BMX Training

bmxunderground

Jan 4, 2007
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I was trying to hunt down some information.

My younger brother and I each race BMX and I am trying to design a training program for him for the next few months.

There are two races he is training for specificially at this point. These races are UCI World Qualifiers on back to back weekends on March 31st-April 1st and then the following weekend as well.

I know enough about training that I don't feel comfotable designing a program like this.

At this point we need to work on his first 4 to 8 pedals out of the gate. So, we are trying to increase strength and then power. He has good speed for his class at this point on natural ability alone.

I understand that in most cases you would begin by developing strength. How do we go about this?

After developing this strength. We need to turn it into power. How do we go about this?

What should the training programlook like for the first month, second month, third month as the races are about three months away now.

It would be great if anyone had suggestions or could offer any help.

Thanks,

Nicholas Rauch
Owner/Webmaster
http://www.bmxunderground.com
[email protected]

There is a small section on BMX racing with a powermeter in Andy Coggan and Hunter Allen's book "Racing and Training with a powermeter". It was Hunter doing the racing, he might be able to help.

J

bmxunderground said:
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I was trying to hunt down some information.

My younger brother and I each race BMX and I am trying to design a training program for him for the next few months.

There are two races he is training for specificially at this point. These races are UCI World Qualifiers on back to back weekends on March 31st-April 1st and then the following weekend as well.

I know enough about training that I don't feel comfotable designing a program like this.

At this point we need to work on his first 4 to 8 pedals out of the gate. So, we are trying to increase strength and then power. He has good speed for his class at this point on natural ability alone.

I understand that in most cases you would begin by developing strength. How do we go about this?

After developing this strength. We need to turn it into power. How do we go about this?

What should the training programlook like for the first month, second month, third month as the races are about three months away now.

It would be great if anyone had suggestions or could offer any help.

Thanks,

Nicholas Rauch
Owner/Webmaster
http://www.bmxunderground.com
[email protected]

I second Justin's recommendation: if you're looking to hire a coach who understands both BMX and power-based training, Hunter's your man. (In fact, USA Cycling recently had him out at the OTC doing some testing/experiments with some of the US Olympic hopefuls.)

I've noticed here in Australia BMX provides pretty good feedstock for track sprinters. I don't know much about BMX racing but presumably the demands of standing starts and small gears / power at high leg speeds crosses over nicely to the track. Ryan Bayley comes to mind.

Skills aside, presumably similar principles apply to training for BMX as in track sprint/TT?

Alex Simmons said:
I've noticed here in Australia BMX provides pretty good feedstock for track sprinters. I don't know much about BMX racing but presumably the demands of standing starts and small gears / power at high leg speeds crosses over nicely to the track. Ryan Bayley comes to mind.

Skills aside, presumably similar principles apply to training for BMX as in track sprint/TT?
Anna Mears and Jamie Staff are bmxers. Wade Boots and Brian Lopes are both mtncross/bmxers that train on the track. Boots has gone in the 10s(with some ...substance issues) for the 200.