BMC Bikes

danny shep

Jun 20, 2007
My local bike shop is a registered dealer for the BMC brand and as i am bowled over by what i have seen from their top end bikes can anyone tell me what they are like to ride and also any pros and cons they have noticed compared to other bikes of a similar price range.
Thanks

danny shep said:
My local bike shop is a registered dealer for the BMC brand and as i am bowled over by what i have seen from their top end bikes can anyone tell me what they are like to ride and also any pros and cons they have noticed compared to other bikes of a similar price range.
Thanks

You'll need to ride one to find the answer to that. Riders' perceptions of how a bike rides can be all over the map, with little correlation with the reality of the bike's performance metrics

Lots of guys on my team picked up BMCs when our shop sponsor started carrying them. I personally haven't ridden one, but they all seem very pleased with them.

Google BMC reviews. I believe that they tend to be very nice frames, that are quite responsive and stiff. If you are at the level of riding experience that you have no idea of what BMC frames are like (as opposed to all the salivating techno geeks on this forum who spend most waking hours riding/reading bike mags & internet forums) it may be a bit more than you bargained for.

Your question makes little sense. BMC bikes can be pro-level equipment, so you are talking about the merits vis-a-vis something like a Colnago Extreme C, or Ridley Helium, or any number of other pro-level bikes. They are all top notch but have different 'niches', and what you choose depends on your riding ability, your experience, how much you ride, how much you weigh, whether you race or not, and a thousand and one other factors.

In any event, as Alienator said,, ask for a test ride and see if you like it. And a test ride is not once around the parking lot!

I have a 2006 BMC SLT01 and to be honest i don't really like it. I could probably qualify that statement but what i don't like about them, you may actually like.

The most important thing to be aware of with these bikes is sizing! The sizing is very weird. I ride a 51cm but would ride a 55 or 56cm with most other manufacturers.

Not sure what your setup would be in terms of cranks but mine came with FSA Compact cranks. I persisted with them for 9 months and finally went and bought your standard Dura Ace Cranks. Made a huge difference.

They look nice though!

Saul said:
The most important thing to be aware of with these bikes is sizing! The sizing is very weird. I ride a 51cm but would ride a 55 or 56cm with most other manufacturers
- hi.

- I've heard the same thing being said of Pinarello frames , ie that the
sizing is nuts.

If you want a stiff BMC, buy an SL01, or at a stretch, SLT01. The late Phonak team said comething along the lines of the SL01 felt the stiffest, and they liked it better for racing than the SLC01. I can't find the story but someone'll have it. If you can, find an 05 SL01 in grey. They look the nicest, and if you want it in 54cm, dirtworks still have one (I think) that you could get for cheap.

Just to give an idea of the factors that were mentioned that play into the bike to choose:
My riding ability is massively improved over what it was when i bought my current hybrid bike around six months ago as i now ride thirty miles a day to and from work, forty miles on my training rides, and join my local cycling club on some weekend rides ranging between 60-100 miles. I weigh about 154 lbs and although i have never ridden a road bike before the cycling club has recommended i buy one if i want to keep improving and instead of buying a cheap beginners bike and then moving on to one of a more professional standard i thought i might as well go for the more expensive bike straight off as well as buying some lightweight wheels to train on and keep the fancy ones that come with the bike for any racing i might do in the future.
The bikes that have caught my eye are the Cannondale system six, the Colnago Extreme Power and the BMC Sl01 which i saw for the first time in the bike pics thread on this forum.

I'm a huge fan of BMC, I had two, a Team Machine (full Campy Record) and Road Racer, and just purchased a 2nd Team Machine (building up full dura-Ace). My other bike is a Trek 5200, and I just sold a Cervelo. That said.....it's my experience that frames are like saddles....it's a very individual choice. What I enjoy about the BMCs IS their stiffness (like very tight handling great sportscars). Others might find them too stiff or the handling too tight. The best advice anyone ever gave me is.....test ride it, then decide. I didn't follow that advice when I purchased a Cervelo Soloist. i was just so certain it was going to be a great bike. Well, it may be a great bike, but for ME, the geometry just never worked and I hated riding it.

Find some frames you like, then test ride all of them. You'll know when you ride the frame that works for you.

ff