Boardman SLR/9.2S Di2 or custom build

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Wow, alfeng is talking about obsolescence. I must be in an alternate universe.

Cube, you sound sold on Di2 and the Boardman. I've heard Boardman frames are first rate (definitely a step or two up from Cube) and it sounds like Di2 is what floats your boat. Unless you have a specific frame in mind for the custom build (and at this price there aren't too many), I'd say pee or get off the pot. Don't overthink this.
Too soon?

Hasn't it been almost 5 years since the 10-speed Di2 components were introduced?

Shimano made the Octalink V1 interface obsolete after 5 years ...

Hasn't the 10-speed Di2 been superseded by the 11-speed Di2 for sponsored riders OR for whom being the first-on-the-block are concerned?

OR, can the 10-speed Di2 shifters be re-programmed for OTHER indexing?

Originally Posted by alfeng

Too soon?

Hasn't it been almost 5 years since the 10-speed Di2 components were introduced?

Shimano made the Octalink V1 interface obsolete after 5 years ...

Hasn't the 10-speed Di2 been superseded by the 11-speed Di2 for sponsored riders OR for whom being the first-on-the-block are concerned?

OR, can the 10-speed Di2 shifters be re-programmed for OTHER indexing?
I think the one i am considering is 10 speed , £2449http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/2013_Elite/slr92s_2013.html

I could opt for the SLS that is £3200 http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/sls94_Di2.html

Originally Posted by Cube1959

I think the one i am considering is 10 speed , £2449http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/2013_Elite/slr92s_2013.html

I could opt for the SLS that is £3200 http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/sls94_Di2.html
The 5700 Cassette is a 10-speed Cassette ...

Nothing wrong with that ... it's just good to be aware that it is not an 11-speed configuration on the £2449 bike so you won't be surprised when the bike arrives rather than think that some bait-and-switch shenanigans were involved..

BTW. Since you have established contact with Andy @ Boardman, maybe they will sell you just the frame/fork/headset combination from an un-built SLR/9.2S that they may have in their "factory" at a price which would be worth considering ...

Or, maybe they can cobble an SLR/9.2S frame with an 11-speed electronic group for you at a mid-point price ...

For your future reference AFTER the ride next Summer, for < $1000US, you can currently get a mechanical Athena group via eBay ...

I don't know how much Campagnolo's electronic groups currently cost.

The 5700 Cassette is a 10-speed Cassette ...

Nothing wrong with that ... it's just good to be aware that it is not an 11-speed configuration on the £2449 bike so you won't be surprised when the bike arrives rather than think that some bait-and-switch shenanigans were involved..

BTW. Since you have established contact with Andy @ Boardman, maybe they will sell you just the frame/fork/headset combination from an un-built SLR/9.2S that they may have in their "factory" at a price which would be worth considering ...

Or, maybe they can cobble an SLR/9.2S frame with an 11-speed electronic group for you at a mid-point price ...

For your future reference AFTER the ride next Summer, for < $1000US, you can currently get a mechanical Athena group via eBay ...

I don't know how much Campagnolo's electronic groups currently cost.
Think i will go straight for full bike , almost 100% i'll get a boardman now , unless i see something that i think WOW too good to miss , not sure now if i go for SLR 10 speed or SLS 11 speed ..
again the SLR will allow me to play around more with improvments as i'll have 1.5k left for wheels , better seat etc ..

Cheers all who have had an imput ..

Ah, Alf and the Shimano "dwell." That old gem. If you'd take the time it takes to write 5 words of the **** you drivel on about when it comes to this supposed "dwell" you'd realize that Shimano mechanical shifters change down (eg 15 to 14) when you let go of the inner lever. There is no dwell. You press the lever in , you hear the click and it only shifts when you let go. It does not shift when you start to move the lever in, nor does it shift when the lever is all the way in. It shifts when you let go. Maybe the dwell is what you believe the operation to be and not what it actually is and exists in a very disjointed way between that twaddle filled noggin of yours and your fingers.... :p

Hi guys

thanks for all the input , didn't go the boardman route in the end , I put £3900 into a specialized , S.Works .. Pick up next week sometime .. I'll post a photo when i get it ..

