Blooming chains!!

HoundMann

Apr 26, 2004
Can I anyone help me out as regards fitting a new chain to my girlfriend's MTB?
Basically I am stuck at how it should feed through the rear deuraillier. When I get it to what looks to be the right way (logically to me anyway) the chain and the tension just pull up the two small cogs that make up the deuraillier right up to the cog on the rear wheel.

With this being a brand new chain (standard MTB chain) from the shop is it likely that links need ot be removed or am I just not doing it right?

The bike is a fairly small (probably suitable for about a 12yr old girl for example) 12 speed grip shift mountain bike. Not sure if that should make any difference.

REALLY keen to get her on the bike and get out and about on it.

PLEASE help!!!

Originally posted by HoundMann
Basically I am stuck at how it should feed through the rear deuraillier. When I get it to what looks to be the right way (logically to me anyway) the chain and the tension just pull up the two small cogs that make up the deuraillier right up to the cog on the rear wheel.

With this being a brand new chain (standard MTB chain) from the shop is it likely that links need ot be removed or am I just not doing it right?

The bike is a fairly small (probably suitable for about a 12yr old girl for example) 12 speed grip shift mountain bike. Not sure if that should make any difference.

PLEASE help!!!
Yeah, it's too long. Chains need to be sized to the right length when installed. www.parktool.com repair section has everything you need to know about chains. You should have just let the shop do it. Chains are real simple,but it's just staggering how many ways people find to screw then up.

Originally posted by HoundMann

PLEASE help!!!

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml>

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchnRe.shtml>

... the links the OP was talking about

Thanks folks superb links which have already explained why it was wrong! Brilliant thank you so much. A ride round a large park SUnday it is! Enjoy

Keep riding