Body Armor Question and 661 Sp-1Question

Rad

Guest
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone uses or owns the 661 SP-1 Body
Armor? I'm just curios to see how it holds out and how warm
it gets wearing it. You see, my wife knows that I will try
crazy stuff when doing regualr cross country MBing and now
that I have a baby boy, she has nightmares of him being a
******* because of my desire for trying stupid things.
SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in one
condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and wear
it! Great deal for me!

I was just curious as to how it fits because I have NO IDEA
what size to get. Jensonusa.com has them for a pretty good
price. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 158 lbs. I guess I should
just measure my chest. WEll I hope someone can give me some
advice. I'm looking at knee/shin gurads too. (My choice
because I DO LOVE to play soccer too!) Thanks for putting up
with my questions, I'm sure some of you shake your head in
disbelief, but...riding a Diamondback for 2 years shows my
inexperience with all the technical stuff. I do love riding
though! Thasnk again.

Radley

Rad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses or owns the 661 SP-1 Body
> Armor? I'm just curios to see how it holds out and how
> warm it gets wearing it. You see, my wife knows that I
> will try crazy stuff when doing regualr cross country
> MBing and now that I have a baby boy, she has nightmares
> of him being a ******* because

if you are married, the kid will never be a *******, tho if
you hit a tree he might become fatherless.

of my desire for trying
> stupid things.

She does have a point you know.

SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in one
> condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and wear
> it! Great deal for me!
>
> I was just curious as to how it fits because I have NO
> IDEA what size to get. Jensonusa.com has them for a pretty
> good price. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 158 lbs. I guess I
> should just measure my chest. WEll I hope someone can give
> me some advice. I'm looking at knee/shin gurads too. (My
> choice because I DO LOVE to play soccer too!) Thanks for
> putting up with my questions, I'm sure some of you shake
> your head in disbelief, but...riding a Diamondback for 2
> years shows my inexperience with all the technical stuff.
> I do love riding though! Thasnk again.

Perhaps it's time to take a technical skills course, and
learn how to do thing correctly, instead just hurling your
self down the trail in a testosterone poisoned fashion. A
skills course could significantly reduce your chances of could-have-been-prevented-if-wasn't-for-my-desire-to-try-
stupid-things type accidents.

As for knees, I have the 611 4x4 setup and I really like it

Penny

Rad wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses or owns the 661 SP-1 Body
> Armor? I'm just curios to see how it holds out and how
> warm it gets wearing it. You see, my wife knows that I
> will try crazy stuff when doing regualr cross country
> MBing and now that I have a baby boy, she has nightmares
> of him being a ******* because of my desire for trying
> stupid things. SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in
> one condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and
> wear it! Great deal for me!
>
> I was just curious as to how it fits because I have NO
> IDEA what size to get. Jensonusa.com has them for a pretty
> good price. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 158 lbs. I guess I
> should just measure my chest. WEll I hope someone can give
> me some advice. I'm looking at knee/shin gurads too. (My
> choice because I DO LOVE to play soccer too!) Thanks for
> putting up with my questions, I'm sure some of you shake
> your head in disbelief, but...riding a Diamondback for 2
> years shows my inexperience with all the technical stuff.
> I do love riding though! Thasnk again.
>
> Radley

Well, one of my riding buddies has the 661 chest/back
protector. He has the same complaint that I've heard from
just about everyone else; the kidney belt sits way too high.
Unless you have an extremely short trunk, you might want to
look around and try them on.

BTW, tell your wife in order to be really safe, you need one
of these too http://www.go-
ride.com/frames/turner/2004/dhr.jpg

--
Slacker

On 2004-06-24, Rad penned:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses or owns the 661 SP-1 Body
> Armor? I'm just curios to see how it holds out and how
> warm it gets wearing it. You see, my wife knows that I
> will try crazy stuff when doing regualr cross country
> MBing and now that I have a baby boy, she has nightmares
> of him being a ******* because of my desire for trying
> stupid things. SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in
> one condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and
> wear it! Great deal for me!
>
> I was just curious as to how it fits because I have NO
> IDEA what size to get. Jensonusa.com has them for a pretty
> good price. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 158 lbs. I guess I
> should just measure my chest. WEll I hope someone can give
> me some advice. I'm looking at knee/shin gurads too. (My
> choice because I DO LOVE to play soccer too!) Thanks for
> putting up with my questions, I'm sure some of you shake
> your head in disbelief, but...riding a Diamondback for 2
> years shows my inexperience with all the technical stuff.
> I do love riding though! Thasnk again.

I have no idea what kinds of stuff you ride, but maybe you
could get her into riding, too. A lot of times, a
spouse/s.o. gets nervous about an activity just because they
don't understand it, and so it sounds scarier than it is.