Just had a quick looksee at the Boardman AiR/9.4 - that's Di2 11 speed and with all the internal cable routing it's a very, very clean looking bike. Kinda digging the wide range of seat adjustment too, upto 75 degrees. Not too sure about the carbon clinchers though but they have to be at least as good as the Rovals that come with the Specialized bikes.

Did you test ride the Specialized bike and which S-Works model did you go for, Venge, Allez or Roubaix?

I did like the boardman , just not sold on the frame , colour , shape , and 3 year warranty .. having had two new frames on my cube i know they can crack , The specilized is lifetime warranty .. I went for the tarmac , Yes i know not a 100% hill climbing bike , but im sure it will be fine , if i had no budget i would have done the ride on my cube , so i had to go for the bike i would want to use again and again ..

Quote:Originally Posted by swampy1970 .Ah, Alf and the Shimano "dwell." That old gem.
If you'd take the time it takes to write 5 words of the **** you drivel on about when it comes to this supposed "dwell" you'd realize that Shimano mechanical shifters change down (eg 15 to 14) when you let go of the inner lever. There is no dwell. You press the lever in , you hear the click and it only shifts when you let go. It does not shift when you start to move the lever in, nor does it shift when the lever is all the way in. It shifts when you let go.
Maybe the dwell is what you believe the operation to be and not what it actually is and exists in a very disjointed way between that twaddle filled noggin of yours and your fingers.... :p

Ummm ... Well, KevinKeith/Fred/Bill/whateveryournameiswhichIapologizeforhavingforogotten ... 'I' did not make up the term "dwell" ... nor am I the only person to experience it when using Shimano's Road shifters REGARDLESS of how clumsy you feel a rider must be for experiencing it vs. the deft handling of the STI shift mechanism by those who have not experienced the problem .. . On the other hand, if you somehow feel a need to credit ME with the origination of the term & concept THEN one would suppose that you then would necessarily need to believe that somehow EITHER the people at PARK TOOL (+ others?!?) read-and-believe what I have written & therefore they have embraced-and/or-echoed the term for the fore mentioned mechanical idiosyncrasy OR the people at Park Tool have independently made a similar observation & then chose to somehow choose the same terminology ... Coincidence? I think not. OF COURSE, you could take-the-needle-out-of-your-arm & eventually concede that "dwell" can be readily replicated AND that the term precedes my use of the term ... So it is said. So it is written.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Ah, Alf and the Shimano "dwell." That old gem.

If you'd take the time it takes to write 5 words of the **** you drivel on about when it comes to this supposed "dwell" you'd realize that Shimano mechanical shifters change down (eg 15 to 14) when you let go of the inner lever. There is no dwell. You press the lever in , you hear the click and it only shifts when you let go. It does not shift when you start to move the lever in, nor does it shift when the lever is all the way in. It shifts when you let go.

Maybe the dwell is what you believe the operation to be and not what it actually is and exists in a very disjointed way between that twaddle filled noggin of yours and your fingers.... :p
Ummm ...

Well, KevinKeith/Fred/Bill/whateveryournameiswhichIapologizeforhavingforogotten ...

'I' did not make up the term "dwell" ... nor am I the only person to experience it when using Shimano's Road shifters REGARDLESS of how clumsy you feel a rider must be for experiencing it vs. the deft handling of the STI shift mechanism by those who have not experienced the problem .. .

On the other hand, if you somehow feel a need to credit ME with the origination of the term & concept THEN one would suppose that you then would necessarily need to believe that somehow EITHER the people at PARK TOOL (+ others?!?) read-and-believe what I have written & therefore they have embraced-and/or-echoed the term for the fore mentioned mechanical idiosyncrasy OR the people at Park Tool have independently made a similar observation & then chose to somehow choose the same terminology ...

Coincidence?

I think not.

OF COURSE, you could take-the-needle-out-of-your-arm & eventually concede that "dwell" can be readily replicated AND that the term precedes my use of the term ...
So it is said. So it is written.

Are there OTHER options other than your denial of the existence of "dwell" when using Shimano's Road shifters?!?

Perhaps.

BTW. I'm glad that EITHER you
& many others have never had a problem which can be attributed to the design of Shimano's STI shifters OR possibly that Shimano has finally remedied the problem with a more recent, non-electronic set of their Road shifters which I am not aware of ...

