Body iron stores in healthy women.

Doe

Guest
JAMA. 2004 Feb 11;291(6):711-7. Related Articles, Links

Body iron stores in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in apparently healthy women.

Jiang R, Manson JE, Meigs JB, Ma J, Rifai N, Hu FB.

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA.
[email protected]

CONTEXT: Type 2 diabetes is a common manifestation of hemochromatosis, a disease of iron overload.
However, it is not clear whether higher iron stores predict the development of type 2 diabetes in a
healthy population. OBJECTIVE: To examine plasma ferritin concentration and the ratio of the
concentrations of transferrin receptors to ferritin in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes. DESIGN,
SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: Prospective nested case-control study within the Nurses' Health Study
cohort. Of the 32 826 women who provided blood samples during 1989-1990 and were free of diagnosed
diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer, 698 developed diabetes during 10 years of follow-up.
The controls (n = 716) were matched to cases on age, race, and fasting status; and on body mass
index (BMI) for cases in the top BMI decile. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Incident cases of type 2
diabetes. RESULTS: Among cases, the mean (SD) concentration of ferritin was significantly higher
(109 [105] vs 71.5 [68.7] ng/mL for controls; P<.001 for difference) and the mean (SD) ratio of
transferrin receptors to ferritin was significantly lower (102 [205] vs 141
[340], respectively; P =.01). In conditional logistic regression stratified on the matching factors
and controlled for BMI and other diabetes risk factors, the multivariate relative risks [RRs]
of incident type 2 diabetes across increasing quintiles of ferritin were 1.00, 1.09 (95%
confidence interval [CI], .70-1.70), 1.26 (95% CI, 0.82-1.95), 1.30 (95% CI, 0.83-2.04), and
2.68 (95% CI, 1.75-4.11) (P<.001 for trend). The RRs across increasing quintiles of transferrin
receptors to ferritin ratio were 2.44 (95% CI, 1.61-3.71), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.64-1.56), 1.13 (95%
CI, 0.73-1.74), 0.99 (95% CI, 0.64-1.53), and
340.1 (A=.01 for trend). Further adjustment for an inflammatory marker (C-reactive protein) did not
change the results appreciably. The associations persisted within strata defined by levels
of BMI, menopausal status, alcohol consumption, and C-reactive protein. CONCLUSION: Higher
iron stores (reflected by an elevated ferritin concentration and a lower ratio of
transferrin receptors to ferritin) are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes
in healthy women independent of known diabetes risk factors.

PMID: 14871914 [PubMed - in process]

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=4328316

> [...]
> confidence interval
>[CI], .70-1.70), 1.26 (95% CI, 0.82-1.95), 1.30 (95% CI, 0.83-2.04), and 2.68 (95% CI, 1.75-4.11)
> (P<.001 for trend). The RRs across increasing quintiles of transferrin receptors to ferritin
> ratio were 2.44 (95% CI, 1.61-3.71), 1.00 (95% CI, 0.64-1.56), 1.13 (95% CI, 0.73-1.74), 0.99
> (95% CI, 0.64-1.53), and
> 1.00 (P=.01 for trend). Further adjustment for an inflammatory marker (C-reactive protein) did not
> change the results appreciably. The associations persisted within strata defined by levels
> of BMI, menopausal status, alcohol consumption, and C-reactive protein. CONCLUSION: Higher
> iron stores (reflected by an elevated ferritin concentration and a lower ratio of
> transferrin receptors to ferritin) are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes
> in healthy women independent of known diabetes risk factors.

I have no problem with your sig line at all. But it, and the web links to your pages reveals the
religious motivation you have for your obsession for consuming iron and how you think it the root of
all manner of human problems. Thus, to understand why you are obsessed by iron related research and
why you take such umbrage and flame so easily those who clearly show the scientific part of your
thesis to have no scientific basis, one can not ignore the reason for your sig line and why you push
it and your links in all of your messages. Belive any religious idea you wish and post it when and
where you wish, but don't deny the sig line and what it means to you and your religious thesis. Be
prepared also to be confrounted by the distortions about Jesus it provides. We luv ya Tom.

