BMC street fire SSX Frame

how much? Under $1100?

I was also asking about this frame frecently, and a couple of people said that Easton Ultralite aluminium is light but not the strongest stuff going around. BUT(!!!!), this obviously doesn't take into account the apparently good design of the BMC tubing and geometry. I'm not sure it would be long-lasting for a very heavy, mashing rider, but then again, not much alu would.

there are 2 reviews here; one of which is for the current model, and I assume the other is for the older model, made from different aluminium.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/bmc/PRD_321465_5668crx.aspx

the best part is that it comes with a $500 fork!!

531Aussie said:
how much? Under $1100?

I was also asking about this frame frecently, and a couple of people said that Easton Ultralite aluminium is light but not the strongest stuff going around. BUT(!!!!), this obviously doesn't take into account the apparently good design of the BMC tubing and geometry. I'm not sure it would be long-lasting for a very heavy, mashing rider, but then again, not much alu would.

there are 2 reviews here; one of which is for the current model, and I assume the other is for the older model, made from different aluminium.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/bmc/PRD_321465_5668crx.aspx

the best part is that it comes with a $500 fork!!
For R7500 South African rand which is about $1070 US

phazer said:
For R7500 South African rand which is about $1070 US
sorry, I thought for a minute i was on the Aus/NZ forum

they sell in the US for about $750!! Don't cha just hate the way every other country gets ripped off on bike prices??!!!:)

One guy on this "BMC" discussion actually complains that the Street Fire is expensive, at $725 US!! http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=213267

i just got one and i love it, no problems yet. I have never even seen a BMC other then mine, it gets lots of compliments. my previous frame was an aluminum jamis with carbon stays, this feels just as nice. It's also a little lighter. it's around 1400 grams which isnt too bad.

IEatRice4Dinner said:
i just got one and i love it, no problems yet. I have never even seen a BMC other then mine, it gets lots of compliments. my previous frame was an aluminum jamis with carbon stays, this feels just as nice. It's also a little lighter. it's around 1400 grams which isnt too bad.
How do you find the frame stiffness wise?

jeez, you've got me thinking about one now :)

The 565mm effective top tube would suit me, as would the (relatively large) 175mm head tube.

I've gotta say, the pictures don't do them justice. There's one in a shop near my house, and it looks FANTASTIC!!!

531Aussie said:
jeez, you've got me thinking about one now :)

The 565mm effective top tube would suit me, as would the (relatively large) 175mm head tube.

I've gotta say, the pictures don't do them justice. There's one in a shop near my house, and it looks FANTASTIC!!!
They looks amazing in real live, would love to take one for a test ride, prob is the LBS's around here only sell them as framesets so it's hard to find a built up one to test ride.

mine is stiff but not too harsh i ride the 44c-t (smallest size)so it's probably going to be a bit stiffer the smaller it is, if you go with a bmc you will probably be happy with it. ill host a pic i love the way it looks...

only one i got
118_1871.jpg

hmmmm.....I just got a good price from my local shop, which was VERY good for a brand-name import to Australia.

Aaaaah...i guess dreaming about new toys is one way to get through the day :)

531Aussie said:
hmmmm.....I just got a good price from my local shop, which was VERY good for a brand-name import to Australia.

Aaaaah...i guess dreaming about new toys is one way to get through the day :)

Is your LBS, Bike Pro in Surrey Hills.

kleng said:
Is your LBS, Bike Pro in Surrey Hills.
no, Bicycle Recycle, Moorabbin

the rec retail on the BMC pamphlet is $1190 for the frame-set, and I was quoted a little bit better than that. I was once quoted $600 for an EC90 fork, and this comes with an EC70, which I guess would be well over $300. Easton stuff is expensive around here.

It's usually closer to a minimum of $1400 for any brand-name aluminium import.

Do you know anything about all the De Rosas at ACR? They've had those frames for years, and even the all-alu De Rosa Vision frame is discounted to $1800! As far as I know, they're Dedacciai 7003 alu, which is nothing special.
The last time I was there I counted 25 De Rosas. I have a 'shop soiled' Taiwanese Dedacciai 7003 frame (it could be a Norco) which cost me 300 bucks, and rides fine!

531Aussie said:
no, Bicycle Recycle, Moorabbin

the rec retail on the BMC pamphlet is $1190 for the frame-set, and I was quoted a little bit better than that. I was once quoted $600 for an EC90 fork, and this comes with an EC70, which I guess would be well over $300. Easton stuff is expensive around here.

It's usually closer to a minimum of $1400 for any brand-name aluminium import.

Do you know anything about all the De Rosas at ACR? They've had those frames for years, and even the all-alu De Rosa Vision frame is discounted to $1800! As far as I know, they're Dedacciai 7003 alu, which is nothing special.
The last time I was there I counted 25 De Rosas. I have a 'shop soiled' Taiwanese Dedacciai 7003 frame (it could be a Norco) which cost me 300 bucks, and rides fine!
I've been to ACR and always wondered who would buy those DE Rosa's in there as most don't really seem up to the quality of other De Rosa's I've seen, there is just something about them . I like the Orbea Orca's though, which is about the only current thing in the shop.
My favorite shop for bike candy is SHM in the city, but I would'nt buy from them due to the cost. I reckon if you we looking ALU in Australia it would have to be Bianchi for the high end FG lite or do what you have done and got a well researched unbranded frame.

kleng said:
I've been to ACR.......
it's definitely a sexy shop -- I really fancy the Cioccs, too. :) I've had my eye on that dark blue De Rosa Vision hanging up on the wall. What year do you reckon they are? I was speaking to a former employee of ACR who said the frames were on consignment, so i guess that means they're less likely to cut a deal.

My favourite sexy shops on this side of town are SBR, Fitzroy Cycles and Richmond Cyclery. I ofter drive past SBR on the way home from the city after a night out :) Pathetic, hey? :p

Did you know that Pro-Motion has re-opened as pretty much a Giant-only store?
Couldn't believe it!

531Aussie said:
it's definitely a sexy shop -- I really fancy the Cioccs, too. :) I've had my eye on that dark blue De Rosa Vision hanging up on the wall. What year do you reckon they are? I was speaking to a former employee of ACR who said the frames were on consignment, so i guess that means they're less likely to cut a deal.

My favourite sexy shops on this side of town are SBR, Fitzroy Cycles and Richmond Cyclery. I ofter drive past SBR on the way home from the city after a night out :) Pathetic, hey? :p

Did you know that Pro-Motion has re-opened as pretty much a Giant-only store?
Couldn't believe it!

531, sorry to disappoint you but I'm a Giant rider, all my bikes are Giant carbon fibre, for me their good value for money. I'd like to have a Colnago extreme C but the finance manager (the wife) won't approve the loan. Don't hold it against me but I'm riding a Giant TCR Advanced Team at the moment.

Have you seen this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/De-Rosa-56-cm-Road-Bike-Italian_W0QQitemZ250011892871QQihZ015QQcategoryZ7298QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think you could get a good deal with ACR on the Vision, I'd go in an offer them a price and then see if they negotiate, if you don't like the price then walk out. I don't think they sold many, I go in once a month and the stock never seems to change in the De Rosa area.

This page mentions the Vision frame as around 2003-4 vintage.

http://www.derosanews.com/derosa/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=592&forum=5

kleng said:
thanks for the links.:)

I haven't got anything against Giants -- although I must admit their ubiquity puts me off riding one a little (doesn't mean I wouldn't ride a free one :p -- it's just that I was so surprised to see a shop turn into what appears to be a 'one brand only' store. I've never seen that before. Is that the way of the future?

531Aussie said:
well, I've just ordered one, and it's mostly your fault :)

approx $750 US is a good price down here for frame-set that's a brand name import with an Easton EC70 fork, EC50 post, and some kinda headset
Haha...congrats and enjoy the frame!