Blue Ridge Pkwy Planning - Lodging Near james River

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Cbike, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Cbike

    Cbike Guest

    In planning our trip for June we are trying to reduce the mileage on the first day. Therefore we're
    looking for lodging where the parkway crosses the James River. Anyone aware of lodging along the
    river between Glasgow and Lynchburg? The Skinner book has no information on this and lists the first
    place to be Peaks of Otter Lodge at MP 85.7.

    Appreciate any help. Thanks Charlie

    Tags:

  2. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "CBike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In planning our trip for June we are trying to reduce the mileage on the
    first
    > day. Therefore we're looking for lodging where the parkway crosses the
    James
    > River. Anyone aware of lodging along the river between Glasgow and
    Lynchburg?
    > The Skinner book has no information on this and lists the first place to
    be
    > Peaks of Otter Lodge at MP 85.7.
    >
    > Appreciate any help. Thanks Charlie

    That area of Bedford County is remote and I don't recall any nearby motels. It's not far from
    there to the Peaks where there is a campground and lodge. Be warned however that you have a
    memorable 13+ mile climb up Apple Orchard Mountain that starts just after you cross the James if
    you are heading south.