Then again, maybe you ride stuff that necessitates that
level of protection. God knows I can tear myself up just
walking down the steps.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> On 2004-06-24, Rad penned:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone uses or owns the 661 SP-1 Body
>>Armor? I'm just curios to see how it holds out and how
>>warm it gets wearing it. You see, my wife knows that I
>>will try crazy stuff when doing regualr cross country
>>MBing and now that I have a baby boy, she has nightmares
>>of him being a ******* because of my desire for trying
>>stupid things. SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in
>>one condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and
>>wear it! Great deal for me!
>>
>>I was just curious as to how it fits because I have NO
>>IDEA what size to get. Jensonusa.com has them for a pretty
>>good price. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 158 lbs. I guess I
>>should just measure my chest. WEll I hope someone can give
>>me some advice. I'm looking at knee/shin gurads too. (My
>>choice because I DO LOVE to play soccer too!) Thanks for
>>putting up with my questions, I'm sure some of you shake
>>your head in disbelief, but...riding a Diamondback for 2
>>years shows my inexperience with all the technical stuff.
>>I do love riding though! Thasnk again.
>

> I have no idea what kinds of stuff you ride, but maybe
> you could get her into riding, too. A lot of times, a
> spouse/s.o. gets nervous about an activity just
> because they don't understand it, and so it sounds
> scarier than it is.
>
> Then again, maybe you ride stuff that necessitates that
> level of protection. God knows I can tear myself up just
> walking down the steps.

Moni, Moni... the chick has to stay home to take care of the
little tike.

So insensitive.
--
Slacker

On 2004-06-24, Slacker penned:

> Moni, Moni... the chick has to stay home to take care of
> the little tike.
>
> So insensitive.

Good reason not to have kids ... or dogs, for that matter.
Eric and I can do what we want, when we want.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

> On 2004-06-24, Slacker penned:
>

>>Moni, Moni... the chick has to stay home to take care of
>>the little tike.
>>
>>So insensitive.
>

> Good reason not to have kids ... or dogs, for that matter.
> Eric and I can do what we want, when we want.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. But I would add a spouse
to your list ;-)

--
Slacker

Fatherless. ******* is a child born out of wedlock.

> SO..she has allowed me to buy a new bike in one
> condition..I get body armor a full cover helmet and wear
> it! Great deal for me!

Er, right. If you say so...

Riding a downhill race in full armour a full face is not
exactly the most comfortable thing in the world. Riding a
couple of hours XC in that kit is something I'd never
contemplate.

Body armour is not an invincibility suit. It will stop you
getting nasty bruises and cuts, and in some cases, it may
even save the odd broken bone. However, if you crash hard
enough, it won't make that much of a difference. The best
way that you can save yourself from serious injury is to
ride within your limits.

I would suggest trying to come to some sort of compromise
with yourself and your missus. When you do XC, ride in
normal gear and stay well within your limits. One day a
month, or whatever, pull on the armour and do shuttle runs
to satisfy your unhinged side.

Thanks for the advice and pointers guys. I would LOVE to
take a skills course while I'm on vacation here in the
states. Unfortunately, I don't know where to look here in
Virginia. I've asked at the all the LBS listed in the area,
and they always just gave me information on trails. I'll
probably call up NOrhtern Virginia since I know there HAS to
be something since the Apalachian Mountains run through the
states. Thanks again for the pointers and funny remarks
along the way.

PLUS...I'd like to give a shout out to Mon who answers a lot
of my questions and a triple phatty shout out to Slacker who
reminded Mon someone had to stay homw to watch the future
MBer boy ;D

Radley

On 2004-06-24, Slacker penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>
>> Good reason not to have kids ... or dogs, for that
>> matter. Eric and I can do what we want, when we want.
>>

> Hey, you're preaching to the choir. But I would add a
> spouse to your list ;-)

We all have to choose where we draw the line =)

--
monique

Try www.more-mtb.org I think it covers that area

> PLUS...I'd like to give a shout out to Mon who answers a
> lot of my questions and a triple phatty shout out to
> Slacker who reminded Mon someone had to stay homw to watch
> the future MBer boy ;D
>
> Radley

well I hope you stay home and parent your own kid sometime,
and just don't leave it up to mom all the time.

penny

On 2004-06-24, pas penned:
> Rad wrote:
>
>> PLUS...I'd like to give a shout out to Mon who answers a
>> lot of my questions and a triple phatty shout out to
>> Slacker who reminded Mon someone had to stay homw to
>> watch the future MBer boy ;D
>>

> well I hope you stay home and parent your own kid
> sometime, and just don't leave it up to mom all the time.

Indeed.

--
monique