BMW Hybrid Car Can Run On Both Hydrogen And Gasoline

rvz1fqp4

Guest
According to available facts, the BMW hybrid car is a hydrogen car
though not quite the same as other cars running on hydrogen fuels made
by other manufacturers. Yet the BMW hybrid car is no slouch and it has
the distinction of having set as many as nine land speed records as
far as hydrogen powered vehicles is concerned. There are many
interesting specifications pertaining to the BMW hybrid car including
the absolute top end V12 six liter gasoline engine that has had
certain modifications done to it in order for it to run with both
gasoline and also hydrogen and all that it requires to do so is to
flip a switch. Discount Auto Parts http://www.behot.us

> According to available facts, the BMW hybrid car is a hydrogen car
> though not quite the same as other cars running on hydrogen fuels made
> by other manufacturers. Yet the BMW hybrid car is no slouch and it has
> the distinction of having set as many as nine land speed records as
> far as hydrogen powered vehicles is concerned. There are many
> interesting specifications pertaining to the BMW hybrid car including
> the absolute top end V12 six liter gasoline engine that has had
> certain modifications done to it in order for it to run with both
> gasoline and also hydrogen and all that it requires to do so is to
> flip a switch.

They've been doing hydrogen at BMW since the early 80s. Most of the
roads cars have been seven series as the big boot makes room for the
hydrogen tank. They currently have a fleet of 760iL's (6.0 V12s!)
running from Munich airport as limos. I think BMW built about 4 or 5
hydrogen filling stations around Munich. The cars are dual fuel.

Thing is what generates the hydrogen in the first place? If you use
renewable or nuclear energy to produce it that's fine, but we don't have
enough of all that to begin with.

The good thing about hydrogen is that you don't need a car with loads of
heavy and expensive batteries which will cause recycling issues down the
line. You also get the same performance and driving pleasure as a petrol
engine. I suspect this is why BMW prefer it.

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

"John Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> According to available facts, the BMW hybrid car is a hydrogen car
>> though not quite the same as other cars running on hydrogen fuels made
>> by other manufacturers. Yet the BMW hybrid car is no slouch and it has
>> the distinction of having set as many as nine land speed records as
>> far as hydrogen powered vehicles is concerned. There are many
>> interesting specifications pertaining to the BMW hybrid car including
>> the absolute top end V12 six liter gasoline engine that has had
>> certain modifications done to it in order for it to run with both
>> gasoline and also hydrogen and all that it requires to do so is to
>> flip a switch.

> They've been doing hydrogen at BMW since the early 80s. Most of the
> roads cars have been seven series as the big boot makes room for the
> hydrogen tank. They currently have a fleet of 760iL's (6.0 V12s!)
> running from Munich airport as limos. I think BMW built about 4 or 5
> hydrogen filling stations around Munich. The cars are dual fuel.
>
> Thing is what generates the hydrogen in the first place? If you use
> renewable or nuclear energy to produce it that's fine, but we don't have
> enough of all that to begin with.
>
> The good thing about hydrogen is that you don't need a car with loads of
> heavy and expensive batteries which will cause recycling issues down the
> line. You also get the same performance and driving pleasure as a petrol
> engine. I suspect this is why BMW prefer it.

As far as power assisted bicycles go, the Swizzbee here
http://www.swizzbee.com/swizzbee.php4?lang=english&site=newtech appears to
offer a hydrogen powered version (useful for extending the range beyond what
the normal battery version will do). Research about Hydrogen powered
vehicles has found there are lots of downsides with few benefits to this
fuel though. Just a few are the horrendous fuel cost, lack of filling
stations in most places, danger associated with having this pressurised tank
full of extremely flammable fuel (especially between your legs on a
bicycle!!!) and the fact that (as already mentioned) most hydrogen is made
from a process reliant of fossil fuels (at least here in the UK). so what's
the point?

Personally, if I had the money to buy something like a H2 powered Swizzbee
(they're not cheap even in the 'basic' form), and wanted a longer range
version, I'd put the money into a secondary (spare) battery (comparatively
light weight Li Ion Poly is now an option for them) and a solar foldable
charger similar to one of these:
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/military/foldables/60wtechdata.html

Paul

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Research about Hydrogen powered
> vehicles has found there are lots of downsides with few benefits to this
> fuel though. Just a few are the horrendous fuel cost, lack of filling
> stations in most places, danger associated with having this pressurised tank
> full of extremely flammable fuel (especially between your legs on a
> bicycle!!!) and the fact that (as already mentioned) most hydrogen is made
> from a process reliant of fossil fuels (at least here in the UK). so what's
> the point?

