A route I know personally. (Near Waynesboro)
From Wintergreen Ski Resort up to the Blue Ridge Parkway(1 mile away). Go South on the Blue Ridge
Parkway for about 25'ish miles to Virginia State road 56(near Montebello). Go down 56 and stop at
Crabtree Falls for lunch(1500 foot cascading waterfall). Highway 56 is a 20 mile curvy backroads
Appalachian road which is for the most part downhill to Massies Mill. There are a few uphill
sections when coming from the parkway. Take highway 56 from the Parkway to Virginia 151. From 151
it's about 20 miles back to Wintegreen through a low(1800 ft) mtn pass.
A wonderful drive, and a long day loop. On the Blue Ridge Parkway, don't fall off the grassy cliffs.
😄 Just be forewarned, there are no shortcuts to shorten this loop. It circles around a 5000ft mtn.
If you decide to ride this, please respond to the newsgroup. I'll ride it with you.
Joel Rose said:Hello,
I was wondering if the Blue Ridge Parkway is a good spot for a 3-4 day road bike trip? I would like
to just go for some 30-50 mile rides and return to my lodging accommodations afterwards, most
likely from the same place as I am not equipped for any camping trips while on the bike.
Any advice on locations to stay overnight or any good ride destinations in this area? And how far
would it be from Niagara Falls to these destinations?
Thanks in advance for any info🙂)
Joel Rose