Body sock OR faster bike?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert Siegel, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Earlier, I e-mailed Mark Milam the following question. Then I realized that others on this NG might
    have interesting views.

    My question boils down to this:

    Should I get a fairing for my Ti Rush ... or ... should I buy a 2nd "fast-only" bike like a Corsa or
    Vision R-65? (Assuming that I can afford
    it.)

    After six months I find my GRR Ti Rush absolutely superb in terms of comfort, handling, ease of use
    and overall enjoyment ... and it provides a reasonably fast (for this engine) ride. So .... I have
    been thinking about a body sock for the Rush. (Even though I ride in North Central Florida, which
    can get very hot and humid between May and October.)

    BUT ... I have a hunch a 2nd bike for faster rides might be a better solution. Here's where my
    thinking is at this point:

    1. I really liked my P-38 XT a whole lot but I believe the Bacchetta Corsa/Aero and Vision R-65/68
    designs have surpassed the P-38's somewhat dated design and componentry.

    2. I test rode an Aero (probably too briefly) and at first blush I did NOT like the very high, very
    laid back seat. Sitting on the Aero, I felt a lot like I did on my former quazi-low racer with a
    very laid back seat, the Challenge Taifun. A bit too laid back, twitchy and nervous (for me,
    anyhow) are words that come to mind.

    3. My test ride of the new 2002 650c wheeled Vision R-64 was much more favorable than the Aero in
    terms of comfort, balance, whatever. Also, I suspect the R-64/65/68's speed "loss" to the Aero
    is NOT major. Maybe 5% ? Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast
    enough for me".

    So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.

    Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    Tags:

  2. Gator Bob, am I to assume you have no fairing on your GRR Ti at present? You might want to try a
    fairing first (One designed for the sock - if you seriously are looking to move in that direction)
    and see what happens. How much faster do you want to go? Your GRR Ti (Like mine) is no SLOUCH. Is
    this a self / alone performance issue or do you plan to be riding with others including those
    friendly. DF cyclists.

    Yes, the Aero and Corsa M5 seat tends to lay you back more; but you can adjust the seat to be more
    upright. There is a difference in the front BB height that you should also be aware of. (Old news,
    I'm sure you already know the difference) If you found the Vision to your liking, than why not get
    some more test ride mileage out of it?

    I'm looking forward to my Aero (Still keeping my GRR Ti of course) but realize there will be some
    learning curve to it. I'm honestly looking for better TT time results, than overall flat out speed
    results. I like the fact that I'll be pushing a bike that has LIGHT WEIGHT components that will
    allow me to give it my best, when riding. And YES, I'm still hoping to be able to hang (At least in
    the neighborhood) with some of the faster Dfer's I ride with on the weekends. The duel 26 wheels
    will also allow me to use some HED wheels that I've always wanted to try.

    I'd seriously go with what you feel good with Bob and if a little lighter bike will enhance your
    cycling pleasure, GO FOR IT! You only roll once around this world.

    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...>
    > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    >

    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  3. I have the standard GRR ZZipper fairing from Easy Racers. It is excellent and makes a considerable
    speed and effort difference, especially riding into a headwind.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gator Bob, am I to assume you have no fairing on your GRR Ti at present?

  4. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Gator, Based on your messages here over a year or more, I get the impression that your Ti Rush is
    the best bike for you. You have tried many others, and still like your GRR best. If that is correct,
    and your objective is to increase speed, then work on going faster on your GRR. You know that
    conditioning is the main element to speed improvement. So develop a speed training program. Also,
    since muscle development is so specific, you are best off using only one bike. If you don't mind the
    added stuff and dork factor, a bodysock should increase speed significantly.
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth..corsa~~~

    ?
    > Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough for me".
    >
    > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    >

    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  5. Bob: why don't you just do some hardcore training with a fluid trainer at a desent resistance for
    1-3 hrs a day then go out on your bike and you will notice a BIG difference in your speed and you
    will not get tired as fast. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti-Rush

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "EZ Biker :)" wrote:

    > ...The duel 26 wheels [on the Bacchetta Aero] will also allow me to > use some HED wheels that
    > I've always wanted to try....

    Do these wheels fight each other? ;)

    The wheels on the Bacchetta Aero are size ISO 571-mm, which are commonly referred to as 650C by
    those who prefer to use the outdated and inaccurate [1] French bicycle tire sizing system instead of
    the ISO Standard.

    [1] How many 650C and 700C wheel/tire combinations actually have respective rolling diameters of
    650-mm and 700-mm?

