bodysoc / fairing for a road bike

Just A User

Guest
O.K. I know some of the regulars here are going to be like wtf! But
anyway I have to ask my google image seach came back negative. Does
anyone know of anyone who has a picture of a real road bike with a body
sock.

Just A User aka Ken ? wrote:
> O.K. I know some of the regulars here are going to be like wtf!

WTF is a bodysock? ;)

(Me a few years back):
<http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm>.

> But anyway I have to ask my google image seach came back negative. Does
> anyone know of anyone who has a picture of a real road bike with a body
> sock.

My educated guess would be that an upright with a bodysock would be a
PITA in crosswinds (however, bodysocks improve the crosswind handling of
LWB recumbents compared to having a front only fairing). There have been
a few uprights with full hardshell fairings at IHPVA events in the past,
and handling problems due to wind were reported.

If you want a bodysock fairing, Zzipper makes front fairing for
uprights: <http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_upright.php>.

A tail-cone could be made from corrugated polymer board such as
Coroplast [TM]: <http://www.coroplast.com/>.
Here is the great Oscar Egg with a tail-cone:
<http://gart-recumbent.republika.pl/history/1932_oscaregg_track.jpg>.

Buy some Lycra stretch fabric and sew the rest yourself (been there,
done that). Trial and error in fitting will be required.

BEER IS FOOD

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> WTF is a bodysock? ;)
>
> (Me a few years back):
> <http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm>.

Nice socks. ;) Also, you remind me of a younger Sting. js.

\\paul