blooming considerate motorists - a rant

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephen Pridgeo, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down to
    let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really
    really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they do
    something nice and it completely throws me
    - sometimes badly.

    My pet hate at the moment is when I'm moving up through a traffic queue, the queue starts to move,
    and the car immediately in front sees me and doesn't move off - expecting me to pass it before it
    moves off. I wonder why they've stopped, so I have to stop and unclip, then they move off and I've
    got to reclip and move off again. God, the hassle.

    ARRRGH - I'm cycling like a London Motorist - don'they realise I'm a lean mean wheel-turning
    machine, a wannabe messenger, dancing on pedals and flowing through traffic as a fish
    through water!!

    Damm you all for driving sensibly.

    Still, this morning a BMW pulled into a bus lane, and shot off down it, slowing only marginally for
    the red light on the pelican crossing. Restored all my stereotypes about car drivers (and that's all
    car drivers, everywhere (but not including me or my wife)).

    Thank you SteveP

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    > to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    > really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    > do something nice and it completely throws me
    > - sometimes badly.
    >
    > My pet hate at the moment is when I'm moving up through a traffic queue, the queue starts to move,
    > and the car immediately in front sees me and doesn't move off - expecting me to pass it before it
    > moves off. I wonder why they've stopped, so I have to stop and unclip, then they move off and I've
    > got to reclip and move off again. God, the hassle.
    >
    > ARRRGH - I'm cycling like a London Motorist - don'they realise I'm a lean mean wheel-turning
    > machine, a wannabe messenger, dancing on pedals and flowing through traffic as a fish
    > through water!!
    >
    > Damm you all for driving sensibly.
    >
    > Still, this morning a BMW pulled into a bus lane, and shot off down it, slowing only marginally
    > for the red light on the pelican crossing. Restored all my stereotypes about car drivers (and
    > that's all car drivers, everywhere (but not including me or my wife)).
    >
    > Thank you SteveP

    Yeahbut... The one that really gets me is when I've pulled up at a junction in the wrong gear,
    waiting for a gap to pull off into, then someone does exactly as you describe and *politely* lets me
    in, holding the traffic up to do so!!...B*st*rds!!...the humiliation of trying to pull out in top
    gear, with all these cagers watching, drumming their steering wheels, looking at their watches,
    while I strain to get moving, sweat appearing on my brow, veins pulsing in my neck as I try to
    change my down tube gearshifter gears, fluffing it, crunching, slipping and finally catching it,
    climbing back in the saddle and still having to acknowledge their generosity with a cheery wave over
    my shoulder as I finally get under way and start picking some speed up...oh, the humiliation - they
    really know how to kick a guy when he's down!!!

    Dave ;-) (happy now!)

  3. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    > to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    > really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    > do something nice and it completely throws me
    > - sometimes badly.

    Of course, some (many?) of us here are also car drivers - perhaps we are more cycle-friendly
    than others.

    But I know what you mean... ;)

    --
    Succorso

  4. Cupra

    Cupra Guest

    "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]...
    | I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    | to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    | really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    | do something nice and it completely throws me
    | - sometimes badly.
    |=20
    | My pet hate at the moment is when I'm moving up through a traffic queue, the queue starts to move,
    | and the car immediately in front sees me and doesn't move off - expecting me to pass it before it
    | moves off. I wonder why they've stopped, so I have to stop and unclip, then they move off and I've
    | got to reclip and move off again. God, the hassle.
    |=20
    | ARRRGH - I'm cycling like a London Motorist - don'they realise I'm a lean mean wheel-turning
    | machine, a wannabe messenger, dancing on pedals and flowing through traffic as a fish
    | through water!!
    |=20
    | Damm you all for driving sensibly.
    |=20
    | Still, this morning a BMW pulled into a bus lane, and shot off down it, slowing only marginally
    | for the red light on the pelican crossing. Restored all my stereotypes about car drivers (and
    | that's all car drivers, everywhere (but not including me or my wife)).
    |=20
    | Thank you SteveP

    It's interesting that the most considerate drivers I have experienced = over the past few days are
    Truck drivers and White Van Man..... the self = same groups that most motorists berate!! (and the
    worst.... Black VW = Golf drivers and silver Vectras!)

    ---

  5. On 18 Jul 2003 02:27:12 -0700, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

    >I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down to
    >let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these really
    >really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they do
    >something nice and it completely throws me
    >- sometimes badly.