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  7. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Robert Siegel wrote:
    > Earlier, I e-mailed Mark Milam the following question. Then I realized that others on this NG
    > might have interesting views.
    >
    > My question boils down to this:
    >
    > Should I get a fairing for my Ti Rush ... or ... should I buy a 2nd "fast-only" bike like a Corsa
    > or Vision R-65? (Assuming that I can afford
    > it.)
    >
    > After six months I find my GRR Ti Rush absolutely superb in terms of comfort, handling, ease of
    > use and overall enjoyment ... and it provides a reasonably fast (for this engine) ride. So .... I
    > have been thinking about a body sock for the Rush. (Even though I ride in North Central Florida,
    > which can get very hot and humid between May and October.)
    >
    > BUT ... I have a hunch a 2nd bike for faster rides might be a better solution. Here's where my
    > thinking is at this point:
    >
    > 1. I really liked my P-38 XT a whole lot but I believe the Bacchetta Corsa/Aero and Vision R-65/68
    > designs have surpassed the P-38's somewhat dated design and componentry.
    >
    > 2. I test rode an Aero (probably too briefly) and at first blush I did NOT like the very high,
    > very laid back seat. Sitting on the Aero, I felt a lot like I did on my former quazi-low racer
    > with a very laid back seat, the Challenge Taifun. A bit too laid back, twitchy and nervous (for
    > me, anyhow) are words that come to mind.
    >
    > 3. My test ride of the new 2002 650c wheeled Vision R-64 was much more favorable than the Aero in
    > terms of comfort, balance, whatever. Also, I suspect the R-64/65/68's speed "loss" to the Aero
    > is NOT major. Maybe 5% ? Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough
    > for me".
    >
    > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.

    Bob, I don't have any direct experience, but most of the go-fast guys in our club who have EasyRacer
    products have opted for the socks rather than another bike. A low-or-highracer will have a different
    pedaling position and require additional training. You may never become proficient at both.

    BTW, the ones who have them ride with them all the time, from 90F+ days to freezing, and in all wind
    conditions up to 50mph gusts, which is about the worst we see in Michigan. I hear occasional
    complaints about weight but they won't take them off for hilly rides, either. Go figure.

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:

    > ... If you don't mind the added stuff and dork factor, a bodysock should increase speed
    > significantly.

    Dork Factor? Not when GatorBob could have his bodysock made from these stretch fabrics. ;)

    < http://www.impalaindustries.com/pinup.htm > < http://www.impalaindustries.com/glamour.htm > <
    http://www.impalaindustries.com/victorian.htm > < http://www.impalaindustries.com/victorian.htm > <
    http://www.impalaindustries.com/newsptbk.htm > < http://www.impalaindustries.com/newtap.htm >.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  9. Bentnut

    Bentnut Guest

    In side by side coast down testing, a faired Ti-Rush was faster than a TI Aero. I wonder when
    someones gonna fair a Bachetta, I'll bet it would scream. Maybe even an F-40 killer.

    Once again, these are my own personal observations. YMMV

    Gabe

    ?
    > Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough for me".
    >
    > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    >

    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  10. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    bentnut wrote:
    > In side by side coast down testing, a faired Ti-Rush was faster than a TI Aero. I wonder when
    > someones gonna fair a Bachetta, I'll bet it would scream. Maybe even an F-40 killer.

    The trouble with fairing a highracer like the Bacchetta Aero is the same problem as fairing a
    lowracer. A fairing that clears the knees and handlebars would be hard to see over. Do-able if
    you're willing to raise the seatback and add to the frontal area, though...

  11. bentnut, I've owned and ridden Easy Racer Products for many years. (TE, GRR Alum, EZ1 & Presently a
    GRR Ti) I'm keeping my GRR Ti; but am adding a Bacchetta Aero to my corral, basically to acquire a
    PERFORMANCE BIKE which needs no additives (Fairings, body socks etc.) to make it go fast, except the
    human powered engine. I'm incline to believe, NOT ALL RECUMBENTS need fairings / Other additives for
    performance. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In side by side coast down testing, a faired Ti-Rush was faster than a TI Aero. I wonder when
    > someones gonna fair a Bachetta, I'll bet it would scream. Maybe even an F-40 killer.
    >
    > Once again, these are my own personal observations. YMMV
    >
    > Gabe
    >

    > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Earlier, I e-mailed Mark Milam the following question. Then I realized
    > that
    > > others on this NG might have interesting views.
    > >
    > > My question boils down to this:
    > >
    > > Should I get a fairing for my Ti Rush ... or ... should I buy a 2nd "fast-only" bike like a
    > > Corsa or Vision R-65? (Assuming that I can
    > afford
    > > it.)
    > >
    > > After six months I find my GRR Ti Rush absolutely superb in terms of comfort, handling, ease of
    > > use and overall enjoyment ... and it provides
    > > reasonably fast (for this engine) ride. So .... I have been thinking
    > about
    > > a body sock for the Rush. (Even though I ride in North Central Florida, which can get very hot
    > > and humid between May and October.)
    > >
    > > BUT ... I have a hunch a 2nd bike for faster rides might be a better solution. Here's where my
    > > thinking is at this point:
    > >
    > > 1. I really liked my P-38 XT a whole lot but I believe the Bacchetta Corsa/Aero and Vision
    > > R-65/68 designs have surpassed the P-38's somewhat dated design and componentry.
    > >
    > > 2. I test rode an Aero (probably too briefly) and at first blush I did
    NOT
    > > like the very high, very laid back seat. Sitting on the Aero, I felt a
    > lot
    > > like I did on my former quazi-low racer with a very laid back seat, the Challenge Taifun. A bit
    > > too laid back, twitchy and nervous (for me,
    > anyhow)
    > > are words that come to mind.
    > >
    > > 3. My test ride of the new 2002 650c wheeled Vision R-64 was much more favorable than the Aero
    > > in terms of comfort, balance, whatever. Also, I suspect the R-64/65/68's speed "loss" to the
    > > Aero is NOT major. Maybe
    5%
    > ?
    > > Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough
    for
    > > me".
    > >
    > > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    > >

    > > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    > >

    > > --
    > > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Dear Gator Bob,

    I have a GR with a body sock but I have not used my body sock in years. The sock definitely makes
    you faster on downhills and flats! Going uphill, of course, you have to push up the extra weight of
    the sock and the supporting apparatus (basically a rear rack with a metal pole). In the northeast, a
    bonus was extra warmth during the winter. I found that on hilly rides the bike was not faster or
    slower overall.

    One downside of the sock is that it makes the bike somewhat unstable in cross winds. My bike never
    crashed from crosswinds, but I had trouble holding my line. At that point, I would take off the sock
    and continue the ride with the sock tucked between my handlebars and the fairing. Another downside
    for me is that I found the sock less fun. It made the bike feel more car like and less bike like.

    I am a little dismayed at your e-mail as I am planning to buy a Ti Rush (to replace my GR). Did
    you find your P-38 to be faster. I was slower on my P-38, so I wonder if the Ti Rush is slower
    than the GR.

    Andy

    ?
    > Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough for me".
    >
    > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    >

    > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    >

    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  13. First, you have to factor in that I am age 74 and my engine will never be what it used to be. Human
    hearts have top limits and as everyone ages their maximum heart rate comes down. Having said that,
    most days I either swim a mile in 33 minutes or ride 12 miles at a 15 mph average speed and once in
    a while I do both. So I am in good physical condition ... for my age, that is.

    When I owned a Challenge Taifun I thought it was the fastest recumbent I'd ever ridden. Still do. My
    next bike, a P-38 XT, was a GREAT bike and I was fast on it but not quite as fast as the Taifun. But
    it climbed better and I just FELT as if I were one with the machine. Somehow with my legs straight
    out, the seating and overall positioning of my body felt as if I was exerting the maximum possible
    power through my legs into the pedals.

    Having said all that I still conclude that after 9 months of ownership my 2002 TiRush is the most
    comfortable, most civilized, most intuitive, best and easiest handling and best riding recumbent
    I've owned. I have finally decided I will continue to work to improve my conditioning and recumbent
    muscle groups and try to move to higher average speeds on my Rush.

    I might eventually buy a two big wheel recumbent like a Vision R-68 or a Bacchetta Aero ... but only
    if I fail to extract satisfactory speeds out of the Ti Rush.

    Right now, I'd bet on the Rush winning this personal-choice race. Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti
    Rush "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > thinking is at this point:
    > >
    > > 1. I really liked my P-38 XT a whole lot but I believe the Bacchetta Corsa/Aero and Vision
    > > R-65/68 designs have surpassed the P-38's somewhat dated design and componentry.
    > >
    > > 2. I test rode an Aero (probably too briefly) and at first blush I did
    NOT
    > > like the very high, very laid back seat. Sitting on the Aero, I felt a
    > lot
    > > like I did on my former quazi-low racer with a very laid back seat, the Challenge Taifun. A bit
    > > too laid back, twitchy and nervous (for me,
    > anyhow)
    > > are words that come to mind.
    > >
    > > 3. My test ride of the new 2002 650c wheeled Vision R-64 was much more favorable than the Aero
    > > in terms of comfort, balance, whatever. Also, I suspect the R-64/65/68's speed "loss" to the
    5%
    > ?
    > > Given my engine and age (74) I also suspect the Vision is "fast enough
    for
    > > me".
    > >
    > > So whaddy'a think? I would very much appreciate any comments.
    > >

    > > Gator Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL
    > >

    > > --
    > > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

  14. OH MY GOD! ANDY, YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE DID YOU???

    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

    > One downside of the sock is that it makes the bike somewhat unstable in cross winds. My bike never
    > crashed from crosswinds, but I had trouble holding my line.