Not quite true. Most hydrogen storage is envisaged not as a high
pressure combustible gas cylinder but held in a solid hydride alloy.
The point about it needing some other energy source to generate the
hydrogen is true though although its easier to put CO2 scrubbers on
every fossil fuelled power plant than on every fossil fueled vehicle and
it is the sort of activity that can take place using off-peak power from
renewable sources such as tidal or wind.

The lack of filling stations is irrelevant. Like autogas, if there is a
demand for it, they will install the pumps.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>> Research about Hydrogen powered
>> vehicles has found there are lots of downsides with few benefits to this
>> fuel though. Just a few are the horrendous fuel cost, lack of filling
>> stations in most places, danger associated with having this pressurised
>> tank full of extremely flammable fuel (especially between your legs on a
>> bicycle!!!) and the fact that (as already mentioned) most hydrogen is
>> made from a process reliant of fossil fuels (at least here in the UK).
>> so what's the point?
>>

> Not quite true. Most hydrogen storage is envisaged not as a high
> pressure combustible gas cylinder but held in a solid hydride alloy.
> The point about it needing some other energy source to generate the
> hydrogen is true though although its easier to put CO2 scrubbers on
> every fossil fuelled power plant than on every fossil fueled vehicle and
> it is the sort of activity that can take place using off-peak power from
> renewable sources such as tidal or wind.

Which is more to the point.

Iceland has masses of geothermal energy. Mauretania, West Sahara, Morocco,
Algeria and Egypt all have masses of solar energy. Nearer to home the
Western Isles have masses of wind, wave and tidal energy. All these energy
sources are plentiful, reliable, close to salt water, and very far from
markets. Solution: electrolise seawater into oxygen and hydrogen, probably
vent the oxygen to the atmosphere, convert the hydrogen into solid and
ship it to market. Carbon neutral and achievable with current technology.

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...
>>>
>>> Research about Hydrogen powered
>>> vehicles has found there are lots of downsides with few benefits to this
>>> fuel though. Just a few are the horrendous fuel cost, lack of filling
>>> stations in most places, danger associated with having this pressurised
>>> tank full of extremely flammable fuel (especially between your legs on a
>>> bicycle!!!) and the fact that (as already mentioned) most hydrogen is
>>> made from a process reliant of fossil fuels (at least here in the UK).
>>> so what's the point?
>>>

>> Not quite true. Most hydrogen storage is envisaged not as a high
>> pressure combustible gas cylinder but held in a solid hydride alloy.
>> The point about it needing some other energy source to generate the
>> hydrogen is true though although its easier to put CO2 scrubbers on
>> every fossil fuelled power plant than on every fossil fueled vehicle and
>> it is the sort of activity that can take place using off-peak power from
>> renewable sources such as tidal or wind.

> Which is more to the point.
>
> Iceland has masses of geothermal energy. Mauretania, West Sahara, Morocco,
> Algeria and Egypt all have masses of solar energy. Nearer to home the
> Western Isles have masses of wind, wave and tidal energy. All these energy
> sources are plentiful, reliable, close to salt water, and very far from
> markets. Solution: electrolise seawater into oxygen and hydrogen, probably
> vent the oxygen to the atmosphere, convert the hydrogen into solid and
> ship it to market. Carbon neutral and achievable with current technology.

Perhaps one day we will be able to replicate photosynthesis. Take CO2 and
water and convert it into carbohydrates which can then be used as a fuel.

> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...
>>>
>>> Research about Hydrogen powered
>>> vehicles has found there are lots of downsides with few benefits to this
>>> fuel though. Just a few are the horrendous fuel cost, lack of filling
>>> stations in most places, danger associated with having this pressurised
>>> tank full of extremely flammable fuel (especially between your legs on a
>>> bicycle!!!) and the fact that (as already mentioned) most hydrogen is
>>> made from a process reliant of fossil fuels (at least here in the UK).
>>> so what's the point?
>>>

>> Not quite true. Most hydrogen storage is envisaged not as a high
>> pressure combustible gas cylinder but held in a solid hydride alloy.
>> The point about it needing some other energy source to generate the
>> hydrogen is true though although its easier to put CO2 scrubbers on
>> every fossil fuelled power plant than on every fossil fueled vehicle and
>> it is the sort of activity that can take place using off-peak power from
>> renewable sources such as tidal or wind.

