BMX hub question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gooserider, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
    an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
    hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
    wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

    Tags:

  2. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
    > an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
    > hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
    > wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

    No. By definition, a flip-flop hub has sprockets on both sides. A
    coaster brake hub requires a torque arm that is connected to the frame,
    which means the sprocket needs to be on the other side.

    Mechanically, it *might* be possible, but I've never seen a hub like
    this.

    Jeff

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Gooserider wrote:

    > My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
    > an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
    > hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
    > wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

    nope. There's no such hub made

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > Gooserider wrote:
    >
    > > My younger brother has decided he wants an old school BMX, and hit me with
    > > an odd question. He wants to know if it's possible to have a flip/flop rear
    > > hub with a coaster brake. I have no idea, so I ask you. I don't know why he
    > > wants to run three brakes on the bike, but that's his deal.

    > nope. There's no such hub made

    you might be able to put two sprockets on a regular coasterhub, or weld
    two back to back.

    Note that a coaster hub will not permit the bike to roll backwards if
    you stand on the pedals
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen