Body Weight and Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nicholas, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    I was reading a 800 pages lecture on diabetes by a famous nutritionist and Ph.D It seems, according
    to his review on medical literature, that insulin resistance doesn't occur on lean, thin,
    non-overweight or normal-weight people He also says that the only cases known of insulin resistance
    in non-overweight people is seen on people suffering from lipodystrophy (that's usually linked with
    retrovirals drugs) Nevertheless, he also says that 8 pounds overweigth are sufficent to cause
    problems related to insulin resistance and losing that 8 pounds in excess will reverse insulin
    resistance Of course, it's still argueable what is underweight and overweight as Metlife charts are
    without doubts unreliable and personalized BIA, DEXA, NIR and Underwater Weighing should be
    performed to known exactly your ideal weight It isn't still clear yet if underweight people who have
    a high body fat percentage (30-40%) can be considered obese despite being underweight and if their
    high body fat mass levels can be linked to insulin resistance Bottom line: thin people are almost
    never insulin resistant Is that true ?

    Is there anyone here who is diabetic, insulin resistant and underweight ?

    Niky

    Tags: