Bob Jackson

John

Guest
Hello, I have a Bob Jackson (1984) 23" tourer. The frame is in excellent condition. (531st) As I
remember it was put together by the great man himself. Basically complete, I wondered of its value.
Im getting a bit old for it and use a three speed mostly now.(Im 43 you know) Ive also got a 25"
531st Dawes Galaxy, but Id guess that has little value. Just thought Id ask. Thanks John

I have no idea of the value, IMHO bikes hold more sentimental value than monetary. I had my 1989
531st Peugeot renovated at Bob Jacksons when he was still near the M621.

news:[email protected]...

M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
: I have no idea of the value, IMHO bikes hold more sentimental value than monetary. I had my 1989
: 531st Peugeot renovated at Bob Jacksons when he was still near the M621.

Indeed. I fear that your Bob Jackson has about the same value as your Dawes. ie maybe 100 quid utter
top-whack.

Fundementally it's a 19 year old bike in 531, so it's not worth all that much.

Arthur

Lord Lester

On 24 Jun 2003 10:31:59 GMT, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
> M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
>: I have no idea of the value, IMHO bikes hold more sentimental value than monetary. I had my 1989
>: 531st Peugeot renovated at Bob Jacksons when he was still near the M621.
>
> Indeed. I fear that your Bob Jackson has about the same value as your Dawes. ie maybe 100 quid
> utter top-whack.
>
> Fundementally it's a 19 year old bike in 531, so it's not worth all that much.

However, remember that it doesn't need pedal reflectors at night and so can make a useful winter
commuter. Also it may have horizontal dropouts and so be of interest for someone wanting to do a
fixed gear conversion.

(None of which is going to dramatically increase the price but it might make it slightly easier to
find someone prepared to pay something for it)

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

: However, remember that it doesn't need pedal reflectors at night and so can make a useful winter
: commuter.

While technically true, do you know anyone who cares?

I've got some rather cool hi-vis ankle bands (day-glo yellow one side, that dark grey
super-reflective stuff the other) that serve as both trouser clips and visibilty aids.

: Also it may have horizontal dropouts and so be of interest for someone wanting to do a fixed gear
: conversion.

True enough.

Lord Lester

Tim Woodall wrote:

> On 24 Jun 2003 10:31:59 GMT, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
> > M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
> >: I have no idea of the value, IMHO bikes hold more sentimental value than monetary. I had my
> >: 1989 531st Peugeot renovated at Bob Jacksons when he was still near the M621.
> >
> > Indeed. I fear that your Bob Jackson has about the same value as your Dawes. ie maybe 100 quid
> > utter top-whack.
> >
> > Fundementally it's a 19 year old bike in 531, so it's not worth all that much.
> >
> However, remember that it doesn't need pedal reflectors at night and so can make a useful winter
> commuter.

Could this one be explained a bit more; is there /really/ legislation that requires pedal reflectors
on cycles manufactured after a certain point in time ?!

Philip Taylor

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:17:22 +0100, Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim Woodall wrote:
>>
>> On 24 Jun 2003 10:31:59 GMT, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >: I have no idea of the value, IMHO bikes hold more sentimental value than monetary. I had my
>> >: 1989 531st Peugeot renovated at Bob Jacksons when he was still near the M621.
>> >
>> > Indeed. I fear that your Bob Jackson has about the same value as your Dawes. ie maybe 100 quid
>> > utter top-whack.
>> >
>> > Fundementally it's a 19 year old bike in 531, so it's not worth all that much.
>> >
>> However, remember that it doesn't need pedal reflectors at night and so can make a useful winter
>> commuter.
>
> Could this one be explained a bit more; is there /really/ legislation that requires pedal
> reflectors on cycles manufactured after a certain point in time ?!

October 1985. It's in the vehicle lighting regs (also highway code)

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml rule 46.

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall wrote:

> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml rule 46.

Interesting. I do not possess a single bicycle capable of being legally ridden after dark, since all
currently sport Look pedals.

