Blue and Red Blinkies

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
imi not the first to have tried this, but what about using blinking blue and red LED lights on the rear of a bike in order to fool drivers into thinking they are approaching an emergency vehicle. this sounds illegal to me here in indiana. any thoughts? break the law to add a huge layer of safety when riding in low-light or dark conditions or what?

I read somewhere that Blue light is easier to spot in the dark than any other coloured light. However I was always under the impression that in the UK it is against the law to have flashing lights. I've always used red blinker/flashing lights though and have been passed by the Police many times and have never been stopped. I think they find having no lights obviously more of a big deal.

Never seen a blue one for sale so I would'nt know. Immoral-pretending to be emergency services? The only thing I would worry about is it legel? Are they Police going to get ****** off about it? Does it help other road users see me better? If the police are cool and it makes me visable I'd use it.

Find out what the ticket costs and risk it. Or not. They're not going to throw you in jail, though it may cost $500, but I believe you'd just get a stern warning.

I want to put in my vote for reflective tape. Tape plus a car's headlights generates much more brightness than any warning blinker, though it would give your game away unless the cops ride bikes at night in your area.

this is mostly, if not always, out in the country. so the only law enforcers that would stop me would be a sheriff. and they have to cover a huge area, so im sure they are usually busy with more important issues. i would rather not get pulled over and have a sheriff tell me to remove the blue light. and then he goes and tells the other couple of sheriffs about it, then i get pulled over again for the same thing. he or the other sheriffs would get mad for disregarding the order. i will ride with the blue and red blinkies until someone with any power tells me to stop doing it.

http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm this is with out a doubt the best reflective tape on the market. I have it all over my roadie and I jut put 3 huge pieces of green on my commuter bike rear basket. I love the stuff. it is strong weather proof and super bright. you can see it for miles. I uploaded a photo to the cycling forums photo gallery. it is my roadie with the tape all over the frame.

vio765 said:
imi not the first to have tried this, but what about using blinking blue and red LED lights on the rear of a bike in order to fool drivers into thinking they are approaching an emergency vehicle. this sounds illegal to me here in indiana. any thoughts? break the law to add a huge layer of safety when riding in low-light or dark conditions or what?

I have Red PlanetBike Super Flash on the rear of all my bikes. But also here in Florida we can not have Blue lights or Blue blinking lights. Only police vehicles can. We can get a ticket. Green might be used or yellow..Cheers :D