Blue Ridge Parkway

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Damien Bartholo, May 24, 2003.

  1. I am planning a relatively small bike tour from Roanoke, VA to Front Royal, VA via the Blue Ridge
    Parkeway and then Skyline Drive. My question is: I have riden on Skyline many times and know the
    hill difficulty, but have never been on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Is the Parkway (between Roanoke and
    Waynesboro) more or less difficult than Skyline overall?

    I appreciate any input and experience you might have.

    Thanks Damien

    Tags:

  2. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    > I am planning a relatively small bike tour from Roanoke, VA to Front Royal, VA via the Blue Ridge
    > Parkeway and then Skyline Drive. My question is: I have riden on Skyline many times and know the
    > hill difficulty, but have never been on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Is the Parkway (between Roanoke
    > and Waynesboro) more or less difficult than Skyline overall?
    >
    > I appreciate any input and experience you might have.

    The Parkway has wild variations in elevations whereas Skyline Drive pretty much follows a plateau
    around 3000 feet. In addition, services are very limited are are usually from 35 to 75 miles apart.

    From Roanoke to Peaks of Otter (35 miles) the going is all uphill with an elevation gain of 2600
    feet. The last five miles are a tough stretch of steep road.

    From Peaks of Otter to Otter Creek (22 miles) you pass the highest point at 3950 feet then have an
    awesome downhill of about 15 miles and 3000 feet of elevation to one of the lowest points in the
    park at 630 feet (Bluff Mountain Tunnel) .

    From Otter Creek to Humpback Rocks visitors center (54 miles) you will have up and downs and a
    totall of about 5600 feet in elevation gain. Most of the elevation is from Otter Creek (777 ft) to
    Yankee Horse Ridge at 3140 feet. Then ups and downs the resy of the way.

    From Humpback Ridge Visitors Center it's 6 miles to Rock Fish Gap entrance station (4 miles to
    Waynesboro). You drop about 400 feet in elevation. Rock Fish Gap is at 1900 ft and Humpback is
    at 2360 ft.