BNE: Cyclist down, E Brisbane 06:30

Duracell Bunny

New Member
Sep 20, 2006
Looks as if a cyclist in a bunch met a car on Stanley St - it'd only just happened as Joan & I went by. Not sure how injured the female rider was. I gather from other riders that the bunch was crossing from Vulture St to Stanley St, rider lost control & hit oncoming car.

Duracell Bunny said:
Looks as if a cyclist in a bunch met a car on Stanley St - it'd only just happened as Joan & I went by. Not sure how injured the female rider was. I gather from other riders that the bunch was crossing from Vulture St to Stanley St, rider lost control & hit oncoming car.

Yeah heard about that from a mate - a young girl from the Southbank bunch ride. My mate used to ride with her dad who was also on the ride. Sounded very nasty, she was very lucky not to be killed. He looked back and saw her flying way up in the air after hitting the car - poor girl. He waited until the ambo left, not sure the extent of her injuries but hopefully not too serious.

That's a dodgy S-bend going down there in a bunch. There used to be some big potholes and a manhole cover there as well.

adam85 said:
Yeah heard about that from a mate - a young girl from the Southbank bunch ride. My mate used to ride with her dad who was also on the ride. Sounded very nasty, she was very lucky not to be killed. He looked back and saw her flying way up in the air after hitting the car - poor girl. He waited until the ambo left, not sure the extent of her injuries but hopefully not too serious.

That's a dodgy S-bend going down there in a bunch. There used to be some big potholes and a manhole cover there as well.

And nothing that I've seen in the news about it. Hope she's recovering nicely.

Duracell Bunny said:
And nothing that I've seen in the news about it. Hope she's recovering nicely.
I'll second that - poor girl.

Personally I'm reluctant to ride in big bunches because I really don't believe "safety in numbers" applies when cycling. Too many accidents happen on bunch rides and I'm not prepared to be involved.

Lotte

Paulie-AU wrote:
> Duracell Bunny Wrote:
> > And nothing that I've seen in the news about it. Hope she's recovering
> > nicely.

> I'll second that - poor girl.
>
> Personally I'm reluctant to ride in big bunches because I really don't
> believe "safety in numbers" applies when cycling. Too many accidents
> happen on bunch rides and I'm not prepared to be involved.
>
> Lotte
>

> --
> Paulie-AU

Well, I wasn't there, so I shouldnt assume. Still, here goes. Like Adam
says, it's a dodgy bend - downhill, fast, off-camber, with a steel
plate - nasty even in dry. I've gone down there hundreds of times with
and without bunches and you don't need a bunch to make a problem
happen. If you have a young rider who misses the corner so far she's
into the third lane over, it could simply have been lack of skill. No
need to invoke a bunch hoodoo, except that as a father, I'm trying to
skill up my son with few other riders, before taking him into a bigger
bunch.

Donga

Donga wrote:

> Paulie-AU wrote:
> > Duracell Bunny Wrote:
> > > And nothing that I've seen in the news about it. Hope she's recovering
> > > nicely.

> > I'll second that - poor girl.
> >
> > Personally I'm reluctant to ride in big bunches because I really don't
> > believe "safety in numbers" applies when cycling. Too many accidents
> > happen on bunch rides and I'm not prepared to be involved.
> >
> > Lotte
> >

> > --
> > Paulie-AU

> Well, I wasn't there, so I shouldnt assume. Still, here goes. Like Adam
> says, it's a dodgy bend - downhill, fast, off-camber, with a steel
> plate - nasty even in dry. I've gone down there hundreds of times with
> and without bunches and you don't need a bunch to make a problem
> happen. If you have a young rider who misses the corner so far she's
> into the third lane over, it could simply have been lack of skill. No
> need to invoke a bunch hoodoo, except that as a father, I'm trying to
> skill up my son with few other riders, before taking him into a bigger
> bunch.
>
> Donga

But Lotte's point is valid - huge bunches work well on
closed roads, but they tend to become problematic where
there's traffic lights (Coro Dr) OR egos OR novices that
aren't adequately introduced. Some of the bunches will pass
a small group with no call on approach, some of the bunches
cut corners (e.g. from Anita St onto Diane St) and some of
them don't stop on orange, giving the guys in the back the
option of running a red light or saying ta-ta to the bunch.
On the river ride, anything over 20 riders I'm staying the
hell away from. I think 6-10 is a perfect bunch size for
river ride, wynnum ride, etc - easy to control and
communicate but big enough to have a good presence for
driver awareness.

Tam

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >
> > snip
> > Tam

> You still ride on the road, then, Tam? 'bout time you came on an LA
> ride again
> :D
>
> DB

See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).

Tam
Not at the moment - it's light soon after 4am, & already 24°C.