>>Jesus ate flesh, made it possible for those around him to do so more easily, did so in a religious
>>context; killed animals, and consumed iron by the mouthful when he consumed ordinary foods that
>>were not flesh. Other then that, my friend Tom, you are correct.
>
>I thought there was MORE to .. you .. than giving a fk about your fellow man ..
>
>You are somehow obsessed by my sig line ..
>
>Take your stupidity over to altreligion .. ya .. friggin ..goof ..
>
>Who loves ya. Tom
>
>Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
>http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
>http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

>Subject: Re: Body iron stores in healthy women.
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 2/13/2004 12:53 PM Mountain Standard Time
>

>I have no problem with your sig line at all. But it, and the web links to your pages reveals the
>religious motivation you have for your obsession for consuming iron and how you think it the root
>of all manner of human problems. Thus, to understand why you are obsessed by iron related research
>and why you take such umbrage and flame so easily those who clearly show the scientific part of
>your thesis to have no scientific basis,

For someone who ADMITTINGLY doesn't EVEN FRIGGIN UNDERSTAND .. a simple medical study you sure use
the word .. scientific .. as if .. you understand ..

You are a poser ..

So .. again .. STFU ..

> one can not ignore the reason for your sig line

Yes you can ..

>and why you push it and your links in all of your messages.

Dig .. jrkff ..

I post medical studies ..

MEDICAL STUDIES ..

>Belive any religious idea you wish and post it when and where you wish, but don't deny the sig line
>and what it means to you and your religious thesis.

Like I said ..

MEDICAL newsgroup ..

Your comprehension extends far beyond .. science ..

>Be prepared also to be confrounted by the distortions about Jesus it provides.

Former Boy Scout ..

I AM .. prepared .. boy ..

> We luv ya Tom.

>>>Jesus ate flesh, made it possible for those around him to do so more easily, did so in a
>>>religious context; killed animals, and consumed iron by the mouthful when he consumed ordinary
>>>foods that were not flesh. Other then that, my friend Tom, you are correct.
>>
>>I thought there was MORE to .. you .. than giving a fk about your fellow man ..
>>
>>You are somehow obsessed by my sig line ..
>>
>>Take your stupidity over to altreligion .. ya .. friggin ..goof ..
>>
>>Who loves ya. Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Tom my friend, thank you for confirming once again in spades waht is easily to be seen. What you
post is often not medical but biochemistry, which can apply to many animal life forms. Tom you have
a specific religious thesis about the role of iron in human religious affairs, a personal revelation
based on private interpretation of scripture mixed in with some equally views about humans should
eat and why. All the articles you post is in support of that thesis. Your sig line is a comeon to
get people convinced of your thesis and eating habits, by using a provokative statement about a
religious figure. If the article you post, is not about iron, it is about the nutritional advantages
of a veggie diet or animals as food sources; all tie into your thesis. What part of the above is in
error Tom? What you post is .. NOT .. some innocent article you happen to run across and think folk
might find it amusing. They are a cut and paste job, selected only if it supports your thesis, and
ignoring any which is not; there is a name for that kind of behavior. We luvs ya Tom.

>Subject: Re: Body iron stores in healthy women.
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 2/13/2004 3:39 PM Mountain Standard Time
>
>Tom my friend, thank you for confirming once again in spades waht is easily to be seen. What you
>post is often not medical but biochemistry,

Of course IYHO .. biochemistry is mutually exclusive from .. medicine ..

>which can apply to many animal life forms.

Therefore IYHO .. mutually exclusive from .. medicine ..

>Tom you have a specific religious thesis about the role of iron in human religious affairs, a
>personal revelation based on private interpretation of scripture mixed in with some equally views
>about humans should eat and why. All the articles you post is in support of that thesis.

Your comprehension isn't quite as bad as I figured ..

>Your sig line is a comeon to get people convinced of your thesis and eating habits, by using a
>provokative statement about a religious figure.

PETA snagged it up and became the "best campaign in their histrory .."

Seems MY abilities at RECOGNIZING potential avenues ARE .. hmmm .. what would be the word
to use .. ?

Impeccable .. ?

> If the article you post, is not about iron, it is about the nutritional advantages of a veggie
> diet or animals as food sources; all tie into your thesis.

Jeez .. I wonder why I would do .. that ..

>What part of the above is in error Tom?

Your comprehension sometimes is .. impeccable .. ?

>What you post is .. NOT .. some innocent article you happen to run across and think folk might find
>it amusing.

I don't find a whole fkg lot about medical newsgroups or disease .. amusing ..

YOU .. do .. ?

>They are a cut and paste job, selected only if it supports your thesis, and ignoring any which is
>not; there is a name for that kind of behavior.

Yep .. and it is .. elaboration .. ?

> We luvs ya Tom.

That would be those 'others' .. inside of you .. who DON'T seem to have the comprehension .. this
one .. has just shown .. ?