BTW2. As I have noted elsewhere, we are ever more clearly "a pet rock nation" for whom that which is made must be bought (by those who need to own a "pet rock") ...

So it is that there ARE those who feel that the flaws in their "pet rock" (i.e., Shimano mechanical Road shifters) should not be discussed ...

To each his own beliefs!
big-smile.png

Look this wasn't meant to be a pissing comp guys , one talks of dwell one talks of mith , thousands of people use Shimano , so i guess the best way to prove it is post a link showing
all the complaints ..

The specilized is lifetime warranty .. I went for the tarmac , Yes i know not a 100% hill climbing bike , but im sure it will be fine , if i had no budget i would have done the ride on my cube , so i had to go for the bike i would want to use again and again ..
Congrats on the choice. If you get a good fitting and right frame size that will probably be a really enjoyable bike to own for years to come.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider

Congrats on the choice. If you get a good fitting and right frame size that will probably be a really enjoyable bike to own for years to come.
cheers , I can't wait , they are sending me away on it for a couple of weeks then i have to go back for a pro bike fit !

I thought about it for a long time , went to 5 local bike shops , and contacted several others around the country , Last time I brought the Cube I made a 200 mile round trip , That was because everywhere had sold out of the one I wanted . And the place I got it gave me a good deal .

This time I was willing to spend 4k , a lot when you could buy a half decent car for that , But I have a very understanding wife LOL ..

So after looking round I thought the boardman , but where as I have had some positive feedback , and it had a good spec , I was never sold on the look or colour of the frame , You wouldn't buy a car and say love the wheels but hate the body ..
I also think boardman are a brand to watch out for .. And I couldn't find many reviews on it .. Good or bad !

So with my finger poised over the buy it now button , sat in bed , I typed in Specialized , it came up with a store just 10 miles from where I live , Took a trip down and a look and a sit on a bike there to get a feel , Then said ok how much to build me one , I said I have 4k , and for that I want a 5k plus bike .. Not sure you ever get that but , everything priced up in separate parts comes to well over 5k . Is it worth 4k .. is any bike worth 4k , I think along with no doubt many of my family think I have gone mad , But if I use it and enjoy it what is money , We have just found out a very good friend of ours have months to live .. One of my brothers died when he was just 24 and two before they reached one ! Mum and dad have been gone 5 and 3 years , So is it worth 4k .. HELL YES !!

As my wife said if it makes me happy she is happy . I have to be one of the luckiest people I know !!

I did like the boardman , just not sold on the frame , colour , shape , and 3 year warranty .. having had two new frames on my cube i know they can crack , The specilized is lifetime warranty .. I went for the tarmac , Yes i know not a 100% hill climbing bike , but im sure it will be fine , if i had no budget i would have done the ride on my cube , so i had to go for the bike i would want to use again and again ..
Not a climbing bike? The S-Works versions are the choice of guys like Contador and have been up hills faster than pretty much everything else.

Fan: what do you think of the s-works tarmac?
Bertie: f**kin' ace mate. Get a 32 sprocket and smash the cnuts! Do I look pretty in pink? Nice glasses BTW.

... and besides, you don't really have hills in Britain. 10 minute smash fests that suit the big fast lads as much as the malnourished looking climbers. :p

Not a climbing bike? The S-Works versions are the choice of guys like Contador and have been up hills faster than pretty much everything else.

Fan: what do you think of the s-works tarmac?
Bertie: f**kin' ace mate. Get a 32 sprocket and smash the cnuts! Do I look pretty in pink? Nice glasses BTW.

... and besides, you don't really have hills in Britain. 10 minute smash fests that suit the big fast lads as much as the malnourished looking climbers. :p
I did mean for the comfort aspect as well , .. Did i make a decent choice with this then Swampy ...

Look this wasn't meant to be a pissing comp guys , one talks of dwell one talks of mith , thousands of people use Shimano , so i guess the best way to prove it is post a link showing
all the complaints ..
Those who don't know enough to complain don't ...

Nontheless, there have been numerous queries about HOW to shift more smoothly when going uphill by comparative "newbies" who don't realize that the shifting CAN be better than what Shimano's mechanical Road shifters provide ...

FYI. Shimano's Rapid Rise (reverse-pull) rear derailleurs AND/OR their Di2 shifter are two of Shimano's remedies [see below for the OTHER, partial remedy] ...

