Blur mud problems

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Keith Walter, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Keith Walter

    Keith Walter Guest

    Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?

    I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
    solution. I'm also looking at the idea of creating a small guard to protect the front mech and
    lower pivot.

    Anyone else had similar problems and managed to solve them? I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

    --
    Uncle Keith

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Get a derailleur boot or use a micro fender on GT i drive Z.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. Keith Walter

    Keith Walter Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Get a derailleur boot or use a micro fender on GT i drive Z.

    The boot sounds like a good idea, but I might try making a micro guard first as it will protect the
    bottom pivot as well.

    --
    Uncle Keith

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<161120031224257398%[email protected]>...
    > Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
    >
    > I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
    > solution.<snip>

    No, not a design flaw in a santa crud...

    JD

  5. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Keith Walter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:161120031224257398%[email protected]...
    > Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
    >
    > I fitted a top pull top swing mech and I'm wondering if bottom swing might have been a better
    > solution. I'm also looking at the idea of creating a small guard to protect the front mech and
    > lower pivot.
    >
    > Anyone else had similar problems and managed to solve them? I'd be interested to hear your ideas.
    >
    > --
    > Uncle Keith

    Can't say I've had problems, and I've ridden in some pretty thick stuff at races. Well, no more so
    than on the ol' kaitai. Just throw a grunge boot on there for really nasty days.

    Jon Bond

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?

    Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear
    pig problem.

    Peace, Bill(I can't help myself)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
    one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared
    pigs lie...

  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
    >
    > Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
    > problem.
    >
    > Peace, Bill(I can't help myself)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
    > one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared
    > pigs lie...

    Fools?

    Now Bill.................... play nice.

    Marty

  8. Keith Walter

    Keith Walter Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
    >
    > Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
    > problem.

    What ring sizes front & back do you run? It's something I've actually considered.

    --
    Uncle Keith

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:32:05 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:24:25 +0000, Keith Walter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Has anybody else had problems with mud clogging up the front mech on a Blur since winter set in?
    >>
    >> Yeah, I'm sure there are many fools that don't ride a SS with the same, damn, avoidable, gear pig
    >> problem.
    >>

    >What ring sizes front & back do you run? It's something I've actually considered.

    32t front 18t rear

    I believe that's 1.77 : 1 ratio

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...