> Which is more to the point.
>
> Iceland has masses of geothermal energy. Mauretania, West Sahara, Morocco,
> Algeria and Egypt all have masses of solar energy. Nearer to home the
> Western Isles have masses of wind, wave and tidal energy. All these energy
> sources are plentiful, reliable, close to salt water, and very far from
> markets. Solution: electrolise seawater into oxygen and hydrogen, probably
> vent the oxygen to the atmosphere, convert the hydrogen into solid and
> ship it to market. Carbon neutral and achievable with current technology.

And New Zealand has an abundance of hydro-electricity but that doesn't mean
using electricity here has the same impact on the planet as using it there
(or Iceland etc). Similarly it doesn't mean all our hydrogen supplies will
come from those countries. FWIW the article I read about hydrogen powered
electric assisted bikes mentioned a spherical storage pressure vessel which
couldn't contain the gas 100 % as the hydrogen atoms were so small they
seeped through the vessel wall over time. Now they may not all be like this
(especially what BMW have come up with) but those two points alone are
enough to put me off.

Given the current state of pure battery powered cars (e.g. over 200 mile
range and 0 - 60 mph in about 4 seconds - check Google for examples),
they're no longer the slow dinosaurs of yesteryear (or indeed like one
common current model featured on TV not long ago). I therefore see little
point in going through the extra step of converting the electricity (with
water) into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

Don't swear at me like that ;-)

Paul

in message <[email protected]>, Paul Murphy
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Iceland has masses of geothermal energy. Mauretania, West Sahara,
>> Morocco, Algeria and Egypt all have masses of solar energy. Nearer to
>> home the Western Isles have masses of wind, wave and tidal energy. All
>> these energy sources are plentiful, reliable, close to salt water, and
>> very far from markets. Solution: electrolise seawater into oxygen and
>> hydrogen, probably vent the oxygen to the atmosphere, convert the
>> hydrogen into solid and ship it to market. Carbon neutral and achievable
>> with current technology.

> And New Zealand has an abundance of hydro-electricity but that doesn't
> mean using electricity here has the same impact on the planet as using it
> there (or Iceland etc). Similarly it doesn't mean all our hydrogen
> supplies will come from those countries. FWIW the article I read about
> hydrogen powered electric assisted bikes mentioned a spherical storage
> pressure vessel which couldn't contain the gas 100 % as the hydrogen
> atoms were so small they seeped through the vessel wall over time. Now
> they may not all be like this (especially what BMW have come up with) but
> those two points alone are enough to put me off.

Well, you're not thinking, then. Hydrogen in the air simply oxidises into
water (dihydrogen monoxide, to you). The potential problem I see with
large scale electrolysis is whether you will get localised area of oxygen
enrichment, and whether that will be sufficient to cause environmental
damage. The amount of localised oxygen depletion caused by burning the
hydrogen will be no more per unit energy produced than the oxygen
depletion we currently cause by burning carbon, and that isn't apparently
hurting us.

> Given the current state of pure battery powered cars (e.g. over 200 mile
> range and 0 - 60 mph in about 4 seconds - check Google for examples),
> they're no longer the slow dinosaurs of yesteryear (or indeed like one
> common current model featured on TV not long ago). I therefore see little
> point in going through the extra step of converting the electricity (with
> water) into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

The electricity in the batteries has to come from somewhere. Long distance
transmission lines are inefficient. Burning fossil fuel in power stations
is only marginally less damaging than burning it in cars, and nuclear
energy leaves us with vast quantities of toxic waste which we have no idea
how to make safe.

So if there is enough efficiently capturable renewable in the vicinity of
your city to power all the cars, by all means use batteries. For the rest
of us, though, I think that hydrogen is promissing.

>> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>>
>> ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

> Don't swear at me like that ;-)

;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
;; Then they came for the gypsies,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

> in message <[email protected]>, Paul Murphy
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Iceland has masses of geothermal energy. Mauretania, West Sahara,
>>> Morocco, Algeria and Egypt all have masses of solar energy. Nearer to
>>> home the Western Isles have masses of wind, wave and tidal energy. All
>>> these energy sources are plentiful, reliable, close to salt water, and
>>> very far from markets. Solution: electrolise seawater into oxygen and
>>> hydrogen, probably vent the oxygen to the atmosphere, convert the
>>> hydrogen into solid and ship it to market. Carbon neutral and achievable
>>> with current technology.

>> And New Zealand has an abundance of hydro-electricity but that doesn't
>> mean using electricity here has the same impact on the planet as using it
>> there (or Iceland etc). Similarly it doesn't mean all our hydrogen
>> supplies will come from those countries. FWIW the article I read about
>> hydrogen powered electric assisted bikes mentioned a spherical storage
>> pressure vessel which couldn't contain the gas 100 % as the hydrogen
>> atoms were so small they seeped through the vessel wall over time. Now
>> they may not all be like this (especially what BMW have come up with) but
>> those two points alone are enough to put me off.

> Well, you're not thinking, then. Hydrogen in the air simply oxidises into
> water (dihydrogen monoxide, to you). The potential problem I see with
> large scale electrolysis is whether you will get localised area of oxygen
> enrichment, and whether that will be sufficient to cause environmental
> damage. The amount of localised oxygen depletion caused by burning the
> hydrogen will be no more per unit energy produced than the oxygen
> depletion we currently cause by burning carbon, and that isn't apparently
> hurting us.

If you're saying electrolysis isn't a totally environmentally clean way of
producing hydrogen we agree. A major concern is how clean the generation
process for the electricity used is ie whether 'green' sources such as
hydro-electric, wind or solar etc are used or other forms. Battery
manufacture isn't an environmentally clean process either but at least once
they're made and are in use, they don't emit much into the atmosphere.
Although there's the chemicals left over to recycle when the battery finally
expires, they can be recycled and some electric bike suppliers offer a
rebate on the price of a new battery if the old one is returned for
recycling.

>> Given the current state of pure battery powered cars (e.g. over 200 mile
>> range and 0 - 60 mph in about 4 seconds - check Google for examples),
>> they're no longer the slow dinosaurs of yesteryear (or indeed like one
>> common current model featured on TV not long ago). I therefore see little
>> point in going through the extra step of converting the electricity (with
>> water) into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

> The electricity in the batteries has to come from somewhere. Long distance
> transmission lines are inefficient.

If hydro-electric generation is used (for example) then more water goes
through the turbines and more power is generated to compensate for this, so
what? The heat from the cables will warm the environment a miniscule amount
but that's hardly a problem (compared to other sources of environmental
warming). If the power is generated by burning fossil fuels though, then
this does lead to more polution. The key point is the method of generation
chosen.

> The Burning fossil fuel in power stations
> is only marginally less damaging than burning it in cars, and nuclear
> energy leaves us with vast quantities of toxic waste which we have no idea
> how to make safe.
>
> So if there is enough efficiently capturable renewable in the vicinity of
> your city to power all the cars, by all means use batteries. For the rest
> of us, though, I think that hydrogen is promissing.

But that hydrogen is reliant on electricity for it's production, the same
electricity which could more directly be powering the cars or bikes with
batteries instead. Hydrogen is an inefficient, expensive path to go down. It
has the support of some because they see the water produced as a by-product
of combustion as being a clean outcome but that doesn't take into account
all that happens to get the hydrogen to that point in the first place. If
you don't believe me, watch this documentary:(the local DVD/Video
store/Library may stock it) http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/ It
changed my mind on the subject!

>>> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>>>
>>> ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

>> Don't swear at me like that ;-)

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Hmmm...2 pounds...

Paul

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> If hydro-electric generation is used (for example) then more water goes
> through the turbines and more power is generated to compensate for this, so
> what?

