Bmxer looking to expand my horizons

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Chiliphil1, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Chiliphil1

Chiliphil1 New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post. Thanks for having me on the forum, hopefully it will be a long and enjoyable relationship!

I'm an old man now at 30, 15 years ago I was state and regional BMX champion and in pretty good shape.. Now I'm a good bit rounder and a lot slower! I still go out to the BMX track from time to time and I have a very nice Standard I built myself from top spec parts, my kids also like to ride their BMX mini's.

Anyhow, I watched the olympics a couple weeks back and was just IN LOVE with the velodrome. I live about 40 miles from the Dick Lane velodrome in Atlanta, so I'm definately going to take advantage of their beginner course and get myself a bike to race out there.

In the mean time I'm nursing a 2 year old hip injury which has had 3 surgeries at this point and hopefully within another couple of months I'll be cleared to get on the bike again. I'm looking to move into road cycling. I did some mountain biking a while back as I live about 5 minutes from a place called "Dauset trails" which houses 18 miles of pretty awesome MTB trails. I had to give that up as my bike just fell apart the more I rode it, it was a cheaper Mongoose pro model which isn't a box store bike but it isn't a "bike store" bike either. I really plan to get into that again as well but it isn't all the time when I can go to the trails, so as I mentioned I would like to get a road bike so I can ride more often. I would also like to work my way up to entering races as well.

All that blabbing to ask this. What would be a good bike to get into road cycling with? My budget is pretty small but I understand the differences between a Wal-mart bike and a store bike, so I know to avoid those. They have a GMC bicycle in there which actually looks pretty good but I know better! So, anyhow I'll most likely be looking at used bikes and I just wanted to ask if there were any good, affordable recommendations which I should look for in my search? As I have mentioned I am experienced with bikes, just not road.

Thanks for the help and sorry for such a long rambling post.

Tags: