done with just glucophage and diet.
    > I have oatmeal for breakfast about 360 days per year, including this morning.
    Had to cut oatmeal out . I'd get a spike of about 60

    > The interesting "thing" about using modern insulins is that your bG can be pretty much what you
    > want it to be. I am willing to test 7 times a day, then shoot as much insulin, and inject as often
    > as needed to hit my

    The thing that bothers me about an insulin regimen , or ANY regimen for that matter, is that I that
    it would be a effort for me to focus on something, on my food my body , my time. I am a rather
    absent minded person. Its easy to exert will power and say no as I wander through the day, in fact
    it gets easier with time, its remembering to do anything at anytime that is hard.

    > You are interpreting my insulin regrets well. My two biggies: 1. Waiting too long before asking
    > for insulin and 2. Accepting an old-fashioned R + NPH insulin regime for three years. My mistakes
    > were founded on pure ignorance. That's why I nag so incessantly.

    My doc says I am doing fine and that I may even be too strict on myself. I have mentioned insulin a
    couple of time. I am sure if I pushed it I could get it. But I dont want to leave tire tracks on my
    doctors back. I did get a second opinion. The second said I am "an enigma" which surpirsed me. He
    too mentioned that I probably could avoid insulin but that my morning highs were of some concern. I
    am really torn because the docs say one thing and people like yourself are saying another. And to a
    certain extent the docs are'nt in the trenches. Al, I hear what your saying . You were one of the
    first responses to my post "skinny guy gets diabetes" 7 mos ago. But I also see that I have pretty
    good BG. Theres another thread going now on BG level or spike " or something like that... and
    they're talking of regular BGs of 140!
    > Regards
    > Old Al

    But this whole thing has finally gotten me to get a third opinion. I feel like Job but on the other
    hand so blessed that this is all so minor in that in does'nt impact my life except for eating. I
    mean no wheelchair, I got my fingers, eyes, legs and mind. I can still exercise, go on trips ,
    experience the cold, heat... thanks much Jon L

  7. On 9 Feb 2004 16:37:22 -0800, [email protected] (Jon
    Landenburer) wrote:

    >"oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    >berlin.de>... So Al, can I ask you what your BG goals are. I know that you are a T1 late onset like
    >myslef and that you regretted ever waiting to get onto insulin. The few people I know who are
    >diabetic rely mostly on the monthly numbers and only on occasion check their BG daily. I check at
    >least twice a day and can pretty much predict the spike from a bowl of oatmeal, some lima beans or
    >a bag of nuts. I get concerned by the spikes which has me being more rigorous in my carb exclusion
    >(no more oatmeal) If someone on insulin can achieve BG less than 100 than I think there is
    >something better than what I am doing now. But I am not sure if eatihng carbs and calculating
    >insulin will get me closer to the norm. That is precisely why I posted this note. Are people on
    >insulin enjoying BGs less that 100?

    Almost every day. I test 3 - 5 times per day and inject 4 - 5 times, depending on eating, exercise,
    etc. and most of my numbers are less than 100. I do, as most here, restrict carbs somewhat, but
    nowhere near levels advocated by Bernstein and Atkins.

    I am 31 and was diagnosed with type 1 six months ago. My doctor started me on bedtime doses of
    Lantus and pre-meal doses of Novolog several weeks after being diagnosed, even though at the time I
    was able to pretty much keep the numbers under 120 without it by eating a low carb diet (<100 g per
    day). Since then, I have switched to twice daily basal injections and also started substituting
    regular insulin for novolog when eating meals which digest more slowly.