Bob Roll-ism

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Longwoo, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second "BONUFICATION"
    for being the first guy across the line.

    Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?

    What's going on here anyway???

    Tags:

  2. Smmb

    Smmb Guest

    pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the French
    word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being cool and
    local. (Who is Roll ?)
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy Paris FR

    "Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> a √©crit
    dans le message
    de :news:[email protected]...
    > Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second
    > "BONUFICATION" for being the first guy across the line.
    >
    > Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?
    >
    > What's going on here anyway???

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the French
    > word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being cool and
    > local. (Who is Roll ?)

    Phil L's eventual replacement.

  4. "Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second
    > "BONUFICATION" for being the first guy across the line.
    >
    > Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?
    >
    > What's going on here anyway???

    He must have picked it up from Liggett, 1990 TDF (that's the
    only one I remember). I thought I also remember Sean Kelly
    using that "word", but who knows because there are too many
    Irish racers to keep track and I get confused.

    end sarcasm.

  5. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Saying his was Phil L's replacement to someone in Paris
    France was probably not an answer.

    Bob Roll is an ex-racer who is now, along with Phil Ligget,
    TV commentators for the one network that shows bike races in
    the US market.

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xFX4-
    c.20086$%[email protected]

    > "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
    > > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
    > > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
    >
    > Phil L's eventual replacement.

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the French
    > word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being cool and
    > local. (Who is Roll ?)

    Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I believe
    the early US Posties as well. Presetnly he is one of hte
    announcers on OLN for bicycle racing. He's a pretty neat
    guy but he tries to keep a drugged-out attitide about
    everything as his unique personal slant and sort of his trade-
    mark. But as he is losing more and more hair it is becoming
    plain that he can't carry it for too much longer without
    looking like a fool.

    He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
    unusual among announcers in English so I really like to see
    him announcing at the Tour, the Giro (where he was
    instrumental in helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage
    that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87) and any other race
    where he doesn't try to act over-clever.

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "SprintAtBettyRussells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second
    > > "BONUFICATION" for being
    the
    > > first guy across the line.
    > >
    > > Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?
    > >
    > > What's going on here anyway???
    >
    > He must have picked it up from Liggett, 1990 TDF (that's
    > the only one I remember). I thought I also remember Sean
    > Kelly using that "word", but who knows because there are
    > too many Irish racers to keep track and I get confused.

    Don't know none a' dem firen languages I take it?

  8. On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:42:02 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
    > helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage that won Andy and
    > 7-11 the Giro in '87

    Erik Breukink won that stage.

  9. The Lueders

    The Lueders Guest

    Didn't Hampsten win in 88, not 87?

    [email protected]

  10. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don't know none a' dem firen languages I take it?

    In 1990? No. How could I concentrate on a foreign
    languange when I too busy worrying about why I wasn't
    growing any pubes?

  11. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:42:02 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage that won Andy
    > > and 7-11 the Giro in '87
    >
    > Erik Breukink won that stage.

    And it was '88, not '87. Stephen Roche won the Giro in '87,
    then went on to win the Tour and the Worlds as well.

    --
    Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  12. On 15 Mar 2004 07:28:21 -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
    >> Erik Breukink won that stage.
    >
    > And it was '88, not '87.

    Of course, sorry.

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > On 15 Mar 2004 07:28:21 -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
    > >> Erik Breukink won that stage.
    > >
    > > And it was '88, not '87.
    >
    > Of course, sorry.

    I was tired yesterday after a fast ride. True, Breukink won
    the stage but it was Andy's second place that won him the
    Giro and Bob's carrying him up a jacket and pacing him that
    led to Andy's first to the top. BTW, Andy is a small guy and
    couldn't descend like Breukink who was pretty big
    comparitively. Not to mention that Andy knew that he cold
    lose it all by slipping on the ice on the way down.

  14. On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:54:51 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
    > Andy's first to the top.

    Johan van de Velde was first at the top, but couldn't
    continue from hypothermia. He spent 15 minutes or so in a
    campervan, which finally took off with him still in it; they
    stopped a few hundred meters from the finish in a dead
    corner, Johan jumped out and finished... You're right that
    Hampsten passed the pass before Breukink.

  15. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
    > > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
    > > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
    >
    > Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I believe
    > the early US Posties as well.

