Blowingstone 100 Audax - my first (yay!)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew Chadwick, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Blimey. A bit hot today, wasn't it? I was on the Uffington Blowingtone 100km Audax today, and the
    three there from Oxford had to share out our water on the way back and make do, coping with gloopy
    tarmac and radiant heat off the road.

    Uffington - Lambourn, via Scary Hill, Fogbourne and the barrow downs, to Lechlade - Bampton -
    Bablock Hythe - Charney Basset - West Challow and back to Uffington. Any other urcers ride in
    that area?

    This is my first Audax after 8 months or so of day rides starting from nearly scratch, and it felt
    pretty damn good. At the speeds we were doing it at, it seemed a lot less competitive than I though
    it would be, which suits me just fine. It's sort of left me wondering, though - where should I go
    from here? Do AUK offer 125 or 150 km audaxes at all?

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together

    Tags:

  2. Bigman

    Bigman New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2003
    Well done, that must have been hot!!
    Have a look at the audax web site, there are plenty of 150 and 200 coming up.
    There are some good ones in Derby at the start of August.
    Go for it!

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > This is my first Audax after 8 months or so of day rides starting from nearly scratch, and it felt
    > pretty damn good. At the speeds we were doing it at, it seemed a lot less competitive than I
    > though it would be, which suits me just fine. It's sort of left me wondering, though - where
    > should I go from here? Do AUK offer 125 or 150 km audaxes at all?

    This year a lot of the longer rides have been put forward to capture the PBP market, next year they
    should be more spread out. They are not at all competitive, that's the whole point.Beware, they are
    addictive, before you know it you'll be up at 0300 for a 300 and even considering an SR.

  4. Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote: ( Uffington - Lambourn, via Scary Hill,
    Fogbourne and the barrow downs, to ) Lechlade - Bampton - Bablock Hythe - Charney Basset - West
    Challow and ( back to Uffington. Any other urcers ride in that area?

    Oxford to Uffington through Charney Bassett and back through Abingdon is one of my regular summer
    days out. It seems there's always a cyclist in red and gold Swindon kit somewhere around Charney
    Bassett or Goosey, going about twice as fast (and probably twice as far) as me. Odd that.

    I think I'm looking forward to the proposed bridge at Bablock Hythe.

  5. Thus spake Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]>

    > This is my first Audax after 8 months or so of day rides starting from nearly scratch, and it felt
    > pretty damn good. At the speeds we were doing it at, it seemed a lot less competitive than I
    > though it would be, which suits me just fine. It's sort of left me wondering, though - where
    > should I go from here? Do AUK offer 125 or 150 km audaxes at all?

    Luton-Hertford 150 in (usu) early September. Then there are 200km, 300km, 400km & 600km events.

    Once you're mad enough, there's the 1400km Edinburgh-London and the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris(PBP).
    As others have posted,

    AUDAX IS ADDICTIVE!

    You have been warned...

  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Blimey. A bit hot today, wasn't it? I was on the Uffington Blowingtone 100km Audax today, and the
    > three there from Oxford had to share out our water on the way back and make do, coping with gloopy
    > tarmac and radiant heat off the road.
    >
    > Uffington - Lambourn, via Scary Hill, Fogbourne and the barrow downs, to Lechlade - Bampton -
    > Bablock Hythe - Charney Basset - West Challow and back to Uffington. Any other urcers ride in
    > that area?
    >
    > This is my first Audax after 8 months or so of day rides starting from nearly scratch, and it felt
    > pretty damn good. At the speeds we were doing it at, it seemed a lot less competitive than I
    > though it would be, which suits me just fine. It's sort of left me wondering, though - where
    > should I go from here? Do AUK offer 125 or 150 km audaxes at all?

    Andrew, here you go: (a temporary site, the audax.org.uk calendar is better)

    http://www.aukhawk.uklinux.net/cal/index.htm

  7. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Andrew, here you go: (a temporary site, the audax.org.uk calendar is better)
    >
    > http://www.aukhawk.uklinux.net/cal/index.htm
    Try http://www.audax.uk.net/ - it's the canonical URL for the AUK site. Follow the links to the
    calender therein.

    Simon (who happens to manage the AUK webserver)
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Lara Croft may be a
    world-class athlete, but she handles like a truck." -- from a BBC review of 'Tomb Raider: Angel

  8. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:17:46 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Oxford to Uffington through Charney Bassett and back through Abingdon is one of my regular summer
    > days out. It seems there's always a cyclist in red and gold Swindon kit somewhere around Charney
    > Bassett or Goosey, going about twice as fast (and probably twice as far) as me. Odd that.

    Not what you'd call traditional touring kit, exactly. For the record, that's not me.

    > I think I'm looking forward to the proposed bridge at Bablock Hythe.

    If it's the place I think it is, there was some mention in the (horribly overpriced) pub overlooking
    the river narrowing there that it might be implemented as a chain-dragged ferry thingy. Probably
    worth a look once it's up, at the very least.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick <We're all in this together

  9. Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote: ( > I think I'm looking forward to the proposed
    bridge at Bablock Hythe. ) ( If it's the place I think it is, there was some mention in the
    (horribly ) overpriced) pub overlooking the river narrowing there that it might be ( implemented as
    a chain-dragged ferry thingy.

    There "always" used to be a ferry there, which is premusably why the pub is called the Ferryman. The
    last ferry I remember was, I think, not fixed but involved ringing a bell at the Eaton side to call
    someone from the pub.

  10. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Uffington - Lambourn, via Scary Hill, Fogbourne and the barrow downs, to Lechlade - Bampton -
    > Bablock Hythe - Charney Basset - West Challow and back to Uffington. Any other urcers ride in
    > that area?

    I'm hoping to get a ride in this Sunday, as I'm staying in Oxford for the weekend, and that sounds
    like a perfect route. Any other recommendations for a 100k-160k ride in the area? A few hills would
    be OK, say 1k of ascent over the distance.

    suggestions welcome...