Blue Ridge Parkway advice

Lucyspin

Jun 8, 2010
Hello, am new to the forum. Live in Gainesville, FL and commute to work by bike and ride weekends on our wonderful rail-trails. My husband and I (late 40s) are considering bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway on our tandem in late July, from mile post 240 north to MP 118 and then back (250 miles in all) over 5 days. We live in north Florida so although it's relatively flat we do have many rolling hills. A routine ride for us is 60 miles, though we've never done a multi-day ride. We'd have accommodations along the way, at least one other rider with us, and hopefully a support wagon. My question is, does this sound like a reasonable trip or is it too ambitious for a couple of flatlanders? Thanks!

Thats not too amibitious. I have riden most of the parkway and the hills are not that steep. Just make sure you have some low gears (i would suggest for people who do not climb a lot at least a 39 in the front (perferablly a 34 compact) and at least a 27 in the rear. This would make your trip that much more enjoyable because you wont be suffering too much on the hills.

By the way....The parkway is absolutely gorgeous:D

Lucyspin said:
Hello, am new to the forum. Live in Gainesville, FL and commute to work by bike and ride weekends on our wonderful rail-trails. My husband and I (late 40s) are considering bicycling the Blue Ridge Parkway on our tandem in late July, from mile post 240 north to MP 118 and then back (250 miles in all) over 5 days. We live in north Florida so although it's relatively flat we do have many rolling hills. A routine ride for us is 60 miles, though we've never done a multi-day ride. We'd have accommodations along the way, at least one other rider with us, and hopefully a support wagon. My question is, does this sound like a reasonable trip or is it too ambitious for a couple of flatlanders? Thanks!

I'd make sure I have a 32 tooth cog; just in case (12/32 cassette)

You definitely want to get some climbing work in before you go. hskip11 is right that the hills aren't too steep, but they are long. If you visit Mount Mitchell, that is 3 miles of fairly steep climbing.

The drivers tend to be pretty cool about cyclists and will give you plenty of room but facilities tend to be spread out, so a Sag Wagon is a good idea. The Parkway is beautiful in the summer and even better in the fall. If you start your rides at daybreak, you will see a lot more wildlife alongside the road. They get scared once the cars start running. Also make sure that you have rain gear and jackets close at hand. The weather changes very quickly in those hills.