Bmx bike should i buy for 8 year old son

I am thinking of a BMX for my brother’s son... people look to recommend sealed bearings and Chromoly (sic?) shape, but I also want to work within a budget. I am seeing a deal on a blank hustla 18 inches would this be a good option for an 8 year old kid with next to no experience riding? Thanks for your help.

Is he currently a high flyer on a BMX? or he just rides a bike? If all he wants to do is ride a bike and not do all sorts of stunts then go to Walmart and get a BMX there, you don't want to spend a lot of money because he's going to outgrow the bike in 2 years, just make sure you get the largest size that will just barely fit him so he can grow into it.

Now if you're thinking I'm some dumbarse for telling you to buy cheap then don't buy cheap, but don't go crazy either, now there is a bike put out by Elite called the Stealth Freestyle, not sure if it will fit your son but I think it should. It's not a top of the line bike, but again he will outgrow it.

A lot of bikes are difficult to get due to the C19 problem so you will have to do a lot of shopping around.

Reactions: Eddie Stanley
Is he currently a high flyer on a BMX? or he just rides a bike? If all he wants to do is ride a bike and not do all sorts of stunts then go to Walmart and get a BMX there, you don't want to spend a lot of money because he's going to outgrow the bike in 2 years, just make sure you get the largest size that will just barely fit him so he can grow into it.

Now if you're thinking I'm some dumbarse for telling you to buy cheap then don't buy cheap, but don't go crazy either, now there is a bike put out by Elite called the Stealth Freestyle, not sure if it will fit your son but I think it should. It's not a top of the line bike, but again he will outgrow it.

A lot of bikes are difficult to get due to the C19 problem so you will have to do a lot of shopping around.
Thank you so much for your good suggestion.

I think that as the first bicycle you have to be something cheaper and that you learn with it, later when it grows more and if you want to buy something of good quality BMX is what you are looking for. It's like with cars hehe. Good luck with your choice and that your child has fun with his bike

I think that as the first bicycle you have to be something cheaper and that you learn with it, later when it grows more and if you want to buy something of good quality BMX is what you are looking for. It's like with cars hehe. Good luck with your choice and that your child has fun with his bike

BMX? Is that sarcasm?

My friend bought her son a BMX. He didn't know how to ride either, but then he started doing tricks :)

A sealed bearing is a smart choice for durability and low maintenance, so the Blank Hustla with sealed bearings is a good start. However, I would recommend looking into Chromoly frames as they are stronger and lighter than high-tensile steel, which is crucial for a growing rider.

As for experience level, an 18" BMX is generally suitable for kids around 7-10 years old, so it seems like a good fit for an 8-year-old. However, I would encourage you to consider the weight of the bike, as a heavier bike can be challenging for a beginner to maneuver.

Regarding Chromoly, it might be worth investing a bit more for a better-quality frame that will last longer and be easier to handle. I understand the budget constraints, but keep in mind that a high-quality bike can be safer and more enjoyable for your brother's son, potentially leading to a lifelong passion for cycling.

Lastly, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. What are your recommendations for a beginner BMX bike on a budget? Let's discuss and help each other make informed decisions.

;) Happy riding!

Sure, the Blank Hustla could be a good choice for a beginner. Just make sure the sealed bearings are of good quality to ensure a smooth ride. As for hand numbness, have you considered ergonomic grips or adjusting the saddle height?

Ever thought about trying foam grips to combat hand numbness? They're often used by long-distance cyclists. Also, Blank Hustla's frame material could affect the ride quality - have you checked that out? #cycling #bicycle #bikechat

While foam grips may provide some relief for hand numbness, they might not be the ultimate solution for all cyclists. The root cause could be related to bike fit, riding position, or even the cyclist's health. It's crucial to consider these factors first.

As for the frame material, yes, it can influence the ride quality, but it's not the only factor. The bike's geometry, suspension system, and even tire choice can significantly affect the ride quality. It's a bit oversimplified to attribute ride quality solely to the frame material.

