Body fat measurements

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by artnolis, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. artnolis

    artnolis New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2004
    Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA
    Where can i go and what the best way?

    Thank's

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    artnolis wrote:
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA
    > Where can i go and what the best way?
    >
    > Thank's

    I know of three ways to do this:

    (1) Some bathroom scales measure your % body fat by passing
    a (small) current through your body (each foot has a
    separate electrode). They cost upwards of $100 to buy
    (Target has them) or some places let you stand on them
    for a fee (the squash courts in Lane Cove [Sydney] used
    to let you do this for about $2).

    (2) You get immersed in a tank of water and your
    displacement is measured. Comparing this to your weight
    on dry land gives your % body fat.

    (3) A qualified person pinches you all over with a pair of
    plastic calipers. I've had this done and it's only
    mildly uncomfortable.

    Sadly I have no idea how accurate these methods are either
    in absolute terms or relative to each other. Maybe the only
    sure-fire way is to boil you down into your component parts
    and skim the fat off the top, but that's a somewhat invasive
    procedure. :)

    HTH,

    &roo

  3. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:00:00 GMT, artnolis
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA
    >Where can i go and what the best way?
    >
    >Thank's
    Most gyms have the equipment, assuming the hand held through
    the body reading. Have een having regular readings every two
    months for about two years.

    Try City Gym, Light Sq, City.

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    There are electronic methods/machines (maltrones?) about that most trainers/gyms should have or at least can point you in the right direction

  5. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "artnolis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA
    > Where can i go and what the best way?
    >
    > Thank's

    For me, I jump on the scales and deduct 10% for bone
    weight...

    --
    Alan Erskine We can get people to the Moon in five years,
    not the fifteen GWB proposes. Give NASA a real challenge

  6. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "artnolis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Need my body fat measured by a prefessional in Adelaide SA
    > Where can i go and what the best way?

    Immersion is the best way but few places are set up for it.
    Skin-fold calipers are very accurate if the person using
    them is trained properly. BIA is accurate if used properly.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in news:VUGjc.1469$TT.681
    @news-server.bigpond.net.au:

    > For me, I jump on the scales and deduct 10% for bone
    > weight...

    It might work for yo if your weight is fairly static.
    However if you stack on twenty kilos, does that mean you
    bones weigh an extra two kilos? :)

    Graeme (needing to shed a few kilos myself :-(