We've had some good rides this week. Join us on the next one - south side GW bridge 6am.

Even Asterope came to one! Lotte came today and last Friday, you're missing out.

DB

Duracell Bunny wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >

> > See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
> > so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).
> >
> > Tam

> Not at the moment - it's light soon after 4am, & already 24°C.
>
> We've had some good rides this week. Join us on the next one - south
> side GW bridge 6am.
>
> Even Asterope came to one! Lotte came today and last Friday, you're
> missing out.
>
> DB

And I have a sneaking suspicion that if I do the river loop
one more time I will implode. As fun as that sounds...

I'm off with work this weekend, which is a trip to
Maryborough, including a golf morning... hard life. But some
time after that a forest ride might be nice...

Tamyka Bell said:
See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).

Pah! In Melboring last night in was still hovering around the 40C mark at 7pm. It was in the high 20's/low 30's during the early morning, although we slept very soundly. At other times of the year I hate how those Mistral fans clutter up the place ... but at the mo they seriously rock. Types in the word bicycle to remain vaguely ontopic.

cfsmtb wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >
> > See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
> > so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).

> Pah! In Melboring last night in was still hovering around the 40C mark
> at 7pm. It was in the high 20's/low 30's during the early morning,
> although we slept very soundly. At other times of the year I hate how
> those Mistral fans clutter up the place ... but at the mo they
> seriously rock. Types in the word bicycle to remain vaguely ontopic.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Yeah, see, Melboring just hasn't got the beautiful humidity
that we get here, that makes sweating a much less effective
heat loss mechanism... as evidenced when we took the vitals
of our ultrarunners on Sunday. Hey, I had my first ever go
as assistant race director! Yay me!

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> See, I just don't understand why you people get out of bed
> so damn early! It's cold (20 deg C) and dark (-er).

****, The air-temp indicator on my motorcycle said 8ºC on the way to work
this morning in Perth.

Theo

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:27:44 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> ****, The air-temp indicator on my motorcycle said 8ºC on the way to
> work this morning in Perth.

Does it still say 8C now? (tomorrow is a forecast min of 13, but I can't
be arsed digging through bom.gov.au to find what today's min. was)

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to

Tamyka Bell said:
Yeah, see, Melboring just hasn't got the beautiful humidity
that we get here, that makes sweating a much less effective
heat loss mechanism... as evidenced when we took the vitals
of our ultrarunners on Sunday. Hey, I had my first ever go
as assistant race director! Yay me!

No, but the f***ing bunny-hopping train I caught yesterday to escape the heat had 100%+ humidity and matching frayed tempers. Oh joy. Not.

Relief as power restored - but for how long?
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/power-cut-threat-remains/2007/01/17/1168709790884.html

Dave wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:27:44 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> ****, The air-temp indicator on my motorcycle said 8ºC on the way to
>> work this morning in Perth.

> Does it still say 8C now? (tomorrow is a forecast min of 13, but I
> can't be arsed digging through bom.gov.au to find what today's min.
> was)

On the way home it said 29ºC. This morning was 14ºC

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:27:44 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >
> >> ****, The air-temp indicator on my motorcycle said 8ºC on the way to
> >> work this morning in Perth.

> > Does it still say 8C now? (tomorrow is a forecast min of 13, but I
> > can't be arsed digging through bom.gov.au to find what today's min.
> > was)

> On the way home it said 29ºC. This morning was 14ºC
>
> Theo

Gee, if it was that cold, I'd be scooting in my doona.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Gee, if it was that cold, I'd be scooting in my doona.
>
> Tam

I'd be moving to Queensland!

Donga

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:27:44 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>>> ****, The air-temp indicator on my motorcycle said 8ºC on the way to
>>> work this morning in Perth.

>> Does it still say 8C now? (tomorrow is a forecast min of 13, but I
>> can't be arsed digging through bom.gov.au to find what today's min.
>> was)

> On the way home it said 29ºC. This morning was 14ºC
>
> Theo

We got 5.1 degrees down in the Southwest this morning Theo.

Friday

Friday wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> > Dave wrote:

> >> Does it still say 8C now? (tomorrow is a forecast min of 13, but I
> >> can't be arsed digging through bom.gov.au to find what today's min.
> >> was)

> > On the way home it said 29ºC. This morning was 14ºC
> >
> > Theo
> >

> We got 5.1 degrees down in the Southwest this morning Theo.
>
> Friday

I glanced yesterday at a job ad in Orange, $15K more a year than now.
Then I thought it would cost that much to heat the house and buy
everyone a winter wardrobe! Anyone know what the cycling scene is like
in Orange? Qld salaries are ****, but the weather compensates.

Donga