Body fat measurements

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by artnolis, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. artnolis

    artnolis Guest

    Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can
    go and what the best way

    Thank'

    -

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    artnolis wrote:
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can i
    > go and what the best way?
    >
    > Thank's

    I know of three ways to do this:

    (1) Some bathroom scales measure your % body fat by passing a (small)
    current through your body (each foot has a separate electrode). They
    cost upwards of $100 to buy (Target has them) or some places let you
    stand on them for a fee (the squash courts in Lane Cove [Sydney] used to
    let you do this for about $2).

    (2) You get immersed in a tank of water and your displacement is
    measured. Comparing this to your weight on dry land gives your % body fat.

    (3) A qualified person pinches you all over with a pair of plastic
    calipers. I've had this done and it's only mildly uncomfortable.

    Sadly I have no idea how accurate these methods are either in absolute
    terms or relative to each other. Maybe the only sure-fire way is to boil
    you down into your component parts and skim the fat off the top, but
    that's a somewhat invasive procedure. :)

    HTH,

    &roo

  3. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:00:00 GMT, artnolis
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can i
    >go and what the best way?
    >
    >Thank's

    Most gyms have the equipment, assuming the hand held through the body
    reading. Have een having regular readings every two months for
    about two years.

    Try City Gym, Light Sq, City.

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Anthony wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:00:00 GMT, artnolis <usenet-
    > [email protected]> wrote:
    > >Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can i
    > >go and what the best way?
    > >
    > >Thank's

    > Most gyms have the equipment, assuming the hand held through the body
    > reading. Have een having regular readings every two months for about
    > two years.
    > Try City Gym, Light Sq, City.

    There are electronic methods/machines (maltrones?) about tha
    most trainers/gyms should have or at least can point you in th
    right directio

    -

  5. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "artnolis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can i
    > go and what the best way?
    >
    > Thank's

    For me, I jump on the scales and deduct 10% for bone weight...

    --
    Alan Erskine
    We can get people to the Moon in five years,

  6. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "artnolis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA Where can i
    > go and what the best way?

    Immersion is the best way but few places are set up for it. Skin-fold
    calipers are very accurate if the person using them is trained properly.
    BIA is accurate if used properly.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in news:VUGjc.1469$TT.681
    @news-server.bigpond.net.au:

    > For me, I jump on the scales and deduct 10% for bone weight...

    It might work for yo if your weight is fairly static. However if you stack
    on twenty kilos, does that mean you bones weigh an extra two kilos? :)

    Graeme (needing to shed a few kilos myself :-(