Blow outs and flats, handling

Greens

Guest
I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow leaks
and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

Greens wrote:
> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
> can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
> leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
> problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow leaks
> and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

In 17 years of mountain biking, I've never had a full on blowout. I
guess it could happen, but for me so far it hasn't. I'd imagine if you
happened to have one when going fast a crash would be pretty likely.
I've seen video of people landing big jumps and having one. They
inevitably have a horrible wreck. I guess I don't go big enough for that.

I have had a tire go flat in a second or two, but with a whoosh and not
a bang.

As for slow leaks, I have had many (mostly attributed to cactus). They
don't seem to be much of a problem until the pressure gets low enough to
make a pinch flat eminent.

Matt

On Aug 24, 10:47 am, MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Greens wrote:
> > I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
> > can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
> > leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
> > problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow leaks
> > and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

> In 17 years of mountain biking, I've never had a full on blowout. I
> guess it could happen, but for me so far it hasn't.
>
> Matt

That's cuz yer a platypus and your feets is so close to the ground....

On Aug 24, 12:27 pm, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
> can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
> leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
> problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow leaks
> and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

What is the best adult diaper?

/s

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greens wrote:
>> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
>> can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
>> leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
>> problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow
>> leaks and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

> In 17 years of mountain biking, I've never had a full on blowout. I guess
> it could happen, but for me so far it hasn't. I'd imagine if you happened
> to have one when going fast a crash would be pretty likely. I've seen
> video of people landing big jumps and having one. They inevitably have a
> horrible wreck. I guess I don't go big enough for that.
>
> I have had a tire go flat in a second or two, but with a whoosh and not a
> bang.
>
> As for slow leaks, I have had many (mostly attributed to cactus). They
> don't seem to be much of a problem until the pressure gets low enough to
> make a pinch flat eminent.
>
> Matt

So, would you say a crash is more likely in a fat tire blow out than a
skinny tire blow out? Like I said, I ride on the road with a mountain bike,
mostly because I got tired of fixing flats on the racing bike. I've been
reading accident reports and there are cases of people falling and getting
run over. That's what I want to avoid. If I have a flat or blow out, I want
to stay up while on the road. I want to maximise my chances of staying up
and in control.

"Greens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Greens wrote:
>>> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course.
>>> What can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had
>>> fast leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was
>>> no problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow
>>> leaks and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

>> In 17 years of mountain biking, I've never had a full on blowout. I guess
>> it could happen, but for me so far it hasn't. I'd imagine if you happened
>> to have one when going fast a crash would be pretty likely. I've seen
>> video of people landing big jumps and having one. They inevitably have a
>> horrible wreck. I guess I don't go big enough for that.
>>
>> I have had a tire go flat in a second or two, but with a whoosh and not a
>> bang.
>>
>> As for slow leaks, I have had many (mostly attributed to cactus). They
>> don't seem to be much of a problem until the pressure gets low enough to
>> make a pinch flat eminent.
>>
>> Matt

> So, would you say a crash is more likely in a fat tire blow out than a
> skinny tire blow out? Like I said, I ride on the road with a mountain
> bike, mostly because I got tired of fixing flats on the racing bike. I've
> been reading accident reports and there are cases of people falling and
> getting run over. That's what I want to avoid. If I have a flat or blow
> out, I want to stay up while on the road. I want to maximise my chances of
> staying up and in control.

I've had a blow out on the road (with my mtb) and it wasn't an issue (though
it was a rear blowout). I've also had a front blowout on a fairly steep dh
st and still remained upright.

I think the inherent nature of a more rear sitting (weighting) position on a
mtb induces stability in the bike vs. the riding position on a road bike.
I'd trust a fat tire blowout and the wider rim before a skinny tire and rim.

Gary

Greens wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Greens wrote:
>>> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
>>> can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
>>> leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
>>> problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow
>>> leaks and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

>> In 17 years of mountain biking, I've never had a full on blowout. I guess
>> it could happen, but for me so far it hasn't. I'd imagine if you happened
>> to have one when going fast a crash would be pretty likely. I've seen
>> video of people landing big jumps and having one. They inevitably have a
>> horrible wreck. I guess I don't go big enough for that.
>>
>> I have had a tire go flat in a second or two, but with a whoosh and not a
>> bang.
>>
>> As for slow leaks, I have had many (mostly attributed to cactus). They
>> don't seem to be much of a problem until the pressure gets low enough to
>> make a pinch flat eminent.
>>
>> Matt

> So, would you say a crash is more likely in a fat tire blow out than a
> skinny tire blow out? Like I said, I ride on the road with a mountain bike,
> mostly because I got tired of fixing flats on the racing bike. I've been
> reading accident reports and there are cases of people falling and getting
> run over. That's what I want to avoid. If I have a flat or blow out, I want
> to stay up while on the road. I want to maximise my chances of staying up
> and in control.

No. I don't have enough data to make that call. Just passing along some
observations. Interpret them as you wish, but I think GeeDubb is
probably right.
I've never crashed as the direct result of a flat on either bike.

Matt

On 24 Aug, 17:27, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been riding my mountain bike on the roads, fat tires of course. What
> can I expect if I get a blowout while zipping down the road? I had fast
> leaks years ago on a racing bike and handling was worse, but it was no
> problem to pull over without crashing. Do mountain bikes handle slow leaks
> and blow outs as well? Do they even get blow outs?

If its a front - hold it straight and brake as normal, if you turn at
all you'll fishtail like a fool and crash - ive had a few like this.

If its a rear - forget it, its not a problem.