No, hang on, the tourer's OK coz the frame dates from 1984. Hurrah! No, wait a bit more - it doesn't
have a red reflector...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Tim Woodall wrote:

[snip]

> > Could this one be explained a bit more; is there /really/ legislation that requires pedal
> > reflectors on cycles manufactured after a certain point in time ?!
> >
> October 1985. It's in the vehicle lighting regs (also highway code)
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml rule 46.

Oh. Guess I'd better cycle up to the local nick (before dark) and give myself up, then :-(((

Originally posted by Philip Taylor -
Tim Woodall wrote:

[snip]

> > Could this one be explained a bit more; is there /really/ legislation that requires pedal
> > reflectors on cycles manufactured after a certain point in time ?!
> >
> October 1985. It's in the vehicle lighting regs (also highway code)
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml rule 46.

Oh. Guess I'd better cycle up to the local nick (before dark) and give myself up, then :-(((

I suppose members of the DS still have to have pedal reflectors even though they are of no use whatsoever :)

Bryan

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:54:23 +0100, Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tim Woodall wrote:
>
>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.shtml rule 46.
>
> Interesting. I do not possess a single bicycle capable of being legally ridden after dark, since
> all currently sport Look pedals.

Depending on how the legislation is interpreted, it is possible that there are NO recumbents capable
of being legally ridden after dark. (Unless they come into the pre-1995 bit)

The pedal reflectors have to be on the leading and trailing edge of each pedal. On recumbents the
reflectors (assuming pedals that can actually have them fitted) are more useful to low flying
aircraft and the odd mole if you are doing off road in the dark.

However, nobody seems to have decided what constitutes a bike made before 1995. "Well officer, I've
replaced the frame, the forks the wheels, the chain, the brakes, the bottom bracket the cranks and
the pedals. But the rear reflector is the original part so I don't need pedal reflectors"

Or can you upgrade EVERYTHING and still have a bike "made" before 1985?

What would be the situation with a car? They have a VIN and a number plate. If you replace the bit
of the car with the VIN attached, what happens to the car - does it become a new car? I can see a
roaring trade for "clockers" here. "No officer, I haven't put the clock back, I've replaced the VIN
and set the clock to the same value as the otherwise written off car that I got the part from"

Hopefully this might get sorted with the recent lighting consulatation but I'm not holding
my breath.

Regards,

Tim.

Tim Woodall wrote:

> Depending on how the legislation is interpreted, it is possible that there are NO recumbents
> capable of being legally ridden after dark. (Unless they come into the pre-1995 bit)
>
> The pedal reflectors have to be on the leading and trailing edge of each pedal. On recumbents the
> reflectors (assuming pedals that can actually have them fitted) are more useful to low flying
> aircraft and the odd mole if you are doing off road in the dark.

I suppose that in this context, the leading edge would be the underside and the trailing edge the
bit you put your foot on. Kingcycle used to apply refelctive tape to the underside of the cheap and
nasty plastic pedals supplied with their production bieks which, needless to say, all right-thinking
owners immediately relegated to a Box in the Shed. And one could argue that there is little point in
having a reflector which is covered by the foot when riding...

As to the clocking / axe of my grandfather issue, I owned a "Kingcycle entity" from 1990 to 2002,
but by the time it passed to its new owner, the only original parts were the cranks...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On 25 Jun 2003 01:30:48 +0950, Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

>I suppose members of the DS still have to have pedal reflectors even though they are of no use
>whatsoever :)

Indeed. See also:

<http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/rvlr>

Guy
===

chris French <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In message <[email protected]>, John
> <[email protected]> writes
> > Im getting a bit old for it
>

> >(Im 43 you know)

Ahhh the irony. :)I suppose the neat row of ex marks translates as "get your fat **** back on it
you idle bu££er" you're right of course, but I cant find the TIME. I work 20 miles from where I live
and its in Birmingham, I'm not cycling in that hell hole.