BMX now an Olympic sport - train your kids for 2008

Onthabeach

Guest
BMX to replace two cycling events in 2008 Olympics

By ERICA BULMAN The Associated Press

PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) - Bike Moto Cross, otherwise known as BMX cycling, will be added to the
program for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

One women's and one men's BMX race will replace two track cycling events, yet to be determined, in a
bid to attract younger audiences.

IOC president Jacques Rogge called it a ``new, spectacular event.''

``We believe that this introduction will definitely enhance the Olympic program,'' he said.

The two new races won't increase the number of events or athletes in Beijing, Rogge said.

Rogge said the International Cycling Union was studying which two events in the current program were
the least popular and would be replaced by BMX.

Racing on small stunt bikes, four BMX riders start together and negotiate a jumps-and-bumps obstacle
course, built on dirt in the center of the velodrome track.

An elimination process will see the fastest in each heat advancing to the next round. The heats are
expected to take less than a minute each.

The introduction of BMX is an attempt to attract the interest of a younger generation, much like the
addition of snowboarding in 1998 and freestyle skiing in the early '90s.

Two sports, triathlon and taekwondo, were added for the Sydney Olympics in 2000, but there is
increasing pressure to cut rather than add sports.

Since his election as IOC president in 2001, Rogge has been pushing to contain spending and
``gigantism'' in the Olympics.

"OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Since his election as IOC president in 2001, Rogge has been pushing to
contain
> spending and ``gigantism'' in the Olympics.

If Rogge is against "gigantism" then basketball and volleyball should be on the chopping block.

Sam wrote:

> "OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Since his election as IOC president in 2001, Rogge has been pushing to
> contain
> > spending and ``gigantism'' in the Olympics.
>
> If Rogge is against "gigantism" then basketball and volleyball should be on the chopping block.

There actually is a simple solution. When they started bringing in
7.5-foot players who could reach the rim, just move the basket to 12 or 14 feet. The height
advantage is then fairly meaningless. They must have wanted a game exclusive to larger-than-life
players, rather than skilled players.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:36:37 GMT, David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>>
>> "OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Since his election as IOC president in 2001, Rogge has been pushing to
>> contain
>> > spending and ``gigantism'' in the Olympics.
>>
>> If Rogge is against "gigantism" then basketball and volleyball should be on the chopping block.
>
>There actually is a simple solution. When they started bringing in
>7.5-foot players who could reach the rim, just move the basket to 12 or 14 feet. The height
> advantage is then fairly meaningless. They must have wanted a game exclusive to larger-than-life
> players, rather than skilled players.

Hmm...so it correlates that we should have football in the Olympics, but to take out the "gigantism"
& level the playing field, no pads allowed?

Ruger9

Ruger9 wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:36:37 GMT, David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Sam wrote:
> >>
> >> "OnThaBeach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> contain
> >>
> >> If Rogge is against "gigantism" then basketball and volleyball should be on the chopping block.
> >
> >There actually is a simple solution. When they started bringing in
> >7.5-foot players who could reach the rim, just move the basket to 12 or 14 feet. The height
> > advantage is then fairly meaningless. They must have wanted a game exclusive to
> > larger-than-life players, rather than skilled players.
>
> Hmm...so it correlates that we should have football in the Olympics, but to take out the
> "gigantism" & level the playing field, no pads allowed?
>
> Ruger9

No, just take out the contact that results in so many injuries.

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ruger9 wrote:

> > >There actually is a simple solution. When they started bringing in
> > >7.5-foot players who could reach the rim, just move the basket to 12 or 14 feet. The height
> > > advantage is then fairly meaningless. They must have wanted a game exclusive to
> > > larger-than-life players, rather than skilled players.
> >
> > Hmm...so it correlates that we should have football in the Olympics, but to take out the
> > "gigantism" & level the playing field, no pads allowed?
> >
> > Ruger9
>
> No, just take out the contact that results in so many injuries.

No contact, then what would all the fat boys (players) be doing?

Dashii

Dashi Toshii wrote:

> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Ruger9 wrote:

> be on

> > > Hmm...so it correlates that we should have football in the Olympics, but to take out the
> > > "gigantism" & level the playing field, no pads allowed?
> > >
> > > Ruger9
> >
> > No, just take out the contact that results in so many injuries.
>
> No contact, then what would all the fat boys (players) be doing?
>
> Dashii

Touch Football And fat would be a serious disadvantage.