Bloomin' 'eck - fell off!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Dec 7, 2005.

  1. I haven't fallen off two wheels since I lost it on the Lambretta in 1969!
    This morning I hit a patch of ice on a bend approaching work. Both wheels
    went at once and I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. However, I
    bounced better than I thought I would at my advanced age and ended up with
    only bruised ribs, hip and hand so I'm quite chuffed.
    All credit to the following motorist who stopped to see if I was alright.
    Has it put me off? Nope, but I'll now be more cautious on frosty mornings.

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I haven't fallen off two wheels since I lost it on the Lambretta in 1969!
    > This morning I hit a patch of ice on a bend approaching work. Both wheels
    > went at once and I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. However, I
    > bounced better than I thought I would at my advanced age and ended up with
    > only bruised ribs, hip and hand so I'm quite chuffed.
    > All credit to the following motorist who stopped to see if I was alright.
    > Has it put me off? Nope, but I'll now be more cautious on frosty mornings.

    It was tricky this morning. I realised when I tried to pull onto the
    road and the back wheel spun instead of propelling that it was icy. I
    quickly decided to use the pavement/cyclepath despite what I think of
    them because there were quite a few cars travelling quite fast on quite
    an icy road and I couldn't rely on them stopping if I did fall off. At
    least the path was fresh frost and frozen crap that made a more grippy
    surface than the polished ice road. Even so the rear end tried to get
    away from me several times although I managed not to fall off.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:13:47 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I haven't fallen off two wheels since I lost it on the Lambretta in 1969!
    >This morning I hit a patch of ice on a bend approaching work. Both wheels
    >went at once and I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. However, I
    >bounced better than I thought I would at my advanced age and ended up with
    >only bruised ribs, hip and hand so I'm quite chuffed.
    >All credit to the following motorist who stopped to see if I was alright.
    >Has it put me off? Nope, but I'll now be more cautious on frosty mornings.
    >

    >Steve

    It's a once-a-year thing with me.

    I continue riding in winter with the same carefree attitude
    that suffices in summer until I have my annual tumble due
    to frost and/or ice. Usually in front of several witnesses.

    Who knows? Today could be the day!

  4. sothach

    sothach Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I haven't fallen off two wheels since I lost it on the Lambretta in 1969!

    Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    hundred faces?
    I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    sixty three.

    Ah no, that was Sting.

    > Has it put me off? Nope, but I'll now be more cautious on frosty mornings.

    Your dead right, but those Nokian stud tyres start to look attractive
    at this point. I'd buy them and hang the expense, but I'd be too lazy
    to change tyres of an icy morning, and with Rohloff/SON hubs, a second
    set of ready-to-go wheels would'nt be exactly cheap.

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    sothach wrote:

    > Your dead right, but those Nokian stud tyres start to look attractive
    > at this point. I'd buy them and hang the expense, but I'd be too lazy
    > to change tyres of an icy morning, and with Rohloff/SON hubs, a second
    > set of ready-to-go wheels would'nt be exactly cheap.

    They also sound like a dog which needs its nails clipping walking
    across a marble floor.
    It was frosty here today, but the roads are clear of ice so no problem.

    ...d

  6. sothach

    sothach Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > They also sound like a dog which needs its nails clipping walking
    > across a marble floor.

    Noisier the better!

    > It was frosty here today, but the roads are clear of ice so no problem.

    Yeah, the roads are generally clear unless you're out mad early, and
    often the salt gets accidently thrown on to the cycle path, too. But
    my route has a hill in a park that at the moment is covered in wet
    leaves that, when frozen, makes for a very challenging stage - I've had
    a couple of spills there, much to the amusement of my passengers ('do
    that again dad!')

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    sothach wrote:

    > Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    > hundred faces?
    > I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    > sixty three.
    >
    > Ah no, that was Sting.

    Who?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    >

    >> Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    >> hundred faces?
    >> I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    >> sixty three.
    >>
    >> Ah no, that was Sting.

    > Who?

    Formerly a singer with a popular Beat Combo, sometime actor[1] and once
    in a role involving motor scooters in a script scored by a different
    popular Beat Combo...

    Pete.

    [1] well, he got given roles in dramatic productions
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven ([email protected]
    family.com) wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    > >
    > > Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    > > hundred faces?
    > > I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    > > sixty three.
    > >
    > > Ah no, that was Sting.
    > >

    > Who?

    Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not quite
    as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    Here, take these cheese-shaped stilts. You'll know when to use them.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven ([email protected]
    family.com) wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    > >
    > > Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    > > hundred faces?
    > > I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    > > sixty three.
    > >
    > > Ah no, that was Sting.
    > >

    > Who?

    Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not quite
    as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    Here, take these cheese-shaped stilts. You'll know when to use them.

  11. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    > >
    > > Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    > > hundred faces?
    > > I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    > > sixty three.
    > >
    > > Ah no, that was Sting.
    > >

    > Who?

    ...and Tony wins today pop-trivia-obscure-reference prize. Sting plays
    "The Face" (the Lamberetta-riding head Mod) in the movie of The Who's
    "Quadrophenia", from which the lines above are taken.
    What's all this to do with bikes? Very little, but Lamberetta have two
    wheels and couldn't speed if they wanted to, speed cameras or no.

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven ([email protected]
    > family.com) wrote:
    >> sothach wrote:
    >>> Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    >>> hundred faces?
    >>> I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    >>> sixty three.
    >>>
    >>> Ah no, that was Sting.
    >>>

    >> Who?

    > Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    > Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not quite
    > as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    Not a bellboy suffering from quadrophenia then?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Not a bellboy suffering from quadrophenia then?

    That'll be Phil Daniels with the quadrophenia. Sting was just suffering
    from being a cocky bastard.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven ([email protected]
    > family.com) wrote:
    >
    >>sothach wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    >>>hundred faces?
    >>>I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    >>>sixty three.
    >>>
    >>>Ah no, that was Sting.
    >>>

    >>Who?

    > Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    > Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not quite
    > as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    Hmm... I'm struck with a sudden urge to play this 'ere CD wot I just
    found lying hereabouts...

    "Can ya see the real me can ya, CAN YA?"

    Oh, I'm young again! :)

  15. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 8 Dec 2005 02:46:52 -0800, "sothach" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Tony Raven wrote:
    >> sothach wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Ain't you the guy who used to set the paces, riding up in front of a
    >> > hundred faces?
    >> > I don't suppose you would remember me, but I used to follow you back in
    >> > sixty three.
    >> >
    >> > Ah no, that was Sting.
    >> >

    >> Who?

    >..and Tony wins today pop-trivia-obscure-reference prize. Sting plays
    >"The Face" (the Lamberetta-riding head Mod) in the movie of The Who's
    >"Quadrophenia", from which the lines above are taken.
    >What's all this to do with bikes?

    Ah, Ob. cycling reference: My friend Neville, member of the tandem
    club and web meister for same, used to ride and race Lambrettas, and
    has a trophy to prove it.

    <Spooky link>

    He was presented with the trophy by the man who imported them at the
    time (late 60s) by the father of my current employer.

    Tim

  16. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Anyone else misreading the thread title as: "Bloomin' 'ell - feck off!"
    ?

    Chris wrote:
    > Hmm... I'm struck with a sudden urge to play this 'ere CD wot I just
    > found lying hereabouts...

    Stick it on and crank up the volume!

    > "Can ya see the real me can ya, CAN YA?"

    5:15 is my fav - I think it was the first punk track ever, and it
    emphasises public transport - what would the 21st century version be:
    out of my brain in my S.U.V.!?

    > Oh, I'm young again! :)

    Yeah, got to add some Townsend windmills to my pre-wide warm-ups...

  17. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    > Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not quite
    > as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    'oo in the years before 'ee was famus, was a teechur off kiddlings, one of
    whom was the younger sister of a friend of mine... Now how's that for a
    tenuous link to fame ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  18. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:13:47 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >>I haven't fallen off two wheels since I lost it on the Lambretta in 1969!
    >>This morning I hit a patch of ice on a bend approaching work. Both wheels
    >>went at once and I hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. However, I
    >>bounced better than I thought I would at my advanced age and ended up with
    >>only bruised ribs, hip and hand so I'm quite chuffed.
    >>All credit to the following motorist who stopped to see if I was alright.
    >>Has it put me off? Nope, but I'll now be more cautious on frosty mornings.
    >>

    >>Steve

    > It's a once-a-year thing with me.
    >
    > I continue riding in winter with the same carefree attitude
    > that suffices in summer until I have my annual tumble due
    > to frost and/or ice. Usually in front of several witnesses.

    Yes, I was exactly the same when I used to commute on the bike, fall off
    once a year causing some relatively minor damage - broken mirror being
    the most likely. Most embarrassing was when I caught up with another
    cyclist who was being a bit more cautious than me, and I pulled out to
    overtake... I think we'd both been riding where car wheels had cleared
    the black ice but once I moved out a bit I went onto the slippy bit.
    Now I'm retired I don't have to venture out at such ridiculously early
    hours so there's more chance that all the ice has gone.

    OTOH a fortnight ago, I fell off the trike, which is only the second
    time in my life that I've come off a three-wheeler. Took a corner a
    shade too fast, had to straighten out a bit to keep the wheel down and
    ran out of road. Fortunately, there was no one about to see. Or maybe
    unfortunately, because this was at a junction that's usually a bit busy
    and normally I'd have to slow down or stop for other traffic. With no
    one else about I could take it much more quickly...

    --
    Andrew

  19. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, wafflycat
    ('w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com') wrote:

    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Mr Gordon Sumner, a former schoolteacher and professional Saviour of
    >> Rain Forests. Believed to be a part-time musician and thesp. Not
    >> quite as annoying as Bonio, but pretty close.

    > 'oo in the years before 'ee was famus, was a teechur off kiddlings, one
    > of whom was the younger sister of a friend of mine... Now how's that
    > for a tenuous link to fame ;-)

    Young teacher / the subject / of schoolgirl fantasy...

    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
    [update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

  20. sothach

    sothach Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > sothach wrote:
    > > Your dead right, but those Nokian stud tyres start to look attractive
    > > at this point.

    > They also sound like a dog which needs its nails clipping walking
    > across a marble floor.

    Just ordered-up a pair of Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres (quid 20 at boc.de),
    to stick on the MTB for snow/ice commutes (got a Weber skewer hitch for
    it now), according to the blurb, as the studs are offset you run on
    rubber under normal inflation pressure, but if you let some air out,
    the studs kick in. Sounds good, worth a try anyway.