Blur+coil shock

cristobal41

Oct 29, 2003
Hi you all:
I am thinking about swapping my 5th air by the titanium coil in my Blur. Comments, please.

MtnBikerChk said:
tell us why you want to change it!
Hi again:
I always thought that coil sprung shocks and forks had better feeling and tuning options that air ones. I also know that air systems had reached the highest level in perfomances. So my heart says the first and my mind the second. Both might be all right, but due to that my 5th air was not the best option because of some well known problems, I feel like trying the coil one.
Look forward.

cristobal41 said:
Hi you all:
I am thinking about swapping my 5th air by the titanium coil in my Blur. Comments, please.

Have you been suffering from the "typical" 5th air issues? They have had a lot of unhappy customers with the airs. There are other options for you, but...

The coils have been (in my experience of having a coil and several close friends riding at least one bike with the air) more reliable. Two years ago the 5th element was the only game in town (for less than $600+), but now there are other options that fit the Blur.

If you just "want" to replace it (no real need) then I would say save your money. If you have been having issues with your air shock and are tired of sending it in and having seals blow, shafts die or any other issues then change shocks, but don't lock yourself into only one other choice.

Anyway, not a direct answer, however hopefully helpful.

K.

ireman_1 said:
Have you been suffering from the "typical" 5th air issues? They have had a lot of unhappy customers with the airs. There are other options for you, but...

The coils have been (in my experience of having a coil and several close friends riding at least one bike with the air) more reliable. Two years ago the 5th element was the only game in town (for less than $600+), but now there are other options that fit the Blur.

If you just "want" to replace it (no real need) then I would say save your money. If you have been having issues with your air shock and are tired of sending it in and having seals blow, shafts die or any other issues then change shocks, but don't lock yourself into only one other choice.

Anyway, not a direct answer, however hopefully helpful.

K.
Hi, K:

it´s nice to talk to smbody who knows and knows how. Right between the eyes. I just "want" to change air by coil, not necessarily because of the air issues (not a lot or important), but just because I feel like doing it.
The final decision is air or coil, not only 5th. I mean that I wouldn´t mind to install a Romic or similar, but I want a coil sprung shock.
Look forward, K.

cristobal41 said:
Hi, K:

it´s nice to talk to smbody who knows and knows how. Right between the eyes. I just "want" to change air by coil, not necessarily because of the air issues (not a lot or important), but just because I feel like doing it.
The final decision is air or coil, not only 5th. I mean that I wouldn´t mind to install a Romic or similar, but I want a coil sprung shock.
Look forward, K.

I ride a blur with a 5th air. I just don't think the bike was made for coil and it will change the whole ride. TRy it and let me know.

MtnBikerChk said:
I ride a blur with a 5th air. I just don't think the bike was made for coil and it will change the whole ride. TRy it and let me know.
Hi, K:
5th or Romic? Any option? I want a "light" coil shock.
Thanks.

cristobal41 said:
Hi, K:
5th or Romic? Any option? I want a "light" coil shock.
Thanks.

If cost isn't an issue go with the Curnutt w/Ti spring. Not sure if they have one exactly for the blur, but they probably do. Never heard of a Romic on a Blur. 5th w/Ti spring is "reasonably" light. I've noticed when someone starts talking "light" and "coil" the price gets hella high hella quick. I'm not sure it's worth it, but it ain't my bike or wallet.

Curnutt w/Ti has the best (?) "wow" factor. Very pimp.

K.

ireman_1 said:
If cost isn't an issue go with the Curnutt w/Ti spring. Not sure if they have one exactly for the blur, but they probably do. Never heard of a Romic on a Blur. 5th w/Ti spring is "reasonably" light. I've noticed when someone starts talking "light" and "coil" the price gets hella high hella quick. I'm not sure it's worth it, but it ain't my bike or wallet.

Curnutt w/Ti has the best (?) "wow" factor. Very pimp.

K.
Hi, K:

I am afraid i will swap it. I will inform you. Thanks for your help and comments.

Talk 2 u soon.