Body Geometry Fitting

BikeDemon

Feb 1, 2012
I have been road cycling for about 2 years, and feel pretty comfortable on the bike. Just wondering if it's worth spending 250 bones for a 2 hour professional fitting session. We have a an LBS that uses the Retul system, and there's a Specialized dealer about an hour away that is trained on their Body Geometry Fitting.
Has anyone ever done an extensive fitting, and if so, was the benefit noticeable, i.e. worth the money?
I have just always tweaked things here and there to make subtle improvements until things felt they were right.

Do you race or intend to?

Do you have any pains associated with being on the bike for a long time?

I could see myself doing some time-trials at some point. I don't really have any joint pain. I have occasional numbness in the forefoot after about an hour of riding, as well as in my wobbly bits, although I have recently bought a new saddle and tweaked the angle to minimize that. My motive is primarily to prevent future injury from improper position, as well as maximizing power I can generate. The way the dealers market their service is by claiming to drastically improve both comfort and power. Kind of along the lines of "you never knew what you were missing". I wonder if there is something to a more scientific approach to fitting, rather than tweaking until you are comfortable. I hate to drop that kind of money if it turns out I had everything adjusted correctly, and they just nudge the handlebars 2mm...

BikeDemon said:
I could see myself doing some time-trials at some point.  I don't really have any joint pain.  I have occasional numbness in the forefoot after about an hour of riding, as well as in my wobbly bits, although I have recently bought a new saddle and tweaked the angle to minimize that.  My motive is primarily to prevent future injury from improper position, as well as maximizing power I can generate.  The way the dealers market their service is by claiming to drastically improve both comfort and power.  Kind of along the lines of "you never knew what you were missing".  I wonder if there is something to a more scientific approach to fitting, rather than tweaking until you are comfortable.  I hate to drop that kind of money if it turns out I had everything adjusted correctly, and they just nudge the handlebars 2mm...
First, keep in mind that in order for the Retul and Body Geometry systems to work a good fitter is required. A bad fitter using Retul will still give bad results. It's the same with any fit system. With that said, you certainly don't have to race to want or need to get fitted. There are highish tech tools that can be used to fit (like Retul, Serotta's and Guru's fit bikes,....), but there is no scientific evidence that specifies how to do a fit or what the best fit looks like. Fitting is based on rider feedback (as in, "How does that feel?"), fit system philosophy, and the fitter's judgement. A good fit will make you more comfortable on the bike, especially on longer rides. A good fit may optimize your power output, if your best power output is coincident with the fit that provides you with the best comfort. There are times, though, when best power comes when the rider is in a position that can't be sustained for long periods. Usually, when looking for a fit that optimizes power, the best position is the one gives a position that is pretty comfortable and position in which your output is really good. It's a compromise. Also keep in mind, that a fit is also dependent on how you ride. Your best fit for 100 mile sportifs will be different than your best fit for 40k time trials. How far do you ride? Are you having any discomfort during any of your rides?

Alienator - thanks for the response. I currently ride between 20 and 30 miles, but would like to do longer rides and work up to a century. We have a local group that splits into sub groups according to average speed, and the one I ride in averages 21mph on 26 mile rides. There is a faster group that averages around 23, and I would like to work up to riding in that group next season. As I said, I don't have any real pain, but at times I have discomfort in the usual pressure areas. I guess I would like to know that I am working on reaching my potential and that I am not being held back by a poor fit, but rather hitting the limit of my natural ability and endurance when I ride.
It's an interesting point you make about being fitted specifically for the type of riding one does. I am concerned more about distance and comfort, but I also ride in the aero-position when I am by myself. Therefore I am looking for a compromise (as you said) that will accommodate my range of riding reasonably well. I don't expect to jump up to a 24mph average after a fitting, but rather just to know that I am fitted as well as I can be and not wasting energy while riding.

BikeDemon said:
Alienator - thanks for the response.  I currently ride between 20 and 30 miles, but would like to do longer rides and work up to a century.  We have a local group that splits into sub groups according to average speed, and the one I ride in averages 21mph on 26 mile rides.  There is a faster group that averages around 23, and I would like to work up to riding in that group next season.  As I said, I don't have any real pain, but at times I have discomfort in the usual pressure areas.  I guess I would like to know that I am working on reaching my potential and that I am not being held back by a poor fit, but rather hitting the limit of my natural ability and endurance when I ride. It's an interesting point you make about being fitted specifically for the type of riding one does.  I am concerned more about distance and comfort, but I also ride in the aero-position when I am by myself.  Therefore I am looking for a compromise (as you said) that will accommodate my range of riding reasonably well.  I don't expect to jump up to a 24mph average after a fitting, but rather just to know that I am fitted as well as I can be and not wasting energy while riding.
The kind of fit you want is the most common kind of fit I think. i asked about the length of the rides because a marginal fit or even a bad fit might not manifest any issues over 20 or 30 miles, but longer rides can really highlight fit issues. Also keep in mind when you do get fit that a fit is a starting point and isn't something that is fixed for the rest of your life. You may have to make slight adjustments after the fit, and it's possible you may need to go back to the fitter if ****les arise. It's also typical for a fit to change as you age and with injuries. You're at an advantage because you ride in a group or two, so I'd advise you to start by asking the people you ride with who they feel is the best fitter to see. Regarding Retul, I've never had it done, but they can do some pretty cool things, like match your fit to bikes that suit that fit the best. I'd like to give Retul a go just to see what it's about. The people that fit me (excellent job they did for me and for many others. Kudos to FWB) did old style (but notably not Gangnam style. Definitely not Gangnam style.), using tape measures, plum bobs, and eyeballs.

BikeDemon said:
Gangnam style?  What's that?
You're going to be sorry you asked: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/video]

If you are riding at the level you claim you should have an idea of what is wrong. Just make one adjustment at a time like you are doing and you will be OK.

Profesional fitting will give you a new saddle position and a new reach position. 250 bones for the session 69.99 for the longer stem and maybe they reposition your cleats. You will be rolling out with the same bike you rolled in.

If you are buying a brand new bike than the 250 bones would be worth the investment. Now you get the perfect frame and positioning and the new components will be included in the sale.

my 2 cents worth

Alienator - LOL - I gave my wife a Gangnam style fitting this morning! While I fail to see the connection to cycling/fitting, it was entertaining to say the least.

Davereo - thanks for your comment also. My bike is 8 months old, and the place I bought it from didn't really offer anything very detail oriented. 5 minutes on the trainer to adjust seat height and that's about it. Your opinion is exactly what I'm afraid of spending that kind of money. But the curiosity remains...