    Never on USPS, we was dumped when Motorola took over from
    7-11. He went from 7-11 to mountain biking IIRC. I don't
    think he did any pro road races after 7-11 dropped him. He
    may have done a bit of the US crit circuit before switching
    to mountain bikes.

    Presetnly he is one of hte announcers on OLN for bicycle
    > racing. He's a pretty neat guy but he tries to keep a drugged-
    > out attitide about everything as his unique personal slant
    > and sort of his trade-mark. But as he is losing more and
    > more hair it is becoming plain that he can't carry it for
    > too much longer without looking like a fool.
    >
    > He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
    > unusual among announcers in English so I really like to
    > see him announcing at the Tour, the Giro (where he was
    > instrumental in helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage
    > that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87)

    Roche won overall in 1987 and Andy won in 1988. Roll was an
    important man for the Swiss Tour (Romandie actually I think)
    and for the Giro that year ('88). Roll crashed out of the
    Tour (or just before?) that year after flying all spring.

    >and any other race where he doesn't try to act over-clever.

    He never acted "over-clever" while racing, it was only his
    remarks afterwards that lead to his "character".

  16. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
    > [email protected]
    > > "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
    > > > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
    > > > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
    > >
    > > Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I
    > > believe the early US Posties as well.
    >
    > Never on USPS, we was dumped when Motorola took over from
    > 7-11. He went
    from
    > 7-11 to mountain biking IIRC. I don't think he did any pro
    > road races
    after
    > 7-11 dropped him. He may have done a bit of the US crit
    > circuit before switching to mountain bikes.

    Actually he raced with Motorola in 1991 in Europe. Again
    with the too-little-sleep. Forgot Motorola was in-between
    7-11 and Posties.

    > > Presetnly he is one of the announcers on OLN for bicycle
    > > racing. He's a pretty neat guy but he tries to keep a
    > > drugged-out
    attitide
    > > about everything as his unique personal slant and sort
    > > of his
    trade-mark.
    > > But as he is losing more and more hair it is becoming
    > > plain that he
    can't
    > > carry it for too much longer without looking like
    > > a fool.
    > >
    > > He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
    > > unusual among announcers in English so I really like to
    > > see him announcing at the
    Tour,
    > > the Giro (where he was instrumental in helping Andy
    > > Hampsten win the
    Giro
    > > stage that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87)
    >
    > Roche won overall in 1987 and Andy won in 1988. Roll was
    > an important man for the Swiss Tour (Romandie actually I
    > think) and for the Giro that year ('88). Roll crashed out
    > of the Tour (or just before?) that year after
    flying
    > all spring.

    I think someone sent him a picture of me and told him I was
    a stalker. I was thinking of making faces at him while he
    was taping a segment at the Sea Otter two years ago and he
    just looked up the hill at me standing behind the cameras
    and lost it. I never even got a chance to make that face. I
    think that he and I are on the same wavelength.

    > >and any other race where he doesn't try to act over-
    > >clever.
    >
    > He never acted "over-clever" while racing, it was only his
    > remarks afterwards that lead to his "character".

    I meant when he's announcing. I really enjoy his playing
    around with languages without any self conciousness that
    many Americans would feel in this day and age about
    mispronouncing French or Italian words.

    Bobke's great.

  17. On 03/19/2004 07:43 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Actually he raced with Motorola in 1991 in Europe. Again
    > with the too-little-sleep. Forgot Motorola was in-between
    > 7-11 and Posties.

    Motorola was at the same time as the Posties, too ... USPS
    grew out of the Suburu-Montgomery program run by Thom
    Weisel. They started under USPS auspices in 1996. Motorola's
    last year in the peloton was also 1996 under Jim Ochowicz's
    direction.

    Weisel's only connection to the 7-Eleven/Motorola
    organization was in hiring a number of the riders when
    Motorola stopped sponsoring and Ochowicz couldn't find
    another sponsor ... And then later hiring Jim Ochowicz as a
    financial planner/advisor/broker type.

    Ochowicz has had no connection to the Suburu-Montgomery/Montgomery-
    Bell/USPS organization.

    Saying that USPS and Motorola are the same team is like
    saying that the 1960 Washington Senators (which moved to
    Minnesota and became the Twins in 1961) are the same team as
    the 1961 Washington Senators (an expansion team that moved
    to Texas and became the Rangers in 1972).

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
    at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

  18. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    I'm jumping in late on this, so pardon me if its been said,
    but how about time "bonification."

    My wife even loved that one.

    Wayne