Bloomin Punctures!

Lee

Guest
So herein lies a tale of woe and frustration.

About a week or so ago as I set forth from work. Noticed an odd noise from the rear and stopped to
investigate... FLAT TYRE! So i promptly whipped out the pump.. was broke. bugger methinks. Luckily
where I work is pretty much next door to a Halfords so i had a quick scoot up there and they
promptly replaced my broken tube and put some slime banding in to boot - £13 the lot - a bit pricy
but i wanted to get home.. Pump discarded.

Got on the bike to go home yesterday - rear tyre, flat as a pancake. VERY ANGRY ME. I think ill try
and make it home on a flatty. I know, i know its not right but I made it (took me a while in the
ice too!) - got home, spent about 45 minutes trying to get the bloody tyre off the rim and finding
not one but two punctures in the tube. (only teeny tiny holes). So i mended em with my puncture
repair kit.

Now before the past few weeks I NEVER had a puncture - so why 3 in the past 2 weeks?

Daft as it sounds COULD the cold weather have a bearing on the punctures? My tyre is fine and clean
etc. (I checked) so any advise/tips?

Lee.

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>

> about 45 minutes trying to get the bloody tyre off the rim and finding not one but two punctures
> in the tube. (only teeny tiny holes). So i mended
em
> with my puncture repair kit.

Two puncture holes together like a snake bite?

Sounds like you might be guilty of underinflating the tyre ;o)

Lee wrote:
> Got on the bike to go home yesterday - rear tyre, flat as a pancake. VERY ANGRY ME. I think ill
> try and make it home on a flatty. I know, i know its not right but I made it (took me a while in
> the ice too!) - got home, spent about 45 minutes trying to get the bloody tyre off the rim and
> finding not one but two punctures in the tube. (only teeny tiny holes). So i mended em with my
> puncture repair kit.

That could have been a pinch flat or "snakebite puncture" as you hit a bump with underinflated tyres
- perhaps caused by an earlier slow puncture.

> Now before the past few weeks I NEVER had a puncture - so why 3 in the past 2 weeks?

Could very easily be just sheer bad luck.

> Daft as it sounds COULD the cold weather have a bearing on the punctures?

I doubt the cold does (although you could theorise that tyre compound hardens and gets more brittle
or something) but the wet does. Rain flushes more rubbish from the sides of the road into your path
and water lubricates to helps sharp objects penetrate the tyre more easily. As well as getting more
rainfall in the winter months, the roads stay wetting for longer.

~PB

"Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Two puncture holes together like a snake bite?
>
> Sounds like you might be guilty of underinflating the tyre ;o)

Not really - they were a fair bit apart!!

Tube is well inflated (max inflation is 70psi and i tend to inflate between 60 and 70)

On 29/1/04 3:58 pm, in article [email protected],
"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> Lee wrote:
>> Got on the bike to go home yesterday - rear tyre, flat as a pancake. VERY ANGRY ME. I think ill
>> try and make it home on a flatty. I know, i know its not right but I made it (took me a while in
>> the ice too!) - got home, spent about 45 minutes trying to get the bloody tyre off the rim and
>> finding not one but two punctures in the tube. (only teeny tiny holes). So i mended em with my
>> puncture repair kit.

Do you check the tyre to see whether there are any bits of glass etc embedded in it? have you
checked the spoke heads/rim tape etc. ?

..d

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That could have been a pinch flat or "snakebite puncture" as you hit a bump with underinflated
> tyres - perhaps caused by an earlier slow puncture.

ahh so thats what the earlier poster meant - dont think my tyres are underinflated but i suppose
they couldve gone down a bit and I didnt notice...

> Could very easily be just sheer bad luck.

Possibly - seemed to have a run of that yesterday! But thats another story ;-)

> I doubt the cold does (although you could theorise that tyre compound hardens and gets more
> brittle or something) but the wet does. Rain flushes more rubbish from the sides of the road into
> your path and water lubricates to helps sharp objects penetrate the tyre more easily. As well as
> getting more rainfall in the winter months, the roads stay wetting for longer.

Aye, well, ive binned the slime band for now - when the tyre got flat it seems to congregate in one
area making a hard lump - didnt stop me getting the tiny punctures so there you go. Checked my tyres
at lunchtime and they seemed ok - hope they are in about an hour or so!?

Lee wrote:
> "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>> Two puncture holes together like a snake bite?
>>
>> Sounds like you might be guilty of underinflating the tyre ;o)
>
> Not really - they were a fair bit apart!!

Ok, please disregard the same point made in my reply.

> Tube is well inflated (max inflation is 70psi and i tend to inflate between 60 and 70)

Trouble is, pinch flats can still be caused after the tyre slowly deflates from some previous
problem without you realising (soon enough).

~PB

Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.

this really is starting to get me down!!!

This time the culprit was obvious - a nice largish piece of glass right through the tyre.

Can anyone suggest some useful countermeasures?

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:53:38 -0000, Lee wrote:

> Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.
>
> this really is starting to get me down!!!
>
> This time the culprit was obvious - a nice largish piece of glass right through the tyre.
>
> Can anyone suggest some useful countermeasures?

Yes, look where you're going and try to avoid riding over glass. Easier said than done, I know.

If you post the size of your existing tyres lots of people will give you suggestions for durable
alternatives. But, in the end, no tyre is impenetrable.
--
Michael MacClancy Random pleonasm - "Lead-lined coffins called a health risk."
www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.
>
> this really is starting to get me down!!!
>
> This time the culprit was obvious - a nice largish piece of glass right through the tyre.
>
> Can anyone suggest some useful countermeasures?

errr...walk ;-)

Saw off a broom and attach it to the front of your bike, so it sweeps
everywhere you go :)

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.
>
> this really is starting to get me down!!!
>
> This time the culprit was obvious - a nice largish piece of glass right through the tyre.
>
> Can anyone suggest some useful countermeasures?

had the same problem with punctures the other day, went for a 180km ride with three other from the club.
we had a total of 7 punctures between 4 of us!!

before this i had never had a puncture with the tyres i was using.
it must be a combination of the cold and wet weather

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>

> Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.

I feel your pain, brother.

> Can anyone suggest some useful countermeasures?

To glass? No. I now have a new supply of Park tyre boots in my bag.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"wardie2000" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> had the same problem with punctures the other day, went for a 180km ride with three other from the
> club. we had a total of 7 punctures between 4 of us!!
>
> before this i had never had a puncture with the tyres i was using. it must be a combination of the
> cold and wet weather

nah...'s a combination of sharp things and soft things ;-)

In message <[email protected]>, Lee
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> writes
>Just so you know.. i had ANOTHER bleedin flat rear tyre when i left work last night.
>
>this really is starting to get me down!!!

I suffered four last week in three days - both wheels on the Brommie and both on the FW Evans. As I
hadn't used the Evans for a while I think the inner tubes on it had somehow rotted.

--
congokid Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google http://congokid.com