Bluetooth Headset

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rhys Lewis, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Rhys Lewis

    Rhys Lewis Guest

    Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth headsets and
    bicycle helmets? I would ideally like something that

    - Can be taken from a pocket and used to answer a call
    with one hand
    - Will fit when I'm wearing a helmet
    - Doesn't suffer too badly from wind noise
    - Won't pick up too much traffic noise

    It's hard to find a shop that has more than one headset on
    display, and I haven't even bothered to ask for a test-
    drive. I don't want to have to work through a whole series
    of them at £75 a go.

    I would like to use it with a P800, and the wired headset
    that comes with the phone keeps falling out of my left ear.

    Rhys

    Tags:

  2. Rhys Lewis wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth headsets and
    > bicycle helmets?

    I have a Jabra Bluetooth headset that I wear while cycling
    - you have to tuck the mouthpiece in under the chinstrap
    but it's no less comfortable than wearing the headset
    without a helmet.

    > - Doesn't suffer too badly from wind noise
    > - Won't pick up too much traffic noise

    I find my Jabra headset almost impossible to use while
    actually riding - you can hear the other person all right
    but they won't be able to hear you. I don't know how other
    headsets compare but I suspect they're all much of a
    muchness in this respect - you need one with a mike boom
    that's as long as possible if you want anyone to be able to
    hear you talk while you're riding. I mainly wear the headset
    so I can actually hear when the phone rings and if it's
    convenient I just pull over to the side of the road while I
    answer the call.

    And it's definitely best to put your headset on before
    setting off rather than trying to insert it into your ear
    while riding. Or stop then insert it - but to me that
    would seem to defeat the object of having a headset in the
    first place.

    > It's hard to find a shop that has more than one headset on
    > display, and I haven't even bothered to ask for a test-
    > drive. I don't want to have to work through a whole series
    > of them at £75 a go.

    Try this site - it has a good selection of kit available,
    prices are good and I generally find their information
    reliable, ie if they recommend it, I trust them:
    http://www.expansys.com

    d.

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Rhys
    Lewis ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth headsets and
    > bicycle helmets? I would ideally like something that
    >
    > - Can be taken from a pocket and used to answer a call
    > with one hand
    > - Will fit when I'm wearing a helmet
    > - Doesn't suffer too badly from wind noise
    > - Won't pick up too much traffic noise
    >
    > It's hard to find a shop that has more than one headset on
    > display, and I haven't even bothered to ask for a test-
    > drive. I don't want to have to work through a whole series
    > of them at £75 a go.
    >
    > I would like to use it with a P800, and the wired
    > headset that comes with the phone keeps falling out of
    > my left ear.

    I read a good comparative review of half a dozen brands on
    the Web somewhere in the past three months but I can't find
    it now. There's something more limited here
    <URL:http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/hardware/btheadsets/>

    I note Plantronics make 'em; in my experience their stuff is
    usually quality.

    Oh, whoops, yes, found the review. <URL:http://www.howardch-
    ui.com/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=142>

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls.
    Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the 1% of
    browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

  4. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Oh, whoops, yes, found the review.

    <URL:http://www.howardchui.com/modules.php?name=Sections&so-
    p=viewarticle&art id=142>

    Ha! My headset gets 0/5 for performance! Great!

    I have to say it is certainly comfortable and easy to use,
    but I've not used any other headsets so I can't compare. And
    to be honest I didn't actually choose this model - it was
    given to me as a Christmas present - so maybe I would have
    chosen something else if I had been doing the buying.

    d.

  5. [email protected] (Rhys Lewis) writes:

    >Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth headsets and
    >bicycle helmets? I would ideally like something that

    >- Can be taken from a pocket and used to answer a call with
    > one hand
    >- Will fit when I'm wearing a helmet
    >- Doesn't suffer too badly from wind noise
    >- Won't pick up too much traffic noise

    >It's hard to find a shop that has more than one headset on
    >display, and I haven't even bothered to ask for a test-
    >drive. I don't want to have to work through a whole series
    >of them at #75 a go.

    >I would like to use it with a P800, and the wired headset
    >that comes with the phone keeps falling out of my left ear.

    To reduce wind noise you're going to have to cover the mike
    in some kind of open cell foam or hairy stuff, as used by
    outside broadcasters. Any shop which sells expensive
    microphones will be able to sell you a lump of the
    appropriate stuff, if you're short of likely looking junk to
    play with. I suspect quite a bit is needed. Alternatively
    you could try the WWII pilot throat mike anti-noise trick,
    and sellotape the mike to your Adam's apple, then wrap a
    scarf round it.

    You could try fitting one of those moulded jelly-plastic
    things on to the earpiece, which are meant to improve fit,
    bass response, etc., but incidentally are harder to remove.

    What I do on a bike if expecting a phone call is stick my
    wired headset in, set the phone to auto-answer, and no hands
    are needed at all.
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <o7f6i1-
    [email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I note Plantronics make 'em; in my experience their stuff
    > is usually quality.

    Ive got one of those. It's got the battery life of a thing
    with the worst battery life I've ever come accross. And it
    can't maintain a wireless link with the phone. And thats
    when I'm sat at my desk!

    .paul