BMX freewheel is being weird

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    The freewheel on my BLX bike is being weird, sometimes, and completely random, the freewheel doesnt
    engage the chain just goes around and around but nothing happens, then it will click in, and ill be
    able to move. I was on a ride I left it did it for a little while and the next four hours nothing,
    and it doing it again. anyone know the problem, does it need to be lubed?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, TJ Poseno <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The freewheel on my BLX bike is being weird, sometimes, and completely random, the freewheel doesnt
    >engage the chain just goes around and around but nothing happens, then it will click in, and ill be
    >able to move. I was on a ride I left it did it for a little while and the next four hours nothing,
    >and it doing it again. anyone know the problem, does it need to be lubed?

    If the pawls are gummy, lube should help. If there is some other kind of failure inside the
    freewheel then lube may not help at all and you'd need to replace it. If the freewheel breaks free
    at the wrong moment (eg, when you stand up to hammer the pedals) you can easily face plant on the
    road so take care (or replace it).

    --Paul

  3. The innards are gunked up, the pawls are not engaging the toothed ring that surrounds them.
    (basically, your clutch is jammed)

    You can sometimes fix this simply by removing the freewheel from the hub and giving it a good bath
    in degreaser. Spin it around while it's soaking to agitate the insides as much as possible. Then
    take it out, get as much of the degreaser as you can out of it and relube with a light oil, such
    as 3 in 1.

    If this doesn't fix it, you may have to take it apart. If you don't know how, ask your LBS.

  4. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I took off the wheel and I ran some WD-40 through ti because I know how it washes away grease, the i
    added soem light oil. its fine now, thanks!