BMC ProMachine

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
Saturday I walked into my local bike shop and ordered my BMC ProMachine !

Any other BMC-philes out there ? Let's start a threat, guys and gals!!!

Cheers from Luxembourg :)

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
gravelmuncher said:
Better make sure you can ride it fast before threatening anyone. :p

gm

Good one !

I must still be in a haze from the weekend...

So let's start a ThreaD before we start a ThreaT... and then we all get a treat :D

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
A few more details...

I ordered the SLC01 ProMachine in "naked carbon matte" finish... timeless ;)

I already expressed my desire to change from the standard Easton wheels to Bontrager X-Lite Aero. I fell in love with Bontragers on the crappy, pot-holed streets of Quebec (especially Montreal) when I was over there. My Bontragers stood the test of time and thousands of km without being un-trued.

I will also go with Bontrager carbon bottle cages :)

The group will be a 10 speed Shimano Dura-Ace with SLR PD-A520 pedals (I agree that the SLR PD-R540 would look better (since they're black) but I need to walk with my shoes too.

By the way I have a pair of Shimano Dura-Ace wheels as well that do not work with my 9-speed cassettes...so they will be the spare wheels for the ProMachine.

The rear cassette will be a 12-27 (the 27 for my mountain climbing adventures of the coming summer ... probably the Pyrenees).

My dealer talked me into Schwalbe tires that are puncture-proof. Since I love Specialized Armadillos I am sceptical but we'll see...

What else... Oh the handlebar wrap will be a Fizik with gel inserts...

Saddle... No contest: San Marco Concor light (in black of course).

Add a Polar 720 for the data and I will be all set...

The dealer told me that it could be as soon as 2 weeks before he gets it... but I'm not in that much of a hurry... I can live with the end of April as delivery date if necessary :)

Oh and I forgot... Ordered the bibs, jersey, windbreaker, socks, t-shirt and work shirt from BMC too... The dealer asked me about it and I said: "I will be true to the bike fom now on, not true to any of the professional teams... because I do not want to change outfits ever year (with a huuuuge grin)." That's not so far from the truth though... I have now 12 USPS / Discovery outfits at home (and I just got back on the bike in 2002 !) and I am sick and tired of changing them every season, he he he.

Will keep you posted on developments.

By the way, I am open for suggestions on what to call my bike. :D

melslur

Oct 31, 2005
lischoux said:
Trek 5200, Specialized Allez Comp Intl., Trek 1200, Corratec Glacier MTB ... and soon a BMC ProMachine Yeeehaaa!!!:)
Just curious - how do you find the Specialized Allez Comp Intl vis-a-vis the Trek 5200? I have the 2005 Comp Intl, and was looking at the 5200, but it was beyond my budget.

SlowestCat3

Mar 26, 2007
Just got a brand new 2006 SL01 frame from my LBS. It's sitting in my stand awaiting Campy... I was thinking of the new Vento wheels, too. Anyone seen or ridden these? I can't wait to get this thing built. It looks fast with just a stem and seatpost. :D

Go Bicycle Manufacturing Company! (could they be more generic?)

melslur said:
Just curious - how do you find the Specialized Allez Comp Intl vis-a-vis the Trek 5200? I have the 2005 Comp Intl, and was looking at the 5200, but it was beyond my budget.

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
melslur said:

Oh the 5200 is in another class entirely. I just loove the feeling of the full carbon frame and the very responsive handling. I like the 5200 for climbing, especially loooong climbs like the Mt. Ventoux last year.

Now the Comp "was" a great alrounder... I would say it was my everyday bike (come rain or dirt, the Comp was always at the ready... Then I hit an empty trashcan at 60 kph in a descent... and the frame is now badly bent. :mad: But the Specialized lives on on my trainer for now... At some point I may try to have a replacement frame or get an entire new frame and use the group and accessories from the Specialized.

lischoux

Feb 26, 2004
SlowestCat3 said:
Just got a brand new 2006 SL01 frame from my LBS. It's sitting in my stand awaiting Campy... I was thinking of the new Vento wheels, too. Anyone seen or ridden these? I can't wait to get this thing built. It looks fast with just a stem and seatpost. :D

I rode the SLC01 for the first time on Sunday.... A quick spin around the local hills with my girlfriend on the scooter next to me. We stopped and took tons of pics with me in full red BMC regalia and the black, carbon Promachine (who I will call RAPTOR from now on).

This bike loves to climb.... but I can thell you that it LOOOOOVES to descent too. Stiffer than my Trek 5200 but nevertheless very comfy to ride.

rdressen

Oct 9, 2006
rdressen said:
I've got one...best bike made!
53 cm BMC SLC01 naked carbon
Dura-Ace 10 speed group
Shimano compact crankset
Zipp contour bar 46cm (outside to outside)
Zipp 145 carbon stem 110mm
Easton EC90 SL-X fork
Easton EC90 seatpost
Fizik Arione saddle
Rolf Elan Aero wheels
Speedplay X-1 peddles
Shimano flight deck computer
x-lite carbon cages
Polar HR mount

total = 15.8 pounds with everthing listed above

sogood

Aug 24, 2006
rdressen said:
53 cm BMC SLC01 naked carbon
Polar HR mount

total = 15.8 pounds with everthing listed above
I sure hope so. Otherwise it would be one heck of a heavy frameset!!! :eek:

FriendlyFred

Jul 19, 2006
SlowestCat3 said:

I've got a Team Machine I'm building out with Campy Record/ Chorus and the Vento wheels with the Michelin ProRace tires. I have the Ventos on two other bikes...a Cervelo Soloist and A Cervelo Dual....and LOVE the wheels. They've stayed true through many of the bad road rides here in CT, are great to ride, and are great to look at. They are decent in the price range too, you can find them for under 215.00 for the pair. I'm going to buy one more pair to replace the stupid Bontrager Race Lite wheels on the Trek 5200. I HATE those wheels. Talk abouthigh maintenance. They go out of true if you look at them. More Ventos please :)

btw....the BMC is the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. My gosh, that top tube alone :) I can't wait to ride it.

FriendlyFred

Jul 19, 2006
tnroadman said:
i get a bmc Team Machine i love it i think team look better lol:)
I don't disagree. I don't care for the all black look on the ProMachine. I do love BMC bikes though, they're fantastic. I have two TeamMachines (one Campy one DuraAce) and a Road Racer and love them all. I'd like to ride a ProMachine to see if and how the ride differs from the TeamMachine and what exactly the differences are between the two, frame-wise.

Blopslee

Oct 9, 2007
hey - sorry to hijack the thread - I have a BMC team machine that I love but has what I hear is a typical rattle of the brake cable inside the top tube - you guys with team machines have this too??? what have you done about it - or do you just live with it?

thanks!