    Mrs. G particularly enjoys doing this. She drives a huge, rusty white transit complete with large
    scrapes up the sides. Then, she slowly creeps up behind cyclists, carefully overtakes them when it's
    safe to do so making sure she's leaving plenty of room for them and then pulls in ahead of them when
    she's safely passed them and can see them clearly behind her. All of this considerate behaviour
    really worries the heck out of 'em.
    :)

    --
    DG

    Bah!

  6. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    stephen pridgeon wrote:

    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    > to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    > really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    > do something nice and it completely throws me
    > - sometimes badly.
    >
    > My pet hate at the moment is
    <snip>

    My pet hate is the motorist on the oposite side of the road who flashes me to turn right, and
    wonders why I don't move. The reason is usually they are trying to get me to turn right into the
    path of the regular motorist undertaking them on their left. Its even worse if its a van or lorry.

    Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by giving way when they have the
    right of way, as it causes uncertainty (except when they are letting you out of a side road - even
    that can cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  7. Ivor Cave

    Ivor Cave Guest

    stephen pridgeon wrote:
    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    > to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    > really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    > do something nice and it completely throws me
    > - sometimes badly.

    The worst one is when looking to pull out of a side turning theres a line of cars comming. so I am
    looking up the road behind the line of cars ready to go when the last car passes the junction. What
    happens is the last car in the line stops to let you out but because your too busy looking up the
    road for the 100mpher you don't see the car stop to let you out and then they have the cheek to get
    irritated about it. Don't these people use the mirrors and know that theres a big gap behind them?

    Ivor Cave

  8. "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again - considerate motorists who stop, give way, slow down
    > to let me get past, drive behind me at a distance when it's not safe to overtake - All these
    > really really scare me. I'm just not used to it. I expect them to drive discourtously, then they
    > do something nice and it completely throws me
    > - sometimes badly.

    One of my pet peeves, whether as a cyclist, driver or ped, is when people do decide to give way to
    you, in situations where priority may or may not be equal (often in circumstances where they have no
    choice or it makes more sense for them to let me through because of the availability of a suitable
    gap) then expect you to thank them for it. Often I do, one way or another but every now and again
    you get someone who calls out "thank you" in a rather irritated sort of voice as you pass, just
    because you didn't express suitable gestures or vocal tones of appreciation first. FFS, if you
    decide to give way when it's hardly cost you anything anyway and it was reasonable to do so in the
    circs, there's hardly any reason to _demand_ to be thanked for it or to get pissed off if suitable
    gestures of appreciation aren't forthcoming!

    Rich

  9. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Simon
    Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pet hate at the moment is cars that overtake you and then want to turn left immediately.

    Agreed.

    > Not the obvious ones who try to wipe you out, but ones who overtake you and indicate left
    > then stop completely, waving you by on their

    Don't knock it. Those ones realise they've done wrong, and are correcting it in time to avoid the
    worst outcome. Which is as it should be; we all make mistakes. Waving you through is by way of a
    red-faced apology. Think of your inconvenience as a contribution to cager education.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Of course, some (many?) of us here are also car drivers - perhaps we are more cycle-friendly
    > than others.

    Not last night I wasn't. A rampant bug has left me with wobbly legs and zero energy so I drove to a
    meeting last night. Town blocked up with mobile greenhouses (now I know why I cycle -- its quicker).

    Guy (not Guy, you understand -- he's in Reading but this young bloke) on a yellow hack MTB skims off
    the pavement just in front of me (and gets an irritated hoot). I pass him but he skims past my
    offside at the lights, across onto the other pavement and over a ped crossing into the pedestrian
    area (I've not described the geography well -- but just stay with me).

    An AGE later I have struggled round the inner ring road and start to make my way out of town -- and
    guess who zips across another ped crossing 50 yards ahead of me and disappears.

    Bastard. To take that long getting through the town centre he must have stopped for a pint, a coffee
    or (just maybe) at the library to read War & Peace.

    I hate him -- for two reasons.

    1. He had no consideration for others or for the rules of the road.

    2. He was on a bike and not caught up in a traffic jam.

    Bastard : (

  11. In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my cycling buddies have come up with a
    way of remembering what the driver of what car will be like:

    Audi = Asshole BMW = BASTARD

    etc.

    www.grimbly.btinternet.co.uk

  12. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    >Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by giving way when they have the
    >right of way, as it causes uncertainty (except when they are letting you out of a side road - even
    >that can cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

    Too true. I was blabbering on about this the other week. I failed my driving test on this very
    issue, first time around. You got the right of way = you go. That's just good driving. Nothing else.

