BMX an Olympic sport!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Luther Blissett, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. From news.com.au http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,6682047-23218,00.html

    BMX cycling at Beijing Games From correspondnts in Prague July 1, 2003

    THE International Olympic Committee said today it has approved the addition of men's and women's BMX
    cycling for the Beijing Games in 2008.

    IOC President Jacques Rogge said that the International Cycling Federation will drop two of its
    events to add BMX, or bike moto-cross, to the competition.

    "It (BMX) will not add anything in terms of the number of athletes," said Rogge, adding that the
    Cycling Federation has yet to decide which two events will be dropped.

    Rogge said that the overall number of events for competition at Beijing will remain at 300.

    A number of so-called "extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics in recent years, including
    triathlon and mountain biking to the Summer Games, and snowboarding to the Winter Games.

    Agence France-Presse

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    > A number of so-called "extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics in recent years, including
    > triathlon and mountain biking to the Summer Games, and snowboarding to the Winter Games.

    I know this is wildly OT (so flame me), but how is snowboarding extreme and skiing (by implication)
    is not? Or more on-topic, how is MTBing (in its Olympic form) extreme, and road/track cycling (again
    by implication) is not?

    &roo

  3. Andrew Swan wrote:

    > I know this is wildly OT (so flame me), but how is snowboarding extreme and skiing (by
    > implication) is not? Or more on-topic, how is MTBing (in its Olympic form) extreme, and road/track
    > cycling (again by implication) is not?

    The whole extreme tag is lost on me. It's just another late 20th century marketing gimmick .. I'm
    sure in 5 years time the kiddies will think anything described as "extreme" is lame. Is lawn bowls
    an extreme sport? More Australians die each year playing lawn bowls than any other sport. (OT as
    well, as usual)

  4. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    i agree, "extreme" now means anything where you may be more than 50cm of the ground.

  5. "Twisties" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i agree, "extreme" now means anything where you may be more than 50cm of the ground

    From the news report
    >>"extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics in recent years,
    including triathlon.

    Not even 50cm it seems!

    I think the extreme tag has been applied to any sport which is new and unconventional. The
    established Olympic sports tend to be those which have a reasonably lengthy tradition of organised
    sporting activity and are accepted by those in authority over sport. Things like road cycling or
    downhill skiing are part of the establishment and OK to devote time and resources towards. Any newer
    sports (post 1980) all get tarred with the brush of high risk and questionable morality.

    We could probably add synchronised swimming and beach volleyball to the list of 'extreme sports'

    Cheers Peter

  6. "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Twisties" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> i agree, "extreme" now means anything where you may be more than 50cm of the ground
    >
    > From the news report
    >>>"extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics in recent years,
    > including triathlon.
    >
    > Not even 50cm it seems!
    >
    > I think the extreme tag has been applied to any sport which is new and unconventional.

    That's nowhere near cynical enough. Extreme sports are ones that marketing scum can use to sell soft
    drinks to the young and stupid by telling them they're young and stupid. If the marketing works,
    case proven.

    The term is fantastically dumb. If 'extreme' meant anything in this context, it would be 'carries a
    significant risk of death if anything much at all goes wrong', in which case I can think of just
    three extreme sports off the top of my head: high-altitude mountaineering; cave diving and big- wave
    surfing. The rest is vanity, posturing and marketing.

    The sports usually lumped as 'extreme' aren't - they're 'recreational sports', in that the vast
    majority of the activity in those sports is about doing the activity for its own sake, having fun,
    and not competing or training to compete. Traditional sports administrators find this incredibly
    hard to get their heads around.