BNE: confession

asterope wrote:
> LotteBum Wrote:
>> And you'd want to ride really frigging well to do it justice.
>>
>> Lotte (disc brakes are for sissies)

> or just never ever ever buy another mountain bike for the rest of your
> natural life...
>
> pah, a girl can dream cant she?
>
> Asterope (may be a sissy, but they are much better in the rain...)

I'm not sure why LotteBum has such strong views against disc brakes - I love the
brakes on my hybrid. But they did let me down once (while riding with
LotteBum) on a long, VERY steep descent. The back disk was glowing red hot & had
completely lost all breaking ability before I was half way down the slope
(LotteBum didn't use her brakes at all, I suspect) - I think ordinary brakes
would not have heated & failed that way. But the stopping power in normal
circumstances, and especially in the wet, is awesome.

And I ride in the wet far more often than I do horrendous descents. Maybe I'm
getting old ...

--
Karen

"Sometimes I think I have a Guardian Idiot - a little invisible spirit just
behind my shoulder, looking out for me ... only he's an imbecile" - Jake Stonebender

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:45:02 +1000, asterope wrote:

> or just never ever ever buy another mountain bike for the rest of your
> natural life...

Bwahahahahahaha!

Dave - who raced his newest bike on Saturday in appalling conditions, and
was glad he'd taken that one.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"...and trogdor smote the kerrek. And all was laid to burnination."

Dave Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:45:02 +1000, asterope wrote:
>
> > or just never ever ever buy another mountain bike for the rest of your
> > natural life...

> Bwahahahahahaha!
>
> Dave - who raced his newest bike on Saturday in appalling conditions, and
> was glad he'd taken that one.

Too right! How could you possibly stop at one???

OK, we mightn't rack up the number Dave has/had, but one is never
enough. Always remember, we're cyclists - N+1.

Tony F
<runs off, bent over, while holding base of samurai sword strapped to
back to sounds of cheesy music>

LotteBum wrote:

> Lotte (disc brakes are for sissies)

Bah! They may not be perfect, but in every respect bar pad wear mine
have been better than my Vs or cantis.

Tony F
who thinks Lotte might be trolling - and was hooked

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> asterope wrote:
> > LotteBum Wrote:
> >> And you'd want to ride really frigging well to do it justice.
> >>
> >> Lotte (disc brakes are for sissies)

> > or just never ever ever buy another mountain bike for the rest of your
> > natural life...
> >
> > pah, a girl can dream cant she?
> >
> > Asterope (may be a sissy, but they are much better in the rain...)
> >

> I'm not sure why LotteBum has such strong views against disc brakes - I love the
> brakes on my hybrid. But they did let me down once (while riding with
> LotteBum) on a long, VERY steep descent. The back disk was glowing red hot & had
> completely lost all breaking ability before I was half way down the slope
> (LotteBum didn't use her brakes at all, I suspect) - I think ordinary brakes
> would not have heated & failed that way. But the stopping power in normal
> circumstances, and especially in the wet, is awesome.
>
> And I ride in the wet far more often than I do horrendous descents. Maybe I'm
> getting old ...

Very little trail in SEQ requires discs. Even I, as the
ultimate MTB gumby, know this. Oh, unless you ride in the
mud. Lotte and I get pretty sh!tty at people who ride when
it's just been raining, as it really tears up the trails.
Then MTBers start getting hassled by the environmental
groups, we lose trail access to favourite areas, etc. We
once went riding in Daisy one week after it stopped raining,
and it was still a quagmire, and we won't do that again.

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Very little trail in SEQ requires discs. Even I, as the
> ultimate MTB gumby, know this. Oh, unless you ride in the
> mud. Lotte and I get pretty sh!tty at people who ride when
> it's just been raining, as it really tears up the trails.
> Then MTBers start getting hassled by the environmental
> groups, we lose trail access to favourite areas, etc. We
> once went riding in Daisy one week after it stopped raining,
> and it was still a quagmire, and we won't do that again.

That depends on where you ride. I was riding in light rain (after heavy
rain) saw several other riders (OK, the same guy several times on the
same loop), yet there was no more evidence the track had been ridden
than normal. This track's ideal for rain - sandstone based with lots of
leaf litter. No mud at all. Other tracks I ride I wouldn't go near in
the rain, because of the problems you describe.

I guess you could say that no riding *requires* discs, but they're
still better in more conditions. Ever ridden with no brakes because
your front wheel was so out of true the pads kept jamming the rim? Not
a problem with discs, as long as the wheel still turns in the
forks/frame (might be wobbly, but still rideable). What about when you
head out for a dry ride, and it rains on the ride home (I usually ride
to and from trackheads)? Discs are more reliable in rain.