    Garry

  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:27:38 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My pet hate is the motorist on the oposite side of the road who flashes me to turn right, and
    >wonders why I don't move. The reason is usually they are trying to get me to turn right into the
    >path of the regular motorist undertaking them on their left. Its even worse if its a van or lorry.
    >
    >Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by giving way when they have the
    >right of way, as it causes uncertainty (except when they are letting you out of a side road - even
    >that can cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

    Hi Jim

    All that up there ^^^^^ usually causes more delays than if everyone had behaved in the fashion of a
    bastard, IMO.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  14. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Even in a car I hate it when people think they are being polite by giving way when they have the
    > right of way, as it causes uncertainty (except when they are letting you out of a side road - even
    > that can cause confusion if anyone hesitates).

    Yes, I can't stand that. I brake to a halt, so I've already stopped anyway and then they stop and
    wave you on. I wish they'd just kept going, it would have saved us both time.

    Pet hate at the moment is cars that overtake you and then want to turn left immediately. Not the
    obvious ones who try to wipe you out, but ones who overtake you and indicate left then stop
    completely, waving you by on their inside! The idiots then think their doing you a favour by
    letting you overtake a motor vehicle on its inside while it's indicating left.

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Graham Wakley" <[email protected]_nospamformeplease_btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my cycling buddies have come up with
    > a way of remembering what the driver of what car will be like:
    >
    > Audi = Asshole BMW = BASTARD

    Cadillac? Ford? Toyota?

  16. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "Graham Wakley" <[email protected]_nospamformeplease_btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my cycling buddies have come up with
    > a way of remembering what the driver of what car will be like:
    >
    > Audi = Asshole BMW = BASTARD

    Cyclist = C***?

    (;-)

    pk

  17. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "Graham Wakley" <[email protected]_nospamformeplease_btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:e2gghv8dj9stibkeeaii1pod6burfo[email protected]...
    > In my experience of motorists/cyclists I, in conjunction with my cycling buddies have come up with
    > a way of remembering what the driver of what car will be like:
    >
    > Audi = Asshole BMW = BASTARD

    I finally realised what BMW stands for; the middle word is Minded.....

  18. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Pet hate at the moment is cars that overtake you and then want to turn left immediately. Not the
    > obvious ones who try to wipe you out, but ones who overtake you and indicate left then stop
    > completely, waving you by on their inside! The idiots then think their doing you a favour by
    > letting you overtake a motor vehicle on its inside while it's indicating left.

    Having been wiped out in just such a situation, I would deliberately overtake them, even if it meant
    backing the bike up a bit.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  19. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Simon
    > Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Pet hate at the moment is cars that overtake you and then want to turn
    left
    > > immediately.
    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > > Not the obvious ones who try to wipe you out, but ones who overtake you and indicate left then
    > > stop completely, waving you by on
    their

    > Don't knock it. Those ones realise they've done wrong, and are correcting it in time to avoid the
    > worst outcome. Which is as it should be; we all make mistakes. Waving you through is by way of a
    > red-faced apology. Think of your inconvenience as a contribution to cager education.

    Perhaps, but all things being equal, I'd rather overtake a left indicating car on it's offside,
    which is what I end up doing.

    Simon

  20. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    In news:[email protected],

    > One of my pet peeves, whether as a cyclist, driver or ped, is when people do decide to give way to
    > you, in situations where priority may or may not be equal (often in circumstances where they have
    > no choice or it makes more sense for them to let me through because of the availability of a
    > suitable gap) then expect you to thank them for it. Often I do, one way or another but every now
    > and again you get someone who calls out "thank you" in a rather irritated sort of voice as you
    > pass, just because you didn't express suitable gestures or vocal tones of appreciation first. FFS,
    > if you decide to give way when it's hardly cost you anything anyway and it was reasonable to do so
    > in the circs, there's hardly any reason to _demand_ to be thanked for it or to get pissed off if
    > suitable gestures of appreciation aren't forthcoming!

    One of my pet peeves is people who do not give a nod/wave/word of thanks in just those circumstances
    - it costs nothing and makes the world a nicer place.

    pk