@%!#$ Bob Roll

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike S., May 15, 2003.

  1. Chris Hughes

    Chris Hughes Guest

    Bob Roll is right up there with John Madden, I love both of them. Chris "Mike S."

  2. On Fri, 16 May 2003 04:08:50 GMT, Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You're being over analytical. Just seeing Bob Roll sitting at the summer sportzone desk with that
    >silly grin on his face puts me in a good mood.
    >
    >Bret

    At least he doesn't have those stupid mutton-chops anymore.

    ---
    Kelly Beard, a.k.a. Mr. K.V.B. Liar

  3. Marianne

    Marianne Guest

    > Roll is da man, Liggett is great but Bob keeps it real!

    i *love* Bob Roll - he's great! and his commercials on OLN this past week have been absolutely
    hysterical! i think the puppy dog analogy is perfect, he adds exuberance to the show - & his love of
    cycling is so obvious!

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I really wish he'd learn how to speak! All those run-on sentences
    are
    > really getting on my %#$% nerves.
    >
    > Yeah, I know he knows a lot about racing, etc. but every time he
    opens his
    > mouth, I'm tempted to mute the TV. I don't want to miss Phil and
    Paul, so I

    #1 - you can understand the words he says. 2 - he is the only bicycle commentator with a real sense
    #of humor 3 - he looks like a regular guy 4 - what don't you try being a commentator and see how
    #easy it is. I
    tried it when I was racing motorcycles and it ain't as easy as it looks. 3 out of 4 (run-on
    sentences) ain't bad if you compare him to Sean (He's the King) Kelly (I know he's trying to talk to
    me, I just KNOW it) or that other commentator on the English stations.

  5. > #1 - you can understand the words he says.
    Yep.
    > #2 - he is the only bicycle commentator with a real sense of humor
    Yep.
    > #3 - he looks like a regular guy
    Maybe it's better said that he doesn't look 'made for television.' Still, you're right.
    > #4 - what don't you try being a commentator and see how easy it is. I
    > tried it when I was racing motorcycles and it ain't as easy as it looks. 3 out of 4 (run-on
    > sentences) ain't bad if you compare him to Sean (He's the King) Kelly (I know he's trying to talk
    > to me, I just KNOW it) or that other commentator on the English stations.
    Yep. The English guy is pretty bad.

    You hit the nail on the head on all points. Bob's paid his dues and make me feel comfortable, if in
    a dorky way. Bob rules. Also, I really enjoy the Summer Sportszone. He does a solid job there. If we
    can keep the other guy from trying to be the smart alec cool guy, it'd be even better.

    Just an opinion. -Kristin

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    You know Nev, it's really interesting to read your messages. Yeah, really.

    news:p[email protected]...

    @%!#$
    > > at his run-on sentences.
    >
    > yeah -- the dog analogy makes sense, though it might be because I
    expect
    > to see him drooling or sniffing Phil's ass. And he isn't quite so annoying during this Giro so far
    > as he has been in the past -- maybe
    they
    > are keeping a tight leash on him.
    >
    > And I don't think they are run on sentences -- more like
    half-completed
    > thoughts. Just when you think he is about to say something
    interesting he
    > shifts to another topic, and babbles on and on, sprinkling in
    worn-out
    > cliches, and ends up saying nothing at all.
    >
    > I think they ought to dump him and get a cute skirt in there so it
    won't
    > be such a sausage fest. I nominate Heather for the job.
    >
    > NS

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I saw Bob in person. He IS the smart alec cool guy. Who else would ride a bicycle through the scene
    exclaiming in Italian?

    ROLL RULES.

  8. "Robert Chung" < wrote in message >
    > If you gagged him, the newspaper headline would read "Roll, tied."

    That joke was bad at half the Price.

    -Chris Mitchell

  9. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    > >From: Nev Shea [email protected]
    >
    > >I think they ought to dump him and get a cute skirt in there so it won't be such a sausage fest.
    > >I nominate Heather for the job.
    > >
    > >NS
    >
    > Heather would be at least as interesting and a whole lot more fun to look
    at.
    > Let's face it Bobke looks a lot like a pug. Bill C

    Yeah, Heather is a fox! :)

    Hawke

  10. Urbancyclist

    Urbancyclist Guest

    On 16 May 2003 10:01:43 -0700, [email protected] (marianne) wrote:

    >> Roll is da man, Liggett is great but Bob keeps it real!
    >
    >i *love* Bob Roll - he's great! and his commercials on OLN this past week have been absolutely
    >hysterical! i think the puppy dog analogy is perfect, he adds exuberance to the show - & his love
    >of cycling is so obvious!

    Il Vecchio Bobcchi and Roberto Pannini are awesome!

  11. Bob Ruark

    Bob Ruark Guest

    To disrespect Roll is a great mistake. There is no better qualified person to discuss racing on any
    level than Roll. His chummy good-natured sense of humor and lengthy explanations are innocent and
    pure of heart.

    Someone was bright enough to point out the past tour commentators/type of coverage. We have a great
    amount of cycling today, some even live! What else do you want?

  12. Dave Beal

    Dave Beal Guest

  13. Darren S.

    Darren S. Guest

    "Bob Ruark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > To disrespect Roll is a great mistake. There is no better qualified person to discuss racing on
    > any level than Roll. His chummy good-natured sense of humor and lengthy explanations are innocent
    > and pure of heart.
    >
    > Someone was bright enough to point out the past tour commentators/type of coverage. We have a
    > great amount of cycling today, some even live! What else do you want?

    I agree, Bob's great! I wouldn't want to listen to him doing all the commentary himself, but he
    makes a great team with Phil and Paul.

    D.

    ---