Ah, Alf and the Shimano "dwell." That old gem.

HEY!

Apparently YOU have either chosen to mis-read what I have written about "dwell" over these many years OR you have been mindlessly echoing "Allen Nader" who is a pretender who I reckon did not have the real world experience with his bike that he wanted us to believe he had ...

Because, you are right, there is no "dwell" when upshifting when moving the chain from 15-to-14, or similar gear changes ...

BUT, I have been referring to downshifting to larger cogs when using Shimano's "large" lever ... (again, the "Rapid Rise" rear derailleurs are ONE way to correct the problem with downshifting when using Shimano's mechanical shifters)

Of course, I had presumed that you-and-others knew that in the common parlance that when you "downshift" that you are going to an easier gearing ...

Did/Do you not know that?!?

Or, is this an instance of being separated-by-a-common-language on the two side of the Atlantic?

I suppose THAT could possibly be your excuse due to your time abroad, but what about the others who claim that there isn't any "dwell" in Shimano's mechanical shifters?

OR, would you prefer that I not give you an implausible excuse to use?
Additionally, "dwell" handicaps Shimano's front derailleur shift to the outer Chainring, too.

Regardless (even though you-and-some-others will undoubtedly choose not remember this in the future) ...
Excerpt from above (color added):

"Modern indexing shift levers use dwell, which is a hesitation between movements in the lever. These hesitations are timed to match the movements of the derailleur and the spacing in the rear sprockets ..."

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

Q.E.D ...
FWIW. THE benefit of "dwell" is the innovation-and-ongoing-development of ramping-and-pinning which Shimano's Cogs & Chainrings have which are not necessary when using Campagnolo shifters IF the rear derailleur is (almost ... +/- an infinitesimal amount) perfectly indexed but which subsequently means that the indexing of a drivetrain which is actuated with Campagnolo shifters will shift smoothly if the indexing that is indifferently set up OR if there is "cable stretch" ...

And, the lack of "dwell" in Campagnolo's (+ SRAM's ... but, SRAM's front shifter lacks trim & the bean counters apparently figured it would be easier to sell the-first-on-the-block group that a lack of a second chainring was a better solution than simply adding a notch to the front shifter's indexing) shifters also means that a vintage, thin-and-unramped Chainring can be used with Campagnolo shifters without drama whereas a mechanical Shimano shifter will spend some time trying to get the chain to engage the outer chanring if the "step" is more than a few teeth.

At least Shimano Di2 doesn't require a front derailleur 'stiffener' (aka metal bracket to stop you snapping your carbon frame) or toughened forged chainrings specially made to handle the 52Nm of torque that Campag needed to use in order to make the chain shift from one ring to another. 52Nm? WTF. Why do you need almost 40 lb/ft to change gears?

See how much dwell you get when your aftermarket chainrings snap in two and your frame turns into shards of plastic before the errant electric front mech eats your calf muscle like it's some weird zombie front mech apocalypse!

Nom nom nom nom nom...

That info says SOME , it dosn't mention Shimano
At least Shimano Di2 doesn't require a front derailleur 'stiffener' (aka metal bracket to stop you snapping your carbon frame) or toughened forged chainrings specially made to handle the 52Nm of torque that Campag needed to use in order to make the chain shift from one ring to another. 52Nm? WTF. Why do you need almost 40 lb/ft to change gears?

See how much dwell you get when your aftermarket chainrings snap in two and your frame turns into shards of plastic before the errant electric front mech eats your calf muscle like it's some weird zombie front mech apocalypse!

Nom nom nom nom nom...

Those who don't know enough to complain don't ...

Nontheless, there have been numerous queries about HOW to shift more smoothly when going uphill by comparative "newbies" who don't realize that the shifting CAN be better than what Shimano's mechanical Road shifters provide ...

FYI. Shimano's Rapid Rise (reverse-pull) rear derailleurs AND/OR their Di2 shifter are two of Shimano's remedies [see below for the OTHER, partial remedy] ...

HEY!

Apparently YOU have either chosen to mis-read what I have written about "dwell" over these many years OR you have been mindlessly echoing "Allen Nader" who is a pretender who I reckon did not have the real world experience with his bike that he wanted us to believe he had ...