Tony F

thefathippy wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> >
> > Very little trail in SEQ requires discs. Even I, as the
> > ultimate MTB gumby, know this. Oh, unless you ride in the
> > mud. Lotte and I get pretty sh!tty at people who ride when
> > it's just been raining, as it really tears up the trails.
> > Then MTBers start getting hassled by the environmental
> > groups, we lose trail access to favourite areas, etc. We
> > once went riding in Daisy one week after it stopped raining,
> > and it was still a quagmire, and we won't do that again.

> That depends on where you ride. I was riding in light rain (after heavy
> rain) saw several other riders (OK, the same guy several times on the
> same loop), yet there was no more evidence the track had been ridden
> than normal. This track's ideal for rain - sandstone based with lots of
> leaf litter. No mud at all. Other tracks I ride I wouldn't go near in
> the rain, because of the problems you describe.

Yeah, hence my example of Daisy. There is no sandstone. Gap
Ck drains pretty well and most of it is okay a few hours
later.

> I guess you could say that no riding *requires* discs, but they're
> still better in more conditions. Ever ridden with no brakes because
> your front wheel was so out of true the pads kept jamming the rim? Not
> a problem with discs, as long as the wheel still turns in the
> forks/frame (might be wobbly, but still rideable). What about when you
> head out for a dry ride, and it rains on the ride home (I usually ride
> to and from trackheads)? Discs are more reliable in rain.

I don't ride to and from tracks because where I now live, it
takes me about 60-90 minutes to get there. But if I was on a
road bike, I wouldn't have discs, so I don't see any need to
put them on the MTB. No, I have never ridden with no brakes
because my front wheel was that out of true. If they were
that out of true, I would true them. (More accurately, I'd
get Paulie or Steven to true them ;) )

I think too many people just trust their discs, don't really
know much about them, just assume they are better. Saw a
woman at Daisy, putting her bike back on the car without
riding, because her disc brake pad had fallen off at some
point, just from sitting in the garage untouched for so
long. Ain't seen that happen with a V.

However, if I lived somewhere that it rained all the time, I
would probably share your opinion. Here, if it rains, I wait
a couple of days until it is dry and warm again. Wet is for
running.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> thefathippy wrote:
> >
> > Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > >
> > > Very little trail in SEQ requires discs. Even I, as the
> > > ultimate MTB gumby, know this. Oh, unless you ride in the
> > > mud. Lotte and I get pretty sh!tty at people who ride when
> > > it's just been raining, as it really tears up the trails.
> > > Then MTBers start getting hassled by the environmental
> > > groups, we lose trail access to favourite areas, etc. We
> > > once went riding in Daisy one week after it stopped raining,
> > > and it was still a quagmire, and we won't do that again.

> > That depends on where you ride. I was riding in light rain (after heavy
> > rain) saw several other riders (OK, the same guy several times on the
> > same loop), yet there was no more evidence the track had been ridden
> > than normal. This track's ideal for rain - sandstone based with lots of
> > leaf litter. No mud at all. Other tracks I ride I wouldn't go near in
> > the rain, because of the problems you describe.

> Yeah, hence my example of Daisy. There is no sandstone. Gap
> Ck drains pretty well and most of it is okay a few hours
> later.
>
> > I guess you could say that no riding *requires* discs, but they're
> > still better in more conditions. Ever ridden with no brakes because
> > your front wheel was so out of true the pads kept jamming the rim? Not
> > a problem with discs, as long as the wheel still turns in the
> > forks/frame (might be wobbly, but still rideable). What about when you
> > head out for a dry ride, and it rains on the ride home (I usually ride
> > to and from trackheads)? Discs are more reliable in rain.

> I don't ride to and from tracks because where I now live, it
> takes me about 60-90 minutes to get there. But if I was on a
> road bike, I wouldn't have discs, so I don't see any need to
> put them on the MTB. No, I have never ridden with no brakes
> because my front wheel was that out of true. If they were
> that out of true, I would true them. (More accurately, I'd
> get Paulie or Steven to true them ;) )

;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we
had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner
was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and
walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really
needed brakes.

> I think too many people just trust their discs, don't really
> know much about them, just assume they are better. Saw a
> woman at Daisy, putting her bike back on the car without
> riding, because her disc brake pad had fallen off at some
> point, just from sitting in the garage untouched for so
> long. Ain't seen that happen with a V.

Ain't seen that happen either - fell out just sitting there? Sounds a
bit hard to believe, frankly - I'm not doubting what you saw, but her
explanation. My pads are usually hard to remove deliberately, let alone
have them fall out accidentally. I'd blame poor maintenance, which can
happen with Vs as well. I think the biggest risk is not checking how
worn the pads are - Vs and cantis are much better in that respect.

