BNSW has sold its soul to the Devil

scotty72

Jul 10, 2005
Look below for the press release from the BNSW website

http://bicyclensw.org.au/

In summary - these hypocrites have decided to sell out to the organisation that banned cyclists from a key section of its road. A section that, despite it’s short length, does more to discourage cycling in Northern Sydney than pretty well anything I can recall.

The alternate is hilly, heavily trafficked and slip-shod at best and places cyclists in danger that was not present when we were on the motorway.

Not only is BNSW saying ‘stuff you’ to cyclists, they are going to promote these clowns on Sunrise. When next Transurban decide to chuck us off a motorway (eg M7, M2, M5 or M4) – BNSW will say nothing – cause Transurban will buy their silence.

Yet another example of a member based group turning its back on the members to line its own pockets.

Absolutely disgusting.

* NEWS *

Transurban Ride to Work Launch - 21 August
In celebration of the National Ride to Work Day we are having a launch at Martin Place on Tuesday 21st August and everyone is invited. So why not roll on down, the first 600 cyclists presenting their helmets get a delicious Bakers Delight Cheese & Tomato savoury as well as a Ribena 500ml Ready to drink beverage and start the day off on the right pedal!!

Channel 7’s Sunrise and the ABC’s Adam Spencer will be there to support the Transurban Ride to Work Launch and that’s not all, there will also be a bike bus cycling there with non other than our own favourite Mayor, Clover Moore, that’s right! So what excuse is there? Cycle on down from 06:30-9am and celebrate the power of the pedal

Also, don’t forget to bring along your business card and go into the draw to win 1 of 2 brand new Clarence Street Cyclery/Trek 7500 hybrid bike valued at $1200 each, perfect for the city commute!

Proudly supported by:

scotty72 said:
Not only is BNSW saying ‘stuff you’ to cyclists, they are going to promote these clowns on Sunrise. When next Transurban decide to chuck us off a motorway (eg M7, M2, M5 or M4) – BNSW will say nothing – cause Transurban will buy their silence.
Disturbing indeed. I will reconsider when my membership next comes around for renewal.

As an aside, the reason I signed up was for the insurance - does anybody else know of another way to get the cyclecover insurance in NSW without being a BNSW member?

n

I have exactly the same question. Anyone knows of any other insurance source?

May be worth checking out Bicycle Victoria - their cover may be valid in NSW I think...

Most importantly - when the membership is due, you should let them know the reason why you do not want to extend!!

nerdag said:
Disturbing indeed. I will reconsider when my membership next comes around for renewal.

As an aside, the reason I signed up was for the insurance - does anybody else know of another way to get the cyclecover insurance in NSW without being a BNSW member?

n

cluster blaster said:
May be worth checking out Bicycle Victoria - their cover may be valid in NSW I think...
Just had a dig around the BV website - they'll allow membership to anybody in NSW (or AU for that matter), including the insurance, and a helluva lot of other member benefits than BNSW. Haven't checked the details of the policy, but it appears to be equivalent or better than that offer by BNSW. The couple/family membership rates are significantly better than in NSW.

If all you're after is the insurance, than BV looks like a much better deal than BNSW. I know where I'm going next year.

cluster blaster said:
Most importantly - when the membership is due, you should let them know the reason why you do not want to extend!!
Agreed. Whether they care is another matter.

n

In 1984, when the first Great Victorian Bike Ride was being planned by (then) Bicycle Institute of Victoria, 2 things irked cyclists throughout Victoria as they came to light: one, radio station 3DB, heavily pro-car, and two, oil giant Caltex. Both were secured as the principal sponsors of the first GVBR and the distaste in the mouths of bikers everywhere was profound. It wasn't a very good message from BIV and several executives copped a flogging.

I think almost $20,000 was donated by Caltex to get the ride off the ground and air time was provided by 3DB. Fast forward twenty or so years and I wonder if anything has changed now that Transurban has seemingly blitzed BNSW! What sort of message are we hearing from this bizarre relationship? And how could BNSW so blazé to its membership!? Will CityLink in Melbourne one day sponsor a Ride to Work. :eek: Laughable? Maybe not!