Hydroelectric power has emissions problems too so the more water you use
the more problems you create. Manufacturing cement (to construct the
dams) is a significant source of CO2 and the anaerobic decomposition of
plant matter washed into the reservoir can be a significant converter of
absorbed atmospheric CO2 into atmospheric CH4 (which is a 20 times more
potent greenhouse gas) when the water is depressurised through the
turbines. Hydroelectric schemes particularly in tropical and northern
regions can emit much more CO2 equivalent than a fossil fuel power
plant. Being superficially green is easy - knowing what is really
happening is rather more tricky as biodiesel is starting to find out.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046.html

--

('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Paul Murphy
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> And New Zealand has an abundance of hydro-electricity but that doesn't
>>> mean using electricity here has the same impact on the planet as using
>>> it there (or Iceland etc). Similarly it doesn't mean all our hydrogen
>>> supplies will come from those countries. FWIW the article I read about
>>> hydrogen powered electric assisted bikes mentioned a spherical storage
>>> pressure vessel which couldn't contain the gas 100 % as the hydrogen
>>> atoms were so small they seeped through the vessel wall over time. Now
>>> they may not all be like this (especially what BMW have come up with)
>>> but those two points alone are enough to put me off.

>> Well, you're not thinking, then. Hydrogen in the air simply oxidises
>> into water (dihydrogen monoxide, to you). The potential problem I see
>> with large scale electrolysis is whether you will get localised area of
>> oxygen enrichment, and whether that will be sufficient to cause
>> environmental damage. The amount of localised oxygen depletion caused by
>> burning the hydrogen will be no more per unit energy produced than the
>> oxygen depletion we currently cause by burning carbon, and that isn't
>> apparently hurting us.

> If you're saying electrolysis isn't a totally environmentally clean way
> of producing hydrogen we agree.

Barring localised elevated concentrations of oxygen, I don't see any other
environmental damage inherently caused by large scale electrolysis.
Whether oxygen levels would be sufficiently elevated to cause damage I
don't know. What environmental damage do you see as a consequence of large
scale electrolysis?

> A major concern is how clean the
> generation process for the electricity used is ie whether 'green' sources
> such as hydro-electric, wind or solar etc are used or other forms.

Exactly, which is why this makes economic sense in places like Western
Sahara and Iceland where there is plentiful cheap clean energy and access
to sea water.

>> The electricity in the batteries has to come from somewhere. Long
>> distance transmission lines are inefficient.

> If hydro-electric generation is used (for example) then more water goes
> through the turbines and more power is generated to compensate for this,
> so what? The heat from the cables will warm the environment a miniscule
> amount but that's hardly a problem (compared to other sources of
> environmental warming).

Indeed. But there comes a point where converting the electrical energy to
energy in another form (in this case chemical) and shipping that chemical
energy is more efficient - less cost and less total loss through
inefficiencies. That's all I'm saying.

> But that hydrogen is reliant on electricity for it's production, the same
> electricity which could more directly be powering the cars or bikes with
> batteries instead.

Except that there aren't (on the whole) large numbers of cars and bikes in
places where clean energy is cheaply available, and clean energy isn't (on
the whole) cheaply available in the places where there are large numbers
of cars and bikes. So we need the most efficient possible means of getting
it from the one place to the other, and over longer distances transmission
lines aren't efficient.

> Hydrogen is an inefficient, expensive path to go down.

Yes, I know. Just less expensive and less inefficient than any others of
which I'm aware.

;; better than your average performing pineapple

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>

>> If hydro-electric generation is used (for example) then more water goes
>> through the turbines and more power is generated to compensate for this,
>> so
>> what?

> Hydroelectric power has emissions problems too so the more water you use
> the more problems you create. Manufacturing cement (to construct the
> dams) is a significant source of CO2

That's a one off though, otherwise you could say any electricity generation
has "emission problems" due to the chemicals used/gases produced in the
manufacture of all the copper wiring/components etc I'd be surprised if the
environmental effects of constructing and using a well managed hydroelectric
dam over its useful period in service (and 50 - 100 years is common) were
anything other than tiny by comparison to the effects of a hydrogen
production plant AND it's typical energy source used to create enough gas to
power a similar number of cars as the dam could power more directly.

> and the anaerobic decomposition of
> plant matter washed into the reservoir can be a significant converter of
> absorbed atmospheric CO2 into atmospheric CH4 (which is a 20 times more
> potent greenhouse gas) when the water is depressurised through the
> turbines. Hydroelectric schemes particularly in tropical and northern
> regions can emit much more CO2 equivalent than a fossil fuel power
> plant.

