{BNE} The Go-Betweens Bridge

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Kind of cycling related, I reckon it's a lovely gesture if the bridge could be named after them. ;)

You rang me up to ask me to the club,
We talked till light,
And then you go and lose your bike,
But when it comes to going home,
You always leave me all alone

- Doo-wop in "A" (Bam Boom)

Stars lobby for Go-Betweens bridge
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19368718-1702,00.html

A WHO'S who of Australian rock has joined the push to name a new Brisbane River crossing, The Go-Betweens Bridge, as a tribute to the legendary band.

The stars have submitted their proposal to a competition organised by the Brisbane City Council to find a suitable name for a $55.5-million bridge under construction.

The crossing – which anecdotally has been dubbed the Green Bridge as only pedestrians, cyclists and buses will be able to use it – will link the University of Queensland campus at St Lucia, with Dutton Park on the river's southside.

The name has been proposed in tribute to the celebrated Brisbane band, The Go-Betweens, which last month mourned singer-songwriter Grant McLennan, who died unexpectedly in his sleep at his Highgate Hill home.

Best known for songs Streets of Your Town and Cattle and Cane, tributes flowed in for McLennan from across the globe, with obituaries published in newspapers as far afield as New York and Berlin.

Poignantly, The Go-Betweens had its origins at the university campus, where McLennan first met fellow musician Robert Forster and decided to form the band.

A list of notable Australians, including all five members of Brisbane-based Powderfinger, author Nick Earls, songwriter Paul Kelly and former Midnight Oil singer turned federal Labor MP Peter Garrett have lent their names to the proposal, which is being led by Livid Festival creator Peter Walsh.

Deputy Lord Mayor David Hinchliffe, who has also backed the proposal, said the name was fitting.

"(Grant McLellan) was a very significant musical figure and he was about as local as you can get," Mr Hinchliffe said today.

He said if the independent panel did not support the nomination, he would propose the name for another new CBD pedestrian bridge set to be built from the new Gallery of Modern Art to Roma Street.

A final decision will be made before the bridge is scheduled to open in February next year.

On 2006-06-05, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

> Kind of cycling related, I reckon it's a lovely gesture if the bridge
> could be named after them. ;)
>
> -You rang me up to ask me to the club,
> We talked till light,
> And then you go and lose your bike,
> But when it comes to going home,
> You always leave me all alone -
> - Doo-wop in "A" (Bam Boom)
>

> Stars lobby for Go-Betweens bridge
> http://tinyurl.com/mxhbs
>
> A WHO'S who of Australian rock has joined the push to name a new
> Brisbane River crossing, The Go-Betweens Bridge, as a tribute to the
> legendary band.

Appropriately named, as you go between destinations; check.

> The stars have submitted their proposal to a competition organised by
> the Brisbane City Council to find a suitable name for a $55.5-million
> bridge under construction.
>
> The crossing – which anecdotally has been dubbed the Green Bridge as
> only pedestrians, cyclists and buses will be able to use it – will link
> the University of Queensland campus at St Lucia, with Dutton Park on the
> river's southside.

They have a song about bikes, and bikes are one of three modes allowed; check.

> The name has been proposed in tribute to the celebrated Brisbane band,
> The Go-Betweens, which last month mourned singer-songwriter Grant
> McLennan, who died unexpectedly in his sleep at his Highgate Hill
> home.

Appropriate timing; check.

> Best known for songs Streets of Your Town and Cattle and Cane, tributes
> flowed in for McLennan from across the globe, with obituaries published
> in newspapers as far afield as New York and Berlin.
>
> Poignantly, The Go-Betweens had its origins at the university campus,
> where McLennan first met fellow musician Robert Forster and decided to
> form the band.

Origins of the band at the university the bridge will serve; check.

> A list of notable Australians, including all five members of
> Brisbane-based Powderfinger, author Nick Earls, songwriter Paul Kelly
> and former Midnight Oil singer turned federal Labor MP Peter Garrett
> have lent their names to the proposal, which is being led by Livid
> Festival creator Peter Walsh.
>
> Deputy Lord Mayor David Hinchliffe, who has also backed the proposal,
> said the name was fitting.
>
> "(Grant McLellan) was a very significant musical figure and he was
> about as local as you can get," Mr Hinchliffe said today.

Very important local figure; check.

> He said if the independent panel did not support the nomination, he
> would propose the name for another new CBD pedestrian bridge set to be
> built from the new Gallery of Modern Art to Roma Street.
>
> A final decision will be made before the bridge is scheduled to open in
> February next year.

Pure poetry.

I definitely support this product and/or service.

--
TimC
A Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

TimC wrote:

All of the above, and, haven't we got enough war memorials and ex-Lord
Mayor edifices (didn't they get enough in their brown paper bags)?

One popular one is to call it the Green Bridge after a Brisbane WW1
soldier who died. They thought it cute he had the same name as the
bridge's temp name. Puleese!

"Go-Between Bridge" it's got to be!

Donga