Blue Ridge Parkway rides??

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Joel Rose, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Hello,

    I was wondering if the Blue Ridge Parkway is a good spot for a 3-4 day road bike trip? I would like
    to just go for some 30-50 mile rides and return to my lodging accommodations afterwards, most likely
    from the same place as I am not equipped for any camping trips while on the bike.

    Any advice on locations to stay overnight or any good ride destinations in this area? And how far
    would it be from Niagara Falls to these destinations?

    Thanks in advance for any info:))

    Joel Rose

    Tags:

  2. Amh

    Amh Guest

    "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if the Blue Ridge Parkway is a good spot for a 3-4 day road bike trip? I would
    > like to just go for some 30-50 mile rides and return to my lodging accommodations afterwards, most
    > likely from the same place as I am not equipped for any camping trips while on the bike.
    >
    > Any advice on locations to stay overnight or any good ride destinations in this area? And how far
    > would it be from Niagara Falls to these destinations?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info:))
    >
    > Joel Rose

    Hi Joel,

    The Parkway itself is a limiting factor. Any loop I can think of would involve upward of 100 miles
    in which you'd have to exit the park ride down to a parallel road and then back up. The park exits
    are in the area of 50 miles apart from each other.

    I'd suggest finding a place in the area of Staunton, VA. and then you can either do an up and back
    on the parkway or ride around in the Shenandoah Valley. Staunton is rather centrally located and you
    can find hotels either just off the parkway or more in town. I hear good things about
    Charolettesville but I've never ridden there.

    www.nps.gov and search for Shenandoah Park or Blue Ridge Parkway.

    Andy

  3. Bjp4321

    Bjp4321 Guest

    >I was wondering if the Blue Ridge Parkway is a good spot for a 3-4 day road bike trip?

    Joel,

    You may want to try the book:

    A Cyclist's Guide to the Shennandoah Valley by Randy Porter adn Nancy Sorrells.

    You can find this book at the Adventure Cycling web site. Amazon.com may have it too.Price should be
    around $14.95 This book is filled with loop rides in the valley and up onto the Skyline Drive and
    Blue Ridge Parkway. There are rides in Harrisonburg, Bridgewater, Waynesboro, Staunton, and
    Lexington. My favorite area is the Bridgewater, Harrisonburg area, however, the Staunton/Waynesboro
    area is nice too. The valley riding is the best cycling in the state of Virginia. Have fun

    bill

  4. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    Thank you for the great posts. I hope I can take advantage of your good advice:) Still lots of snow
    here in S.Ontario and I need a change from it all!

    Joel Rose "BJP4321" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >I was wondering if the Blue Ridge Parkway is a good spot for a 3-4 day
    road
    > >bike trip?
    >

    > Joel,
    >
    > You may want to try the book:
    >
    > A Cyclist's Guide to the Shennandoah Valley by Randy Porter adn Nancy Sorrells.
    >
    > You can find this book at the Adventure Cycling web site. Amazon.com may
    have
    > it too.Price should be around $14.95 This book is filled with loop rides in the valley and up onto
    > the Skyline
    Drive
    > and Blue Ridge Parkway. There are rides in Harrisonburg, Bridgewater, Waynesboro, Staunton, and
    > Lexington. My favorite area is the Bridgewater, Harrisonburg area, however, the
    > Staunton/Waynesboro area is nice too. The valley riding is the best cycling in the state of
    > Virginia. Have fun
    >
    > bill

  5. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    A route I know personally. (Near Waynesboro)

    From Wintergreen Ski Resort up to the Blue Ridge Parkway(1 mile away). Go South on the Blue Ridge
    Parkway for about 25'ish miles to Virginia State road 56(near Montebello). Go down 56 and stop at
    Crabtree Falls for lunch(1500 foot cascading waterfall). Highway 56 is a 20 mile curvy backroads
    Appalachian road which is for the most part downhill to Massies Mill. There are a few uphill
    sections when coming from the parkway. Take highway 56 from the Parkway to Virginia 151. From 151
    it's about 20 miles back to Wintegreen through a low(1800 ft) mtn pass.

    A wonderful drive, and a long day loop. On the Blue Ridge Parkway, don't fall off the grassy cliffs.
    :D Just be forewarned, there are no shortcuts to shorten this loop. It circles around a 5000ft mtn.

    If you decide to ride this, please respond to the newsgroup. I'll ride it with you.