Bob Trailers?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Brian Sculac, May 5, 2003.

  1. Brian Sculac

    Brian Sculac Guest

    Anyone use these on an extensive ride? I'm planning a ride next summer from Vancouver, BC to Los
    Angeles and was contemplating a BobTrailer instead of the Panniers. Any thoughts?

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. Www.Raph.Nl

    Www.Raph.Nl Guest

    Brian Sculac wrote:
    > Anyone use these on an extensive ride? I'm planning a ride next summer from Vancouver, BC to Los
    > Angeles and was contemplating a BobTrailer instead of the Panniers. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Brian

    Hi Brian,

    Do it! See www.raph.nl/usa-1995 for a report of a trip with a BOB trailer. I am the guy with the
    panniers, but I really would have liked to have a BOB back then. I bought one after the trip. If you
    plan on flying with the setup, check with the airline and/or visit www.bikeaccess.net

    CU!

    Raph www.raph.nl

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I've traveled with my "Bob" as well as with panniers. The Bob is great - especially for bumpy
    rides or remote rides where you need lots of gear. On at trip like Vancouver to LA, I'd probably
    try to pack fairly light and just use panniers. You won't need tons of gear for that ride and you
    do need to consider the 25 or so extra pounds that the Bob weighs as well as the reduced mobility
    of the bike.

    I've pedaled the section of the PCH between SF and LA and it is a spectacular ride. Enjoy!

    -Dan

    "Brian Sculac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone use these on an extensive ride? I'm planning a ride next summer
    from
    > Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles and was contemplating a BobTrailer instead of the Panniers. Any
    > thoughts?
    >
    > Brian

  4. Dave M Wyman

    Dave M Wyman Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > You won't need tons of gear for that ride and you do need to consider the 25 or so extra pounds
    > that the Bob weighs as well as the reduced mobility of the bike.

    My BOB weighs in at 14 pounds.

    Dave http://www.icyclist.com

  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Yeah, I guess i was recalling the "boxed weight" which includes the "Yak Sack" dry bag that came
    with my BOB. I figure that if you consider the weight of a set of water-resistant panniers versus
    the bob with dry bag(s), you're probably adding at least 10 pounds. Not a huge deal, but it adds up
    over all those hills on the PCH.

    news:[email protected]...