    Tom Poo Sherman IS GONNA GET YOU!!!!!!!! Along with a MILLION other SOCK LOVER Cyclists, from WINDY
    PLACES!!! Batten down the socks, er hatches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl.
    (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

  15. OK Andy, I've calmed down from your Body sock / crosswinds remark! (I'm still licking my old wounds
    from Tom Sherman and others from my less than positive observations about body socks and
    crosswinds... I too moved form a GRR to a GRR Ti and my own PERSONAL experience is, you might not
    actually gain alot of specific higher overall speed, BUT you should be consistently faster in the
    long haul, due to the Ti soaking up the bumps and rough road surfaces. Ti also seems to give back
    what you put in, as far as peddling power. You push the Ti and it will just get you feeling you
    really are moving along at a very good performance level. Although I have a Bacchetta Aero on the
    way, I will NEVER part with my GRR Ti (Or Rans Tailwind) as I truly LOVE and will continue to enjoy
    those bikes. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
    >> I am a little dismayed at your e-mail as I am planning to buy a Ti Rush
    > replace my GR).

  16. EZ --

    Your repeated loyalty pledge sounds a lot like:

    "Darling, although I admit to fooling around with this sleek, shiny fast lightweight babe .... you
    can be sure I always will be loyal to you and come home at night ... no matter how late it may get
    .... and no matter how long, heavy and slow you may start to seem.

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

    "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote > Although I have a Bacchetta Aero on the way, I will
    NEVER part with my GRR
    > Ti (Or Rans Tailwind) as I truly LOVE and will continue to enjoy those bikes.

  17. YES Robert, you are correct on this matter! I'm just a 2 timing ole cheat / sleaze! Maybe I could
    see if the Jerry Springer Show would be interested in my story... ;-) <Grin> EZ (2 timing) Biker :)
    Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:fS%[email protected]...
    > EZ --
    >
    > Your repeated loyalty pledge sounds a lot like:
    >
    > "Darling, although I admit to fooling around with this sleek, shiny fast lightweight babe .... you
    > can be sure I always will be loyal to you and
    come
    > home at night ... no matter how late it may get .... and no matter how long, heavy and slow you
    > may start to seem.
    >
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush
    >
    > "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote > Although I have a Bacchetta Aero on the way, I will
    > NEVER part with my GRR
    > > Ti (Or Rans Tailwind) as I truly LOVE and will continue to enjoy those bikes.

  18. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Gator, Robert, you guys just made me spill coffee over my new keyboard
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.universe..corsa~~~ "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]>
    > YES Robert, you are correct on this matter! I'm just a 2 timing ole cheat
    /
    > sleaze! Maybe I could see if the Jerry Springer Show would be interested
    in
    > my story... ;-) <Grin> EZ (2 timing) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON,
    > Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
    >

    > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:fS%[email protected]...
    > > EZ --
    > >
    > > Your repeated loyalty pledge sounds a lot like:
    > >
    > > "Darling, although I admit to fooling around with this sleek, shiny fast lightweight babe ....
    > > you can be sure I always will be loyal to you and
    > come
    > > home at night ... no matter how late it may get .... and no matter how long, heavy and
    slow
    > > you may start to seem.
    > >
    > > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush
    > >
    > > "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote > Although I have a Bacchetta Aero on the way, I will
    > > NEVER part with my
    GRR
    > > > Ti (Or Rans Tailwind) as I truly LOVE and will continue to enjoy those bikes.

  19. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I just report my own experience. I could well be that more skilled cyclists do not have trouble. I
    cannot even do a track stand.

    Andy

    "EZ Biker :)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:4%[email protected]...
    > OH MY GOD! ANDY, YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE DID YOU???
    >
    > "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >
    > > One downside of the sock is that it makes the bike somewhat unstable in cross winds. My bike
    > > never crashed from crosswinds, but I had trouble holding my line.
    >
    > Tom Poo Sherman IS GONNA GET YOU!!!!!!!! Along with a MILLION other SOCK LOVER Cyclists, from
    > WINDY PLACES!!! Batten down the socks, er hatches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach,
    > Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

  20. Andy

    Andy Guest

    We will see. If you truly love your new bike, and find it faster, more comfortable, and more fun,
    why would you want to ride your old ones? OTOH, if the new bike turns out to be slower, less
    comfortable, and less fun, why not sell it.

    That happened to me years ago when I thought a P-38 would be better than my TE, and it was not.

    Andy