blown tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank

has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like 40
PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....
(althought the tire says 65psi max).

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like 40
> PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....
> (althought the tire says 65psi max).

Yes people have exploded bike tyres that way and it is dangerous. Gas station pumps are designed to
fill car tyres quickly, and they are vastly larger that bike tyres. Don't do it.

The kind of electric pumps that run off a car cigarette lighter are much slower than the ones in a
gas station, and I think they are reasonably safe provided you are careful.

Frank <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like 40
> PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....
>
>
>
>

Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right, but for
mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high. i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the
gauge on my car lighter pump, and by feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

You got to be smarter then the machine. Never had any problems with using compressor pumps, smallest
to the largest.

Fire up MTB 03

I've got both. Yesterday I was filling my Continental Town & Country tires (26 x 1.95), I believe
the PSI range is 35 -65. these are considered to be... semislicks but they are more towards the
'slick' end. And yes the pump that i was using plugs into the car cigerette lighter pumps
rythmetically like "pu pu pu pu pu pu pu" as opposed to the gas station
"Psssssssssssssssssssssssssss"

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like
> > 40 PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to
pump
> > more in fearing it will blow.... (althought the tire says 65psi max).
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right,
> but for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high. i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only
> used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or
> 15 though.
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Technician wrote:

>>has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like 40
>>PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....
>>(althought the tire says 65psi max).
>>
>>
>
> Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right, but
> for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high.

Rubbish. 40 isn't high really - I'd say most run their tyres between 35 and 45psi. I run my tyres
at 60 psi.

> i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by feeling
> the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.

Then expect pinch flats very soon...

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Technician wrote:
>
> >>has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like
> >>40 PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to
pump
> >>more in fearing it will blow.... (althought the tire says 65psi max).
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right, but
> > for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high.
>
> Rubbish. 40 isn't high really - I'd say most run their tyres between 35 and 45psi. I run my tyres
> at 60 psi.
>
> > i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by
> > feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.
>
> Then expect pinch flats very soon...
>

Bomba is right on here (though I never use the word rubbish). I run the tires on my FS about 50, a
little less on the hard tail. I run my Conti T&C at 65 regularly, rolls a heck of a lot better.

At your size Travis, 20 psi seems way too low.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

We fill tires at the bike shop up with a compressor that puts out quite a bit of pressure. Fills
mountain bike tires up real quick. Road tires we usually top off with a pump. We usually fill them
up towards the upper end of the rating so that people can let out air if they want, plus they lose
air if they're sitting on the floor. Road tires we usually put at 100psi, which is pretty standard.

As for using a compressor, just be careful. More than anything else, make sure if it has a gauge,
its an accurate one. Ones at gas stations are notoriously bad. Take one with you - if you've got
schraeder valves, which I'd assume you do what with using the gas station pump, then just one of
those pen ones works. If you want to get more accurate, a few companies make models for individual
use, or just use a pump with one to check.

Jon Bond

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Technician wrote:
> >
> > >>has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems
> > >>like 40 PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to
> pump
> > >>more in fearing it will blow.... (althought the tire says 65psi max).
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > > Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right,
> > > but for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high.
> >
> > Rubbish. 40 isn't high really - I'd say most run their tyres between 35 and 45psi. I run my
> > tyres at 60 psi.
> >
> > > i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by
> > > feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.
> >
> > Then expect pinch flats very soon...
> >
>
> Bomba is right on here (though I never use the word rubbish). I run the tires on my FS about 50, a
> little less on the hard tail. I run my Conti T&C at 65 regularly, rolls a heck of a lot better.
>
> At your size Travis, 20 psi seems way too low.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
>
>
>

Perhaps, but it has been over 600 miles since i have gotten a pinch flat (or any type of flat). but
on the other hand, perhaps the gauge on the pump is not accurate. i usually pump them to a
particular firmness, i have felt the rim hit on a few bumps, but none of them resulted in a pinch
flat. and there again too, the hits are on the rear tire, and that one has a slime filled tube.
perhaps i do get pinch flats, but they never actually go flat. could be an advertisement for slime
;-) i'll check with a proper gauge... ok, back was at 20, and front was at 21. so i brought them up
to 45 and 50 respectfully (i always like to run the front a touch more, don't ask why, cause i don't
know why). i can imaging it wile ride like a dump truck now, but i shouldn't feel the rim hit
anywhere anymore. should even roll faster. the tires stated a psi range of 40 - 60 (never actually
noticed this before), so at least they are within specs now. i can't imagine running them at 60
pounds, just seems a bit extreme to me (i got a bit scared just bringing the front up to 50). have
to take a quick ride and see if it improved the rolling resistance any (should have).
--
~Travis