That would depend on how well they're managed with regards to minimal rise
and fall of the reservoir water level and avoiding plant growth on the
banks. Also designs having steep banks on the reservoir and outflow would
minimise that.

>.Being superficially green is easy - knowing what is really
> happening is rather more tricky as biodiesel is starting to find out.
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046.html

That's exactly the description I think of with regards to hydrogen powered
vehicles, people imagining they can drive around all day and thinking all
that's produced is water vapour. Although the article makes sense I see it
as a sensationalist gathering of worst case scenarios. If that's supposed to
be typical of most modern hydro sites, in the words of Victor Meldrew, I
don't believe it.

Paul

> in message <[email protected]>, Paul Murphy
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

<snip>

>> If you're saying electrolysis isn't a totally environmentally clean way
>> of producing hydrogen we agree.

> Barring localised elevated concentrations of oxygen, I don't see any other
> environmental damage inherently caused by large scale electrolysis.
> Whether oxygen levels would be sufficiently elevated to cause damage I
> don't know. What environmental damage do you see as a consequence of large
> scale electrolysis?

As below where does the electricity used in it's production come from and if
it is from a 'green' source can it be used to replace other non green power
plants instead?

>> A major concern is how clean the
>> generation process for the electricity used is ie whether 'green' sources
>> such as hydro-electric, wind or solar etc are used or other forms.

> Exactly, which is why this makes economic sense in places like Western
> Sahara and Iceland where there is plentiful cheap clean energy and access
> to sea water.

But you're missing the point that by converting the power (and water) into
hydrogen, it's an extra unnecesary step. Sure there's minimal change to the
design of the cars and i/c engines can still be used (what could the
automakers possibly think of that...) but why not use the electricity more
directly? Do those locations you mentioned earlier use electric trains,
trams and trolley busses extensively for public transport? Although there
may not be much demand at the actual source of generation, power
transmission grids can cover huge distances. A limiting factor would be the
cost of the transmission network, which in a dessert would be very high, but
then so would the cost of providing and maintaining roads to any sort of
energy production plant and the cost of hauling the chemicals produced.

>>> The electricity in the batteries has to come from somewhere. Long
>>> distance transmission lines are inefficient.

If done right it's still feasable, have a read of this:
http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/li...ong-distance-transmission-systems/index.shtml

>> If hydro-electric generation is used (for example) then more water goes
>> through the turbines and more power is generated to compensate for this,
>> so what? The heat from the cables will warm the environment a miniscule
>> amount but that's hardly a problem (compared to other sources of
>> environmental warming).

> Indeed. But there comes a point where converting the electrical energy to
> energy in another form (in this case chemical) and shipping that chemical
> energy is more efficient - less cost and less total loss through
> inefficiencies. That's all I'm saying.

I agree but given the cost of long distance electricity transmission can be
competitive up to huge distances as linked to above, where is the cutoff
point? In Russia they have at least one 1.2 MV transmission distance over
1000 miles from source to user. Crossing sandy desserts may be a problem for
electricity distribution but its also a problem for roading and hauling any
chemicals produced.

>> But that hydrogen is reliant on electricity for it's production, the same
>> electricity which could more directly be powering the cars or bikes with
>> batteries instead.

> Except that there aren't (on the whole) large numbers of cars and bikes in
> places where clean energy is cheaply available, and clean energy isn't (on
> the whole) cheaply available in the places where there are large numbers
> of cars and bikes. So we need the most efficient possible means of getting
> it from the one place to the other, and over longer distances transmission
> lines aren't efficient.

As the distance rises, so does the cost and electrical losses but as above
distance is not the only influencing factor. You're spot on with the cars
bikes line. Electric Assisted Bicycle sales in China were halted because it
was feared that charging their batteries was placing to much of a burdon on
their national grid (electric bikes are extremely popular over there) but I
doubt if that was the best thing to do looking at the big picture (more
people buying cars instead etc etc).

>> Hydrogen is an inefficient, expensive path to go down.

> Yes, I know. Just less expensive and less inefficient than any others of
> which I'm aware.