Because, you are right, there is no "dwell" when upshifting when moving the chain from 15-to-14, or similar gear changes ...

BUT, I have been referring to downshifting to larger cogs when using Shimano's "large" lever ... (again, the "Rapid Rise" rear derailleurs are ONE way to correct the problem with downshifting when using Shimano's mechanical shifters)

Of course, I had presumed that you-and-others knew that in the common parlance that when you "downshift" that you are going to an easier gearing ...

Did/Do you not know that?!?

Or, is this an instance of being separated-by-a-common-language on the two side of the Atlantic?

I suppose THAT could possibly be your excuse due to your time abroad, but what about the others who claim that there isn't any "dwell" in Shimano's mechanical shifters?

OR, would you prefer that I not give you an implausible excuse to use?
Additionally, "dwell" handicaps Shimano's front derailleur shift to the outer Chainring, too.

Regardless (even though you-and-some-others will undoubtedly choose not remember this in the future) ...
Excerpt from above (color added):

"Modern indexing shift levers use dwell, which is a hesitation between movements in the lever. These hesitations are timed to match the movements of the derailleur and the spacing in the rear sprockets ..."

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

Q.E.D ...
FWIW. THE benefit of "dwell" is the innovation-and-ongoing-development of ramping-and-pinning which Shimano's Cogs & Chainrings have which are not necessary when using Campagnolo shifters IF the rear derailleur is (almost ... +/- an infinitesimal amount) perfectly indexed but which subsequently means that the indexing of a drivetrain which is actuated with Campagnolo shifters will shift smoothly if the indexing that is indifferently set up OR if there is "cable stretch" ...

And, the lack of "dwell" in Campagnolo's (+ SRAM's ... but, SRAM's front shifter lacks trim & the bean counters apparently figured it would be easier to sell the-first-on-the-block group that a lack of a second chainring was a better solution than simply adding a notch to the front shifter's indexing) shifters also means that a vintage, thin-and-unramped Chainring can be used with Campagnolo shifters without drama whereas a mechanical Shimano shifter will spend some time trying to get the chain to engage the outer chanring if the "step" is more than a few teeth.

Ok

can we get back to the subject .. I have purchased an S.works .. My choise and im happy i made it , it WILL have Shim Di2 , My choise ,I will post a photo when it's home ..
Why not start a NEW topic on Dwell and not Dwell on about it in the post ..

I did mean for the comfort aspect as well , .. Did i make a decent choice with this then Swampy ...
I've heard they have a pretty good ride - most of all the top end frames ride well. I preferred the Cannondale Hi-Mod to the S-Works Tarmac a few years back when I test rode then both but it's a subjective thing. Things have changed and it might be the other way around now. You've got a great bike that's worthy of a Tour de France winner, the question is though: Is it the right bike for you? Can you get really comfy on it, as in you forget you're on the bike and you just live the ride, comfy - if you can it's a great buy. If you can't, well, all the carbon bling and uber light S-Works bits like the fancy cranks, won't help. It'll still be an exceptional bike but the back ache and other ****les will detract from the experience.

I've heard they have a pretty good ride - most of all the top end frames ride well. I preferred the Cannondale Hi-Mod to the S-Works Tarmac a few years back when I test rode then both but it's a subjective thing. Things have changed and it might be the other way around now. You've got a great bike that's worthy of a Tour de France winner, the question is though: Is it the right bike for you? Can you get really comfy on it, as in you forget you're on the bike and you just live the ride, comfy - if you can it's a great buy. If you can't, well, all the carbon bling and uber light S-Works bits like the fancy cranks, won't help. It'll still be an exceptional bike but the back ache and other ****les will detract from the experience.
Cheers Swampy , and many thanks for at least most of the time staying on track to the question asked , Not sure why some feel the need to rip apart everything and always fine a negative .. My problem will and always will be my illness m8 , Colitis isn't fun to live with , I get drained of energy , But fell a large part of that could be sorted with the right neutrition , But i also have IBS as well , Im back at the hospital at the end of the month so hopefuly i can get an answer to some help . I also get swollen joints because of it , so i will never get as comfy as some , but i have to get on with it , So fingers crossed it is better that the cube , And with a pro bike fit , i had one on my cube , but have never been sure it was right .. I will when i get it and have ridden it report back !