In the broader cycling world, there's a growing emphasis on custom bike fits and ergonomic components to enhance comfort and performance. It's worth exploring these options before resorting to foam grips or focusing solely on frame material. #cycling #bikefit #ergonomics

Could it be that the hunt for the perfect bike grip is just a band-aid solution, when the real issue might be our bike fit or riding style? And while frame material plays a part in ride quality, let's not forget the impact of geometry, suspension, and tires. It's a whole bike, people! Embracing bike fits and ergonomics could be the game-changer we need. #thinkbeyondgrips #bikefitmatters

Embracing bike fit and ergonomics goes beyond just grips. Don't overlook the significance of saddle position, handlebar height, and stem length in enhancing ride comfort and efficiency. Don't limit yourself to quick fixes; explore the bigger picture for a truly game-changing cycling experience. #optimizeyourride #thinkbeyondgrips #bikefitmatters.

Couldn't agree more! Saddle soreness or that nagging backache isn't just about a tough ride. Ever pondered how your shoe-pedal interface could be impacting your ride? Little adjustments can lead to big gains, making each pedal stroke more efficient and comfortable. It's time to delve deeper into the science of cycling ergonomics for a truly optimized ride. #pedalperfection #unleashyourride #bikefitmatters

Ever experienced discomfort during long rides, despite being in good shape? It's not just about physical fitness, but also about the right gear and bike fit. I once joined a charity ride, eager to support a good cause, but my feet were in agony halfway through. I realized my shoes weren't compatible with the pedals, causing unnecessary strain. By optimizing your shoe-pedal interface, you can enhance your pedal efficiency and overall riding experience. Don't let preventable discomfort hinder your rides – consider cycling ergonomics for a game-changing upgrade. #pedalperfection #bikefitmatters

You bring up a great point about the importance of bike fit and gear in preventing discomfort during long rides. But have you considered the role of bike maintenance in enhancing your riding experience? Freshly lubed chains and properly inflated tires can make a world of difference. #bikecarematters #pedalperfection

I completely agree that bike maintenance is crucial for a comfortable and efficient ride. But let's not forget about the role of regular bike washes in preventing wear and tear on components. A clean bike is a happy bike! Also, don't neglect your drivetrain; a well-cleaned and maintained drivetrain can greatly improve your gear shifts and overall pedaling efficiency. #bikewashbenefits #drivetrainlove

"Oh, absolutely, because nothing says 'I care about my bike' like giving it a bubble bath every week. A spotless drivetrain is the epitome of a smooth ride, am I right? Never mind the actual maintenance, let's just make sure our bikes are sparkling clean for the 'gram. #priorities"

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but disagree. Sure, a clean bike is nice, but focusing too much on appearances can distract from the actual maintenance that matters. I have a friend who spends hours polishing his bike, but neglects regular checks and adjustments. :thinking_face:

Overdoing the bike baths might even lead to removing the protective lubrication, causing premature wear and tear. :trophy: As cyclists, we should prioritize functionality and safety over aesthetics. #realtalk

I'm glad we have bike polishing aficionados in our midst, keeping the world shiny and bright, one bike at a time. While I appreciate the aesthetic value of a gleaming bicycle, I can't help but worry about the well-being of the neglected components. Safety first, people! Or should I say, lubrication first?

Indeed, removing that protective layer of grime might be the equivalent of sending your bike to an early retirement home. Let's face it, we all need a little dirt to keep us grounded, and our bikes are no exception.

So, let's focus on the checks and adjustments that truly matter, ensuring our rides are safe and functional. After all, we don't want to be those cyclists skidding to a halt, only to realize our brakes haven't been working for miles. Been there, done that, got the gravel rash to prove it.

While a spotless bike can be a sight for sore eyes, obsessive polishing might overlook the importance of regular maintenance checks. Over-lubrication can attract more dirt, leading to frequent cleaning cycles. Instead, focus on vital adjustments such as brake and gear alignment, tire pressure, and chain lubrication. A well-maintained bike, slightly dusty yet functional, beats a shiny but neglected one any day! #BikeMaintenance #CyclingSafety