Body Fat Estimation?

DancenMacabre

Jul 17, 2009
Kinda oddball question but here goes.

Is there a way to semi-reliably estimate your body fat percent??? I have one of those electro impedence scales. It is good at telling me my weight but the body fat percentages can vary 10% over a few hours. Somehow I dont think I packed on or lost 11 body fat percent points by walking to/from the post office. Plus what I found online about those scales is that they are super inaccurate for fat percentage. Gotta say though the body fat % number as shown on the scale has been going down steadily since I started bike riding this summer. So overall, the scale is great for telling me my weight with the bonus of being a handy, if expensive, paperweight.

So how can you estimate body fat if the scale is obviously wack? I remember the hella old school pinch calipers they used during those fitness tests in grade school but the numbers were all over the place.

What body fat percentage does it take to be able to see your ab muscles visibly? I can see mine, about 5-6 of them, clearly defined + some on the side of those if I tighten the muscles. Gotta think there must be some level of body fat percentage that you cannot exceed to see your abs.

About 12% is enough to let the abs show. Might be wrong, but it's what i've read somewhere.

Thanks for all the feedback!! After looking at all the material, figure I'm btwn. 10-15%, not quite 10, but less than 15. Pretty neat stuff though - all thanks to tons of biking :D