Blowing $600

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by IzzyG, Apr 7, 2006.

1. IzzyG

IzzyG New Member

Heya guys. I just came across an amount of cash that I'm planning to spend on cycling. My question is, what's the best way to spend it. I know it's a rather personal question but I'm not too sure which of these purchases would be the best for cycling performance improvement.

1.Coaching services(6 months)
    2.HRM and Power Output sensor($300),Rollers($150),Coaching(1mth)
    3.Others

Opinions are welcomed, so are advice.

Izzy G.

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Coaching is great if you have a specific event that you want to peak for - otherwise I'd say get a whole bunch of really good bibshorts.

3. StartTday

StartTday New Member

Peronsally I would say coaching.

Gauging your own performance based on HR and Power Meters is nice, but cycling is mroe than that. Granted you will get one month of coaching with your second option, I just feel that isnt enough time to gather your progression.

I'd say go with six months of coaching. Your coach will be with you long enough to go through different phases of your training.

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Spend it on entry fees and travel to races, century-challenge events, or a week-long cycling camp or tour in some really cool place.

5. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

Save it for gym memberships and tire/tube replacements. Take yourself out sometimes... just don't blow it on something useless (eg coaches, HR monitors, whatever).

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Given the choices, #2. There are enough printed articles on training that a person can put together a plan for themselves for improving their performance via training w/ a powermeter/HRM. Rollers are good if you live in one of those areas that might have you indoors a fair amount of the time. They're also waynar for putting a finer edge on bike handling skills.

You might also consider:
    1. Bibs (or shorts)
    2. Wheels
    3. Tools
    4. A fixie

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Obviously, I don't know your bike, but perhaps putting that 600 usd into newer/better wheels which will improve your performance (that is if you don't have nice wheels already).

8. IzzyG

IzzyG New Member

I'm riding a Cervelo Soloist Team. I think coaching services would improve my performance more than a pair of wheels, no matter how great they are. As for keeping it for other 'useful' things, I already am enjoying myself as far as going out, etc. This 600 is on top of that. Anyways, I bought a Polar s720i with the power function, for a total of 330. So 270 left. Probably gonna try to get used rollers for 100 and use the remainder for clothes and bike misc. Thanks for the input guys, helped straighten a few thoughts. =D

Izzy G.