Thats where we disagree. Hydrogen fuel is several times (I cant remember the
specific multiple) the cost of petrol to power a similar car a given
distance and the electricity to power pure electric cars (not hybrids) costs
a tiny fraction the price of petrol for a given distance - it seems clear to
me.

('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Hydroelectric power has emissions problems too so the more water you use
>> the more problems you create.  Manufacturing cement (to construct the
>> dams) is a significant source of CO2

> That's a one off though, otherwise you could say any electricity
> generation has "emission problems" due to the chemicals used/gases
> produced in the manufacture of all the copper wiring/components etc I'd
> be surprised if the environmental effects of constructing and using a
> well managed hydroelectric dam over its useful period in service (and 50
> - 100 years is common) were anything other than tiny by comparison to the
> effects of a hydrogen production plant AND it's typical energy source
> used to create enough gas to power a similar number of cars as the dam
> could power more directly.

I think you're missing several points here. Electrolysis itself splits pure
water into hydrogen and oxygen - and nothing else; there's nothing left
over to pollute, unless both

(a) you are venting the oxygen to the atmosphere and
(b) areas of very slightly evelated oxygen concentration are problematic in
themselves[1].

In practice, of course, you'll electrolyse sea water, both because the salt
in the water acts as an electrolyte and makes the process more efficient,
and because without access to the sea it becomes uneconomic to ship out
the hydrogen fuel product. So there will be something left over: salt,
just like the salt in the salt shaker on your table. The salt can either
be sold as a by-product or returned to the sea. This will not increase the
salinity of the sea because when the hydrogen is burned it oxidises into
pure water which will cycle back into the sea.

So if the power for the electrolysis comes, as I suggested, from
geothermal, wave or solar power, there is literally no part in the process
which causes any pollution at all (although, of course, as Tony points
out, construction of the plant will inevitably cause some pollution).

[1] similar areas of slightly elevated oxygen levels exist in all forests;
and equivalent areas of slightly depleted oxygen levels exist in all
cities. Neither appear in themselves problematic.

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Paul Murphy
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>>>
>>> If you're saying electrolysis isn't a totally environmentally clean way
>>> of producing hydrogen we agree.

>> Barring localised elevated concentrations of oxygen, I don't see any
>> other environmental damage inherently caused by large scale
>> electrolysis. Whether oxygen levels would be sufficiently elevated to
>> cause damage I don't know. What environmental damage do you see as a
>> consequence of large scale electrolysis?

> As below where does the electricity used in it's production come from and
> if it is from a 'green' source can it be used to replace other non green
> power plants instead?

Look, for the last time: the Earth has concentrations of freely available
renewable energy. Most of those concentrations are unfeasibly distant from
current centres of population to allow electricity transmission to be
efficient.

Britain - and continental Europe - have virtually no economically available
geothermal energy. We have quite limited available solar energy. We have
masses of wind, wave and tidal energy, but the most efficient places to
exploit it are far from the mainland making transmission problematic.

Where you have exploitable 'green' energy close to centres of population,
of course electrolysis doesn't make sense. Of course transmission and
battery storage make more sense. But by and large we don't have anything
like sufficient exploitable 'green' energy close to centres of population,
so we need ways to move 'green' energy from places where it can be cheaply
and efficiently produced, to places where it's in demand. Hydrogen looks
like being the most efficient available way to do it. That's all.

As with so many other things in life, one size does not fit all. I'm not
suggesting that everyone could or should use hydrogen fuels (my personal
preference is for us all to be more energy efficient and use less fuel of
any kind). But I'm suggesting that for many people, hydrogen offers an
efficient means of moving 'green' energy from where it can be produced to
where they are.

Or are you really planning to connect Iceland to the British national grid
by means of pylons across the North Atlantic?

>> Exactly, which is why this makes economic sense in places like Western
>> Sahara and Iceland where there is plentiful cheap clean energy and
>> access to sea water.

> But you're missing the point that by converting the power (and water)
> into hydrogen, it's an extra unnecesary step.

It's an extra step. There's 312,000 people living in Iceland. They have
more renewable energy - geothermal, hydro, wind and wave - than they can
possibly use, no matter how profligate they choose to be. So what do you
propose they do with the excess capacity? Just now they use some of it to
smelt aluminium, which is pretty sensible. But there's plenty more. Why
shouldn't they export it? The same applies to New Zealand, and, although
the power source is different, to Western Sahara.