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Technician wrote:
>
> >>has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like
> >>40 PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to
pump
> >>more in fearing it will blow.... (althought the tire says 65psi max).
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right, but
> > for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high.
>
> Rubbish. 40 isn't high really - I'd say most run their tyres between 35 and 45psi. I run my tyres
> at 60 psi.
>
> > i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by
> > feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.
>
> Then expect pinch flats very soon...
>

I run mine about 45-50 on my NRS to keep the rolling resistance down. If it's wet and slippery in
the woods (as it is most of the winter here), I'll usually drop them to 35 or thereabouts while off
road. If I'm riding home on tarmac I'll pump them up again.
--
Westie

Technician <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> ok, back was at 20, and front was at 21. so i brought them up to 45 and 50 respectfully (i always
> like to run the front a touch more, don't ask why, cause i don't know why). i can imaging it wile
> ride like a dump truck now, but i shouldn't feel the rim hit anywhere anymore. should even roll
> faster. the tires stated a psi range of 40 - 60 (never actually noticed this before), so at least
> they are within specs now. i can't imagine running them at 60 pounds, just seems a bit extreme to
> me (i got a bit scared just bringing the front up to 50). have to take a quick ride and see if it
> improved the rolling resistance any (should have).
>

Well, it did ride like a dump truck. seemed like every bit of gravel sent a jolt up my spine, and it
generated a headache in no time. it would seem i have found the reason for padded shorts. I did
notice a lack of traction on wet rock, where i had plenty before. i may drop the pressure down by 5
or 10 pounds, though maybe not. the headache could have simply been from the fact that the ride was
before supper and i had a light lunch.
--
~Travis

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:53:52 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Technician wrote:
>
>>>has anyone ever blown a bike tire using a gas station pump/ or any electronic pumps? Seems like
>>>40 PSI my tires are rock solid already, and i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....
>>>(althought the tire says 65psi max).
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Are you filling road or off-road tires??? for road tires, sure, 65 psi could be about right, but
>> for mtb tires, i think 40 is considered high.

Agreed. I run mine at 50# all day long!
>
>Rubbish. 40 isn't high really - I'd say most run their tyres between 35 and 45psi. I run my tyres
>at 60 psi.
>
>> i think mine run a little under 20 psi (only used the gauge on my car lighter pump, and by
>> feeling the tire). they could be closer to 10 or 15 though.
>
>Then expect pinch flats very soon...

I seriously doubt the above.

>
>
>

FWIW. I try and keep my tires at between 40 and 50 psi. If it's wet I drop the rear to about 35. On
hard pack or tarmac I put 65 plus pounds. If I run too low in the rear (40 or less) I notice I
pound the rims.

For comparison, I am 6'1" and about 215 or so and I XC.

Marty

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 06:09:22 GMT, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i'm afraid to pump more in fearing it will blow....

ROFLMAO!

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Yiou can go right up to eighty, if thats what the tire says, but be wary of the guarges at seros.
Cars run at mutch lower preasures than bikes, wo the guages are made to be accurate in a different
range, also people don't look after those guages.

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Technician <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > ok, back was at 20, and front was at 21. so i brought them up to 45 and 50 respectfully (i
> > always like to run the front a touch more, don't ask why, cause i don't know why). i can imaging
> > it wile ride like a dump truck now, but i shouldn't feel the rim hit anywhere anymore. should
> > even roll faster. the tires stated a psi range of 40 - 60 (never actually noticed this before),
> > so at least they are within specs now. i can't imagine running them at 60 pounds, just seems a
> > bit extreme to me (i got a bit scared just bringing the front up to 50). have to take a quick
> > ride and see if it improved the rolling resistance any (should have).
> >
>
> Well, it did ride like a dump truck. seemed like every bit of gravel sent a jolt up my spine, and
> it generated a headache in no time. it would seem i have found the reason for padded shorts. I did
> notice a lack of traction on wet rock, where i had plenty before. i may drop the pressure down by
> 5 or 10 pounds, though maybe not. the headache could have simply been from the fact that the ride
> was before supper and i had a light lunch.
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Status
Not open for further replies.