Blur mud problems

Keith Walter

Guest
Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?

I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
solution. I'm also looking at the idea of creating a small guard to protect the front mech and
lower pivot.

Anyone else had similar problems and managed to solve them? I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

--
Uncle Keith

Get a derailleur boot or use a micro fender on GT i drive Z.

Fire up MTB 03

In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get a derailleur boot or use a micro fender on GT i drive Z.

The boot sounds like a good idea, but I might try making a micro guard first as it will protect the
bottom pivot as well.

--
Uncle Keith

Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<161120031224257398%[email protected]>...
> Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
>
> I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
> solution.<snip>

No, not a design flaw in a santa crud...

JD

"Keith Walter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:161120031224257398%[email protected]...
> Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
>
> I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
> solution. I'm also looking at the idea of creating a small guard to protect the front mech and
> lower pivot.
>
> Anyone else had similar problems and managed to solve them? I'd be interested to hear your ideas.
>
> --
> Uncle Keith

Can't say I've had problems, and I've ridden in some pretty thick stuff at races. Well, no more so
than on the ol' kaitai. Just throw a grunge boot on there for really nasty days.

Jon Bond

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?

Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear
pig problem.

Peace, Bill(I can't help myself)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared
pigs lie...

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
>
> Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
> problem.
>
> Peace, Bill(I can't help myself)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
> one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared
> pigs lie...

Fools?

Now Bill.................... play nice.

Marty

In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
>
> Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
> problem.

What ring sizes front & back do you run? It's something I've actually considered.

--
Uncle Keith

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:32:05 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
>>
>> Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
>> problem.
>>

>What ring sizes front & back do you run? It's something I've actually considered.

32t front 18t rear

I believe that's 1.77 : 1 ratio

Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...