> A limiting factor
> would be the cost of the transmission network, which in a dessert would
> be very high, but then so would the cost of providing and maintaining
> roads to any sort of energy production plant and the cost of hauling the
> chemicals produced.

Look, you cannot move energy long distances by road. It just isn't
efficient enough. You cannot move energy long distances by electricity
transmission lines, for the same reason. You either move it by sea, or you
don't move it.

;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)

Paul Murphy wrote:
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> and the anaerobic decomposition of
>> plant matter washed into the reservoir can be a significant converter of
>> absorbed atmospheric CO2 into atmospheric CH4 (which is a 20 times more
>> potent greenhouse gas) when the water is depressurised through the
>> turbines. Hydroelectric schemes particularly in tropical and northern
>> regions can emit much more CO2 equivalent than a fossil fuel power
>> plant.

>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046.html

> That's exactly the description I think of with regards to hydrogen powered
> vehicles, people imagining they can drive around all day and thinking all
> that's produced is water vapour. Although the article makes sense I see it
> as a sensationalist gathering of worst case scenarios. If that's supposed to
> be typical of most modern hydro sites, in the words of Victor Meldrew, I
> don't believe it.

I quick search with google shows that it is only really bad in the
tropical and part of the temperate regions. There are claims that there
are logs behind dams in Canada that show very little decomposition after
over 100 years.

There is also a proposal to capture methane from some dams, and burn it
as fuel, increasing the power output of some Amazonian dams by 50%

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Murphy wrote:
>> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> and the anaerobic decomposition of
>>> plant matter washed into the reservoir can be a significant converter of
>>> absorbed atmospheric CO2 into atmospheric CH4 (which is a 20 times more
>>> potent greenhouse gas) when the water is depressurised through the
>>> turbines. Hydroelectric schemes particularly in tropical and northern
>>> regions can emit much more CO2 equivalent than a fossil fuel power
>>> plant.

>>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7046.html

>> That's exactly the description I think of with regards to hydrogen
>> powered vehicles, people imagining they can drive around all day and
>> thinking all that's produced is water vapour.

Further to my own post above, I saw on last nights Top Gear credit given to
a hydrogen powered car for only putting water out the exhaust - again, only
a selective picture is being painted and there's no mention of emmissions
during the hydrogen manufacture process and haulage of the fuel. Is it any
wonder people are fooled into believing hydrogen powered cars are the answer
to our problems?

Paul

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's an extra step. There's 312,000 people living in Iceland. They have
>more renewable energy - geothermal, hydro, wind and wave - than they can
>possibly use, no matter how profligate they choose to be. So what do you
>propose they do with the excess capacity? Just now they use some of it to
>smelt aluminium, which is pretty sensible. But there's plenty more. Why
>shouldn't they export it? The same applies to New Zealand, and, although
>the power source is different, to Western Sahara.

sorry but :
http://www.savingiceland.org/

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> In practice, of course, you'll electrolyse sea water, both because the salt
> in the water acts as an electrolyte and makes the process more efficient,

I think it depends on the concentration of NaCl whether you get O2 or
Cl2 at the anode.

I've no idea whether seawater would give O2 or Cl2.

It could well be that Cl2 would actually be more useful industrially
than the O2 although we'd then be adding lots of NaOH to the ocean
instead - whether this would then react with the dissolved CO2 to give
us carbonates or not I've no idea but in the short term could
potentially be a way to get the CO2 back out of the atmosphere.

Tim.

[email protected] wrote:

> I think it depends on the concentration of NaCl whether you get O2 or
> Cl2 at the anode.
>
> I've no idea whether seawater would give O2 or Cl2.
>
> It could well be that Cl2 would actually be more useful industrially
> than the O2 although we'd then be adding lots of NaOH to the ocean
> instead - whether this would then react with the dissolved CO2 to give
> us carbonates or not I've no idea but in the short term could
> potentially be a way to get the CO2 back out of the atmosphere.
>
> Tim.

At the moment the demand for NaOH nicely balances that for Cl2. If
Hydogen were required on a massive scale the over production of both
would be a problem. I suppose desalinification followed by adding
something like sulphuric acid for conduction would be the way round.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames