Bob Roll-ism

Richard Longwoo

Guest
Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second "BONUFICATION"
for being the first guy across the line.

Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?

What's going on here anyway???

pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the French
word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being cool and
local. (Who is Roll ?)
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

"Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> a écrit
dans le message
de :news:[email protected]...

"Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second
> "BONUFICATION" for being the first guy across the line.
>
> Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?
>
> What's going on here anyway???

He must have picked it up from Liggett, 1990 TDF (that's the
only one I remember). I thought I also remember Sean Kelly
using that "word", but who knows because there are too many
Irish racers to keep track and I get confused.

end sarcasm.

Saying his was Phil L's replacement to someone in Paris
France was probably not an answer.

Bob Roll is an ex-racer who is now, along with Phil Ligget,
TV commentators for the one network that shows bike races in
the US market.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:xFX4-
c.20086$%[email protected]...

> "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
> > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
> > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
>
> Phil L's eventual replacement.

"SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the French
> word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being cool and
> local. (Who is Roll ?)

Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I believe
the early US Posties as well. Presetnly he is one of hte
announcers on OLN for bicycle racing. He's a pretty neat
guy but he tries to keep a drugged-out attitide about
everything as his unique personal slant and sort of his trade-
mark. But as he is losing more and more hair it is becoming
plain that he can't carry it for too much longer without
looking like a fool.

He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
unusual among announcers in English so I really like to see
him announcing at the Tour, the Giro (where he was
instrumental in helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage
that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87) and any other race
where he doesn't try to act over-clever.

"SprintAtBettyRussells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Richard Longwood" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Bob Roll said that Vino would get a 10 second
> > "BONUFICATION" for being
the
> > first guy across the line.
> >
> > Does... BONUs + magniFICATION = BONUFICATION?
> >
> > What's going on here anyway???
>
> He must have picked it up from Liggett, 1990 TDF (that's
> the only one I remember). I thought I also remember Sean
> Kelly using that "word", but who knows because there are
> too many Irish racers to keep track and I get confused.

Don't know none a' dem firen languages I take it?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:42:02 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
> helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage that won Andy and
> 7-11 the Giro in '87

Erik Breukink won that stage.

Didn't Hampsten win in 88, not 87?

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Don't know none a' dem firen languages I take it?

In 1990? No. How could I concentrate on a foreign
languange when I too busy worrying about why I wasn't
growing any pubes?

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:42:02 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage that won Andy
> > and 7-11 the Giro in '87
>
> Erik Breukink won that stage.

And it was '88, not '87. Stephen Roche won the Giro in '87,
then went on to win the Tour and the Worlds as well.

--
Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

On 15 Mar 2004 07:28:21 -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
>> Erik Breukink won that stage.
>
> And it was '88, not '87.

Of course, sorry.

> On 15 Mar 2004 07:28:21 -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> >> Erik Breukink won that stage.
> >
> > And it was '88, not '87.
>
> Of course, sorry.

I was tired yesterday after a fast ride. True, Breukink won
the stage but it was Andy's second place that won him the
Giro and Bob's carrying him up a jacket and pacing him that
led to Andy's first to the top. BTW, Andy is a small guy and
couldn't descend like Breukink who was pretty big
comparitively. Not to mention that Andy knew that he cold
lose it all by slipping on the ice on the way down.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:54:51 GMT, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Andy's first to the top.

Johan van de Velde was first at the top, but couldn't
continue from hypothermia. He spent 15 minutes or so in a
campervan, which finally took off with him still in it; they
stopped a few hundred meters from the finish in a dead
corner, Johan jumped out and finished... You're right that
Hampsten passed the pass before Breukink.

> "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
> > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
> > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
>
> Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I believe
> the early US Posties as well.

Never on USPS, we was dumped when Motorola took over from
7-11. He went from 7-11 to mountain biking IIRC. I don't
think he did any pro road races after 7-11 dropped him. He
may have done a bit of the US crit circuit before switching
to mountain bikes.

Presetnly he is one of hte announcers on OLN for bicycle
> racing. He's a pretty neat guy but he tries to keep a drugged-
> out attitide about everything as his unique personal slant
> and sort of his trade-mark. But as he is losing more and
> more hair it is becoming plain that he can't carry it for
> too much longer without looking like a fool.
>
> He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
> unusual among announcers in English so I really like to
> see him announcing at the Tour, the Giro (where he was
> instrumental in helping Andy Hampsten win the Giro stage
> that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87)

Roche won overall in 1987 and Andy won in 1988. Roll was an
important man for the Swiss Tour (Romandie actually I think)
and for the Giro that year ('88). Roll crashed out of the
Tour (or just before?) that year after flying all spring.

>and any other race where he doesn't try to act over-clever.

He never acted "over-clever" while racing, it was only his
remarks afterwards that lead to his "character".

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
> [email protected]...
> > "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > pronunciation apart, the race is in France, and the
> > > French word is "bonification". I guess Roll was being
> > > cool and local. (Who is Roll ?)
> >
> > Bob Roll was a domestique on the 7-11 squad and I
> > believe the early US Posties as well.
>
> Never on USPS, we was dumped when Motorola took over from
> 7-11. He went
from
> 7-11 to mountain biking IIRC. I don't think he did any pro
> road races
after
> 7-11 dropped him. He may have done a bit of the US crit
> circuit before switching to mountain bikes.

Actually he raced with Motorola in 1991 in Europe. Again
with the too-little-sleep. Forgot Motorola was in-between
7-11 and Posties.

> > Presetnly he is one of the announcers on OLN for bicycle
> > racing. He's a pretty neat guy but he tries to keep a
> > drugged-out
attitide
> > about everything as his unique personal slant and sort
> > of his
trade-mark.
> > But as he is losing more and more hair it is becoming
> > plain that he
can't
> > carry it for too much longer without looking like
> > a fool.
> >
> > He is actually very intelligent and observant. That is
> > unusual among announcers in English so I really like to
> > see him announcing at the
Tour,
> > the Giro (where he was instrumental in helping Andy
> > Hampsten win the
Giro
> > stage that won Andy and 7-11 the Giro in '87)
>
> Roche won overall in 1987 and Andy won in 1988. Roll was
> an important man for the Swiss Tour (Romandie actually I
> think) and for the Giro that year ('88). Roll crashed out
> of the Tour (or just before?) that year after
flying
> all spring.

I think someone sent him a picture of me and told him I was
a stalker. I was thinking of making faces at him while he
was taping a segment at the Sea Otter two years ago and he
just looked up the hill at me standing behind the cameras
and lost it. I never even got a chance to make that face. I
think that he and I are on the same wavelength.

> >and any other race where he doesn't try to act over-
> >clever.
>
> He never acted "over-clever" while racing, it was only his
> remarks afterwards that lead to his "character".

I meant when he's announcing. I really enjoy his playing
around with languages without any self conciousness that
many Americans would feel in this day and age about
mispronouncing French or Italian words.

Bobke's great.

On 03/19/2004 07:43 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Actually he raced with Motorola in 1991 in Europe. Again
> with the too-little-sleep. Forgot Motorola was in-between
> 7-11 and Posties.

Motorola was at the same time as the Posties, too ... USPS
grew out of the Suburu-Montgomery program run by Thom
Weisel. They started under USPS auspices in 1996. Motorola's
last year in the peloton was also 1996 under Jim Ochowicz's
direction.

Weisel's only connection to the 7-Eleven/Motorola
organization was in hiring a number of the riders when
Motorola stopped sponsoring and Ochowicz couldn't find
another sponsor ... And then later hiring Jim Ochowicz as a
financial planner/advisor/broker type.

Ochowicz has had no connection to the Suburu-Montgomery/Montgomery-
Bell/USPS organization.

Saying that USPS and Motorola are the same team is like
saying that the 1960 Washington Senators (which moved to
Minnesota and became the Twins in 1961) are the same team as
the 1961 Washington Senators (an expansion team that moved
to Texas and became the Rangers in 1972).

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

I'm jumping in late on this, so pardon me if its been said,
but how about time "bonification."

My wife even loved that one.

Wayne