> However, if I lived somewhere that it rained all the time, I
> would probably share your opinion. Here, if it rains, I wait
> a couple of days until it is dry and warm again. Wet is for
> running.

hehe - it certainly doesn't rain all the time near me (on edge of
Warragamba catchment, which always misses out!), but I like the
simplicity, power, modulation, saftey when it does rain, and ability to
ride with wheels that have gone out of true during a ride. I guess that
now I have stronger wheels, out of true is less of an issue - it used
to be a major problem for me, given my lack of finesse. That said, I
have arrived home and discovered a wobbly rear wheel from a broken
spoke - which I hadn't even noticed while riding. With Vs, it's pretty
obvious when your wheel gets the wobbles.

Tony F
who has Vs and discs on different bikes, and will soon have a combo on
two bikes.

thefathippy wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:

<snip>
> > I don't ride to and from tracks because where I now live, it
> > takes me about 60-90 minutes to get there. But if I was on a
> > road bike, I wouldn't have discs, so I don't see any need to
> > put them on the MTB. No, I have never ridden with no brakes
> > because my front wheel was that out of true. If they were
> > that out of true, I would true them. (More accurately, I'd
> > get Paulie or Steven to true them ;) )

> ;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we
> had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner
> was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and
> walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really
> needed brakes.

Yeah, that's not an issue for me. If it's steep, I just
squeal lots, bail and walk down.

> > I think too many people just trust their discs, don't really
> > know much about them, just assume they are better. Saw a
> > woman at Daisy, putting her bike back on the car without
> > riding, because her disc brake pad had fallen off at some
> > point, just from sitting in the garage untouched for so
> > long. Ain't seen that happen with a V.

> Ain't seen that happen either - fell out just sitting there? Sounds a
> bit hard to believe, frankly - I'm not doubting what you saw, but her
> explanation. My pads are usually hard to remove deliberately, let alone
> have them fall out accidentally. I'd blame poor maintenance, which can
> happen with Vs as well. I think the biggest risk is not checking how
> worn the pads are - Vs and cantis are much better in that respect.

I think it was poor maintenance too, but she was just going
to trust them. I think Vs are better for people like me in
that respect. Lazy ones.

> hehe - it certainly doesn't rain all the time near me (on edge of
> Warragamba catchment, which always misses out!), but I like the
> simplicity, power, modulation, saftey when it does rain, and ability to
> ride with wheels that have gone out of true during a ride. I guess that
> now I have stronger wheels, out of true is less of an issue - it used
> to be a major problem for me, given my lack of finesse. That said, I
> have arrived home and discovered a wobbly rear wheel from a broken
> spoke - which I hadn't even noticed while riding. With Vs, it's pretty
> obvious when your wheel gets the wobbles.

Lack of finesse is something I have a masters in! But I'm a
lightweight. Plus you have to actually be ON your bike to
buckle your wheel...

thefathippy said:
;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really needed brakes.
Aw the poor sod! I hope there was a lactating woman around too, so that he could latch on and have a feed.

Lotte

LotteBum wrote:
> thefathippy Wrote:
>> ;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we
>> had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner
>> was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and
>> walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really
>> needed brakes.

> Aw the poor sod! I hope there was a lactating woman around too, so
> that he could latch on and have a feed.
>
> Lotte

Ah, your all heart, Lotte :)

Be gentle with me on Sunday ... if anyone's stupid enough to loan me their bike
for a quick run!

--

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> LotteBum wrote:
> > thefathippy Wrote:
> >> ;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we
> >> had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner
> >> was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and
> >> walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really
> >> needed brakes.

> > Aw the poor sod! I hope there was a lactating woman around too, so
> > that he could latch on and have a feed.
> >
> > Lotte
> >

> Ah, your all heart, Lotte :)
>
> Be gentle with me on Sunday ... if anyone's stupid enough to loan me their bike
> for a quick run!

I reckon you should hire a bike for the occasion. Or borrow.
Just so you can ride the entire time!

LotteBum wrote:
> thefathippy Wrote:
> > ;^) but what if that they taco on a ride? I've seen a wheel so bad we
> > had to belt it on the ground to get it back to wobbly, and the owner
> > was still able to ride out, with brakes. With Vs, he'd have ridden and
> > walked out - and we were coming to the downhill section, so he really
> > needed brakes.

> Aw the poor sod! I hope there was a lactating woman around too, so
> that he could latch on and have a feed.
>
> Lotte

Nup, and my man boobs were a poor substitute!

But we kept at it for a while anyway... ;^)

Tony F

thefathippy said:
Nup, and my man boobs were a poor substitute!

But we kept at it for a while anyway... ;^)
At least you gave it a shot.

Lotte (all sympathy)

I am sorry that I have disc brakes :( .

My non disc MTB only has one gear :D I will ride that on sunday me thinks